Really shakey flight

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I'm a very new phantom owner with only about 20 flights under my belt. My first flights were pretty good actyally but things have got worse.

You can see a flight from yesterday here http://youtu.be/JX9v5lbG6l0

You will see it's pretty jumpy, nothing like the smooth flowing movies I see posted here :(

Since my first flight, only 2 things have changed
1) I mounted my gopro by velcro to a gopro floaty which was mounted to the rear door of the waterproof case, that case was mounted to the phantom - this was to put the camera far enough forward to miss the skids as well as provide some cushioning.
2) I have had a few crashes which leave the props with very small dents, maybe 1mm max on the edges.

Do you think any of the above could have caused such shakey flying or is it just me. ?

It was not windy

Thanks

Angus

Frequent prop balancing and fine tuning (removing burrs or dents) is critical to stable flight.

It's definitely worth the investment to get a good prop balancer jig.

Just my 2 cents!

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Could you post a photo of your Phantom with the Go Pro attached?
It is possible that the center of gravity is way out front.

The velcro mount could also be the cause since velco is a bit spongy.

Are you flying in GPS mode? Atti mode provides smother video while you make small gentle corrections. Don't panic. Try to avoid flying straight up and particularly coming straight down to fast (to avoid Prop-wash)...

With the props and crash damage I think its best to make sure your props are well balanced and any with visible damage should be replaced. The props are pretty cheap and if one has a small fracture or any damage it is more likely to fail in flight that will bring the phantom down with it so way too risky I think. Balancing the props gives much smoother flights and footage it also helps reduce excess vibrations in the frame which too much of will likely wiggle something lose or even cause the frame to develop cracks in it.

Regarding your mount it may have an effect as others have said but without seeing a pic of it its hard to say.

One other thing you should do ks an advanced calibration any time after a crash or even rough landing, followed by a compass calibration. Also make sure the first 5 seconds after connecting the battery you keep the phantom completely still to allow warmup calibration to be done properly pre flight.

Thanks everyone, I had considered re-calibration but the stories of fly aways after updating have me worried!!

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of a prop balancer and new props in the UK?

Thanks

Angus

This is not my Phantom but it's set up the way mine used to be with the floaty on the case and the camera mounted to the floaty by velcro.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 10.39.04.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 10.39.04.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 460
The pic is pretty low res and hard to see whats going on but I wonder why you would want to put the camera shooting backwards like that. Regular position as I have it just on a Anti jello mount keeps the landing gear out of the shot and also props unless pointed too high up, maybe your method is to enable straight down shooting without landing gear otherwise I cant see the reasoning for such a mounting method.

ezkn.jpg

Probably the best prop balancer is the DuBro and should be easily available in the UK along with replacement stock props at any hobby stockists or online stores.

Thanks for that, I agree - low res pics and I can;t be bothered getting mine back to the way it was until after I have tried a new test flight today.

What the pic does not show is that the camera actually faces forward, it is stuck to that floaty device using velcro, that keeps it well forward of the skids

Cheers

Angus

Hi FangsCPO, thanks for that link, will this mount put the camera forward enough to keep the skids from the frame?

I tried flying with just the normal mount on and it did fly much better but I now get the skids in the frame, maybe just me but considering the phantom was designed specifically for the gopro, that seems a design flaw!1 As does the absence of a on / off switch!

Angus

Angusforbes said:
Hi FangsCPO, thanks for that link, will this mount put the camera forward enough to keep the skids from the frame?

I tried flying with just the normal mount on and it did fly much better but I now get the skids in the frame, maybe just me but considering the phantom was designed specifically for the gopro, that seems a design flaw!1 As does the absence of a on / off switch!

Angus

I have my HERO3 mounted using this anti-jello mount and my cameral slightly angled downward. I also record in Medium instead of wide and my skids have never appeared in any of my videos. Take a look at two of my videos. Good Luck!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8EhNmXso7g[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frxdQw0oLIs[/youtube]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers