Receipt/Bill of Sale for Registering with FAA

You must have telepathy... I felt the same about the blood moon! lol...

Not to get this thread way off track, but here is my attempt at the blood moon, and I used a Canon 1D Mark IV with a 300m f/2.8 lens with a 2x teleconverter, and I STILL had to do some major cropping!!! Now imagine what a cell phone would shoot? Boggles my mind really...

AL0C6544-Edit.jpg

And if the $500 guy drops his prices, he probably won't be able to survive. I do my share of free shooting, but I also do my share of paid work as well. I know not a lot of people agree, but sometimes you have to do the free stuff to get the paid stuff. I just love to shoot, it's my "happy place". Shooting a lot of my school's high school sports this week, so it'll be a happy week... lol... And I'll be happier a few weeks later when I hear from parents asking for prints.. :)

If by some chance I get my 333 without issue, probably not until March or so, I still won't risk flying paid until the pilots license thing gets worked out. I want to make money, but not that bad...
Exactly! The guy shooting legally for money cannot compete and will lose money trying to do so at the prices he has to charge to make a profit, because too many hobby drone owners (1,000,000+ and counting) will shoot the shot just for the experience! Photographers have become just another category of starving artists where the love of the craft keeps their interest rather than profitability. They have to love it to stay with it, and must have either have a day job or a financially supporting spouse to pay the bills. Have you heard that all used professional full frame glass is now selling for 75 cents on the dollar, as mirrorless 4/3 cameras and lenses are taking over? Professional glass was supposed to be an investment that would hold its value. No more.:eek:

You must have telepathy... I felt the same about the blood moon! lol...

Not to get this thread way off track, but here is my attempt at the blood moon, and I used a Canon 1D Mark IV with a 300m f/2.8 lens with a 2x teleconverter, and I STILL had to do some major cropping!!! Now imagine what a cell phone would shoot? Boggles my mind really...

View attachment 34811
I used a 70-200mm f/2.8 with a 2x TC on a Nikon 1.5 X crop sensor in a 1.3 frame crop mode (800mm f/5.6 equivalent but not in quality) handheld at ISO 6400 and still only filled 1/3 of the frame! I have actually had the drone in the air just after sunset during the moon rising. At 20mm equivalent, the moon looks like a star!

I used a 70-200mm f/2.8 with a 2x TC on a Nikon 1.5 X crop sensor in a 1.3 frame crop mode (800mm f/5.6 equivalent but not in quality) handheld at ISO 6400 and still only filled 1/3 of the frame! I have actually had the drone in the air just after sunset during the moon rising. At 20mm equivalent, the moon looks like a star!

I had just gotten back from a full day of shooting a NASCAR race in Loudon, NH. My dad and I watched it as we drove home (2.5 hours or less). Got home about 10:30pm and flew like crazy to get my gear set up. I have a wired shutter release, simple but effective, but a crappy tripod since I don't do too much tripod stuff.

Sorry if this thread is getting off track.... lol...

If by some chance I get my 333 without issue, probably not until March or so, I still won't risk flying paid until the pilots license thing gets worked out. I want to make money, but not that bad...
Then, why waste your time getting the 333 exemptions? when the Part 107 rules are finalized sometime next year there will be a new class of airman's certificate for commercial drone operators plus a set of new rules that will make the section 333 exemptions irrelevant.

Then, why waste your time getting the 333 exemptions? when the Part 107 rules are finalized sometime next year there will be a new class of airman's certificate for commercial drone operators plus a set of new rules that will make the section 333 exemptions irrelevant.

Well what if that doesn't happen. What if I wait and almost all of next year goes by? And if I do get my 333, and a pilots license is still required, then I'd have to refuse the work until either the requirement passes, or I find a PIC wit a license. I've already said I wouldn't fly for pay unless I had everything in place. But why wait? Especially with how quick they move (NOT!) and with how bad they're going to get flooded if drone registration is required... I just don't like wasting time...

Reactions: BigAl07
I had just gotten back from a full day of shooting a NASCAR race in Loudon, NH. My dad and I watched it as we drove home (2.5 hours or less). Got home about 10:30pm and flew like crazy to get my gear set up. I have a wired shutter release, simple but effective, but a crappy tripod since I don't do too much tripod stuff.

Sorry if this thread is getting off track.... lol...
A welcome derailment! :cool:

Hey, they're free! It's like running for President! Almost anyone can! :) Looks good on your CV!:D

Registering your drone is a good move because whether you fly under a 333 exemption or wait for the Part 107 rules, the drone will still need to be registered.
There is no way that an airman's certificate won't be required. That's a statutory requirement that the FAA can't exempt.

Registering your drone is a good move because whether you fly under a 333 exemption or wait for the Part 107 rules, the drone will still need to be registered.
There is no way that an airman's certificate won't be required. That's a statutory requirement that the FAA can't exempt.
What's the rush to register? It's not like there will be a 6 month wait to register, especially if they were thinking they'd have a registration requirement in place by Christmas. By the way, CostCo did an end run around that, by stocking their Christmas drones last week in all the warehouses with their Christmas merchandise. As of tonight, sold out all over the U.S!:p

What's the rush to register? It's not like there will be a 6 month wait to register, especially if they were thinking they'd have a registration requirement in place by Christmas. By the way, CostCo did an end run around that, by stocking their Christmas drones last week in all the warehouses with their Christmas merchandise. As of tonight, sold out all over the U.S!:p

For me, again, it was "why wait". With what I'm hoping to use it for I figure it would be required someday. And if they happen to require registration, then I beat the rush! lol... I had to call them about my application last week, and the lady I spoke with wasn't too thrilled with the fact that this might end up being required, being that I'm sure they'll be swamped...

For me, again, it was "why wait". With what I'm hoping to use it for I figure it would be required someday. And if they happen to require registration, then I beat the rush! lol... I had to call them about my application last week, and the lady I spoke with wasn't too thrilled with the fact that this might end up being required, being that I'm sure they'll be swamped...
My thoughts are that anything that delays this whole process works in my favor. I like no rules (except for no reckless flying) better. The window of unfettered hobby shooting is limited. I'm flying every day everywhere I can, avoiding people, and attracting as little attention as possible. The skies are as uncrowded as they ever will be! We are in the Glory Days of Hobby Flying! Enjoy them! Get out and fly. For the time being, you can even fly at night and as far away as you can control your bird! :p

All drones flying under the Section 333 exemptions are required to be registered. If you fill out the paperwork correctly, that only takes a few weeks. The proposed emergency rule to register all model aircraft is going to be a problem for everyone, including the FAA.

I am certain that the FAA Registration division in Oklahoma City are probably just as confused and concerned as we are. They see a few dozen registrations a month and all of a sudden they are going to get 2 Million drone registration applications? It's more likely that the registration of model aircraft will be contracted to a private organization. One with a history with the FAA.

All drones flying under the Section 333 exemptions are required to be registered. If you fill out the paperwork correctly, that only takes a few weeks. The proposed emergency rule to register all model aircraft is going to be a problem for everyone, including the FAA.

I am certain that the FAA Registration division in Oklahoma City are probably just as confused and concerned as we are. They see a few dozen registrations a month and all of a sudden they are going to get 2 Million drone registration applications? It's more likely that the registration of model aircraft will be contracted to a private organization. One with a history with the FAA.
Understood, but I see no benefit to registering permaturely without an accepted 333 Exemption. The longer it takes them to register the 2 million drones, the bigger the window of unregistered flying, as they can't require proof of registration when there is still a huge backlog of registration requests. "Go fly my pretties... fly... FLY!" :cool:

All drones flying under the Section 333 exemptions are required to be registered. If you fill out the paperwork correctly, that only takes a few weeks.

I put mine into the post office on 10/20/2015 and got the Registration card in the mail today. Not too bad thus far.

Understood, but I see no benefit to registering permaturely without an accepted 333 Exemption. The longer it takes them to register the 2 million drones, the bigger the window of unregistered flying, as they can't require proof of registration when there is still a huge backlog of registration requests. "Go fly my pretties... fly... FLY!" :cool:
What if the FAA decides that effective 1/1/2016, any model aircraft that is not registered cannot be flown?
If you are planning to get the section 333 exemptions, then there's no reason to not get your aircraft registered while you wait for the exemption number.

What if the FAA decides that effective 1/1/2016, any model aircraft that is not registered cannot be flown?
If you are planning to get the section 333 exemptions, then there's no reason to not get your aircraft registered while you wait for the exemption number.
Not planning on ever getting a section 333 exemption, but for those that are already in the cue, yes, it makes sense to go ahead and register the aircraft while waiting for the exemption number. Might as well: you have already given up all privacy and personal information for the world to see online, just by applying for the section 333 exemption. However for the rest of the 1,998,000 of us, who prefer our privacy, there is still absolutely no benefit to doing so prematurely.

How, exactly, would the FAA prevent the flying of unregistered model aircraft, assuming they decided to, effective 1/1/2016, hypothetically? Are they now going to also outsource the enforcement to bounty hunter drone police who collect a bounty every time they find someone flying an unregistered drone after Christmas, assuming the pilot can even be found?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik