Really stupid questions and their answers

Reaction score
Hi, I am kinda new to all this, My background is flying by wire, but that was over 50 years ago. I have been building plastic models so I can airbrush pretty good and I look forward to putting a cool skull on my quad.

But I have what is a very stupid question, I just want to confirm what I assume (making an *** out of you and me) and that is this hardware module called the GPS PUCK. Now I am aware the first letter is a p not an f so we can move past the juvenile jokes. I had to r and r my gps device and I notice it is round, is this the GPS Puck and called a puck because of it's shape? If it happened to be square would it still be called a puck or would that become confusing. Am I really confused? Now if you (whoever replies) that there is a part on that GPS Module that is called the gps puck then I will have learned something. thanks

if you google "gps puck" you'll see that many do look like a hockey puck.
..although the DJI puck looks more like a flying saucer.

the Phantom tho, does not really have a puck. just a circular shaped circuit board of a sorts inside the top shell.

Gizmo3000 said:

the Phantom tho, does not really have a puck. just a circular shaped circuit board of a sorts inside the top shell.

Oh, so different module in the Phantom 2 then the Phantom 1. I had to change the top shell on my Phantom V1.2 so I have seen the gps module. And as you suggested (I thought I had tried already) I googled gps puck and I see why it is called a puck. Now in the past I have been called a dumb puck so I feel better knowing what the heck I am talking bout. thanks

Wedeliver said:
Gizmo3000 said:

Oh, so different module in the Phantom 2 then the Phantom 1. I had to change the top shell on my Phantom V1.2 so I have seen the gps module. And as you suggested (I thought I had tried already) I googled gps puck and I see why it is called a puck. Now in the past I have been called a dumb puck so I feel better knowing what the heck I am talking bout. thanks

P2 and P1 have the same GPS module AFAIK. There may be a minor difference between the P2 and Vision where the compass plugs into the mainboard rather than the GPS, but the function is essentially the same and the signal is mixed before being sent to the NAZA.

9FD6319C-266B-4468-8EEF-E714E328E5E0_zps0qio9g16.jpg

Take care, Fly safe!

I thought (thats what I get for thinking) or should I say I did not think that the gps module in the other models of the Phantom might be at all different then then one I worked with in a Phantom 1. As suggested I googled gps puck, which I thought I had done previously, and I see the vulcanized disk that truly looks like a puck. Since the module in the Phantom V1 is not a vulcanized disk I was not sure what the gps puck was. But you can bet I know now. Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20