Rebuilding trust

Reaction score
Spent the weekend getting reacquainted with my P3P after a crash. Thanks to Hunch for the repair and fast turn around! Those first few flights are kind of like reconciling a relationship that went through a rough patch. I need to rebuild my trust in the bird and learn how to dance again. :)

That bit of 'doubt' and mistrust is a good thing.

It should be part of your decision making process on the appropriateness of flight in any given location or situation.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes I know how you feel. I have done my last 6 flights at low altitude over grass, or sand, after my Phantom fell out of the sky. I have replaced all motors and ESCs, and she flies perfectly, but.........

My very first post crash flight was in 15mph wind (I couldn't wait any longer) in a football field. Got a compass error and brought her down to recalibrate. The initial calibration had felt a bit awkward and was not level but no issues since. You can bet I keep a close eye on the app for any indication of potential issues.

This thing is just so easy to fly compared to other rotor craft that it is easy to take it for granted. It was really cool being able to collect more footage and photos again. Need more time to fly.

That bit of 'doubt' and mistrust is a good thing.

It should be part of your decision making process on the appropriateness of flight in any given location or situation.
Very well said. :)

My very first post crash flight was in 15mph wind (I couldn't wait any longer) in a football field. Got a compass error and brought her down to recalibrate. The initial calibration had felt a bit awkward and was not level but no issues since. You can bet I keep a close eye on the app for any indication of potential issues.

This thing is just so easy to fly compared to other rotor craft that it is easy to take it for granted. It was really cool being able to collect more footage and photos again. Need more time to fly.
Yes as many have commented your preflight checks are super important,too easy to just power up and take off, I once forgot to fit my higher powered antenna, the Phantom flew OK , but I was rescued by the RTH feature, which is scary when it first happens.

Spent the weekend getting reacquainted with my P3P after a crash. Thanks to Hunch for the repair and fast turn around! Those first few flights are kind of like reconciling a relationship that went through a rough patch. I need to rebuild my trust in the bird and learn how to dance again. :)

Who's Hunch? Did you pay for the repairs or does Hunch do warranty work as well? With all of the service issues people are saying about DJI, it may be good to have another source for repairs, especially once out of warranty.

Who's Hunch? Did you pay for the repairs or does Hunch do warranty work as well? With all of the service issues people are saying about DJI, it may be good to have another source for repairs, especially once out of warranty.
He's a guy in the midwest that does repair work, not warranty work. Did a crapload of work on the P2V's that kept crashing last year.

Hunch (PhantomPilots handle) is Hani Lanzi from UAVrepairshop.com. I believe he is independent from DJI and probably doesn't do DJI warranty work. I would ask him to be certain. But he does repair a lot of these drones and has many years of experience. If I were to crash a drone due to some warranty condition, it would be a really tough call to wait on DJI for months or just get it done quickly through one of the independent outfits. I guess it boils down to how long you can live w/o the thing. For small-ish repairs, it's probably worth your time to get it done via an independent shop for a couple of hundred bucks. If it was a total loss, you may just have to wait it out.

There are several online folks who do this kind of work if you look around. I only have experience with Hunch but I suspect there are other good ones as well. Those who turn a lot of repairs may also have the option of getting scrap parts which will be cheaper than new. Just something to keep in mind.

There are several online folks who do this kind of work if you look around. I only have experience with Hunch but I suspect there are other good ones as well. Those who turn a lot of repairs may also have the option of getting scrap parts which will be cheaper than new. Just something to keep in mind.

That's a good point you made there. I suppose in a way this is our own P3 junkyard? :)

I'd like to put in a good word for UAVrepairshop.com. On Sunday my P3P developed a couple of issues. I could no longer see the video feed on my tablet and I was unable to do a firmware update on my aircraft. Yesterday I contacted Hani from UAVrepairshop.com. Since I'm fortunate to live within an hour's drive of his location, I was able to bring my device in to him yesterday after work.

It was fun to watch him work. Hani is very efficient and fast. He was able to determine that the board in my gimbal had died. Since DJI doesn't provide the boards alone as replacement parts, he needed to replace the entire gimbal. It took him less than an hour to diagnose the problem, replace the gimbal and update the firmware, as we watched. And it only cost me $250 plus the gas to drive there.

It sure beats sending it away and waiting weeks to get it back!

Reactions: Phil56

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20