Reasonable Remote Contol Distance

Reaction score
Today I was up flying - fairly open area - about 200' altitude and about 1000' out - open area - I got the "control signal lost" and it started RTH. No power lines nearby, etc. Only mods I have done are the WiFi extender TP-LINK Omni antenna for the WiFi extender. Otherwise the remote and bird are stock. Fresh set of fully charged Sanyo Eneloop Pro's in the remote too.

Is this a reasonable distance to expect from the stock remote transmitter? I thought I read somewhere it was good for about one mile. I had the remote transmitter antenna perpendicular to the ground. Now I am a bit skiddish going too far out...

Thanks - John.

How many flights have you made? I have a theory with new copters the transmit power is given gradually. I even showed this to my wife when I made the 1st few flights after setting it up out of the box. I lost connection at 400ft, then 700ft, then 900ft. Around 20 flights it jumped from 1700ft to 2600ft. These all were max altitude flights which were straight up with no flying around. I then installed the $8.99 app and stopped at 4200ft after 9 days.

flyNfrank said:
How many flights have you made? I have a theory with new copters the transmit power is given gradually. I even showed this to my wife when I made the 1st few flights after setting it up out of the box. I lost connection at 400ft, then 700ft, then 900ft. Around 20 flights it jumped from 1700ft to 2600ft. These all were max altitude flights which were straight up with no flying around. I then installed the $8.99 app and stopped at 4200ft after 9 days.

What $8.99 app is that if you don't mind?

J.

Yes
V+ Booster.

Channel70Productions said:
What does that app do exactly - and how? Just curious.

Here I'll just give it to you straight...
Description
Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster (V+ Booster) improves Wi-Fi video connection (FPV, First Personal View) performance for DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. It boosts additional 50%-100% FPV range by a single click.

How it works:
1. Turn on both Phantom 2 Vision+ aircraft and range extender, and connect your Android device to Wi-Fi network as usual.
2. Open V+ Booster app, tap “Boost up!” button. The app connects to Vision+ aircraft through the Wi-Fi network, then it boosts up Wi-Fi power and applies tweaks to the aircraft. It will display a message "Your Vision+ is boosted up".
3. Open DJI VISION app, and Happy Flying.

Note: Every time when you power cycle Vision+ aircraft or range extender, you need to run V+ Booster app to take effect.

WARNING: Vision+ Wi-Fi Booster is ONLY compatible with DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus). Running the app on other incompatible platforms (including original Phantom 2 Vision) may encounter unexpected results.

FAQ:
Q1. Does it boost 5.8G control link?
A1. NO. This V+ Booster app only boosts 2.4G Wi-Fi video connection (FPV) while the 5.8G control link remains the same.

Q2. Does it consume more battery power to shorten flight time or generate extra heat to damage the circuit?
A2. It consumes VERY little extra power and generate NO extra heat. It's estimated shortening less than 10 seconds of flight time out of 25 minutes.

Q3. How to test it working?
A3. Fly your Vision+ WITHOUT turning on the booster (as a reference) to your favorite flight path until Wi-Fi video dropped. Fly back your Vision+ and run the V+ Booster app, then fly again the same flight path with the same Preview Quality for apple-to-apple comparison. It may fly out of your 5.8G control range and trigger RTH.

This app is a better option and has much more adjustability https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ypro&hl=en

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1