Really impressed by the strength of the P3P in a crash...

Reaction score
I was out doing some beta testing for a new P3P app today when I got a desperate phonecall from one of my students flying a P3P.

She had lost all sight and contact with the MR. And she was panicking. I told her to push return to home, she did and nothing happened, it was hard to understand the exact situation. She was very upset. So I told her to relax and I will be down in 15 minutes or so.

I talked to her on the way to the racetrack where she had been shooting. The power reported on the MR ws 37% and you could see the video feed, it looks like mud and a bit of sky. I had her try a few things like try to understand the radar, but she was to upset.

Well I got down there and tried to use the radar to find the MR now it was down to 12%. Anyway I downloaded her log from the iPad and uploaded it to HealthyDrones and exported the KML, loaded it in Google earth and this is what we saw:
Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 16.56.09.jpg

Well this was from 6 months ago, but it showed the exact direction and distance to the MR.

And amazingly there it was stuck 12' up a steep pile of rocks still running the lights. We got a ladder and climbed up to get it. And I turned it off. It had crashed right into a pile of granite blocks left during the construction of this new race track. The props were cracked but everything else looked fine.

I put new props on and did a test flight. Unbelievable everything worked 100%. Now if that had been my S800 with Zenmuse. I would have had a $8,000.00 insurance claim. But no cracks in the arms or anything, amazing.

She got away cheap, a new set of props.

The reason for the crash, she flew into the sun, one of the first things I teach students not to do.
Panicked and descended straight down into the rock pile without seeing the MR.

Great product DJI!

Well now...................... there's a thread title ya don't see very often around here! I just wanted to point that out.

Reactions: bobmyers
I'm also impressed, due to a slight distraction I hit a wall. Only damage was cracked props, but then again it was only a 15ft drop.
I was out doing some beta testing for a new P3P app today when I got a desperate phonecall from one of my students flying a P3P.

She had lost all sight and contact with the MR. And she was panicking. I told her to push return to home, she did and nothing happened, it was hard to understand the exact situation. She was very upset. So I told her to relax and I will be down in 15 minutes or so.

I talked to her on the way to the racetrack where she had been shooting. The power reported on the MR ws 37% and you could see the video feed, it looks like mud and a bit of sky. I had her try a few things like try to understand the radar, but she was to upset.

Well I got down there and tried to use the radar to find the MR now it was down to 12%. Anyway I downloaded her log from the iPad and uploaded it to HealthyDrones and exported the KML, loaded it in Google earth and this is what we saw:
View attachment 35079

Well this was from 6 months ago, but it showed the exact direction and distance to the MR.

And amazingly there it was stuck 12' up a steep pile of rocks still running the lights. We got a ladder and climbed up to get it. And I turned it off. It had crashed right into a pile of granite blocks left during the construction of this new race track. The props were cracked but everything else looked fine.

I put new props on and did a test flight. Unbelievable everything worked 100%. Now if that had been my S800 with Zenmuse. I would have had a $8,000.00 insurance claim. But no cracks in the arms or anything, amazing.

She got away cheap, a new set of props.

The reason for the crash, she flew into the sun, one of the first things I teach students not to do.
Panicked and descended straight down into the rock pile without seeing the MR.

Great product DJI!

It's good it survived, seems to be too many just cracking with normal flying and No crashing.
D

I ran into some branches 100 feet up in the air. The sound that the phantom made while falling down to the ground made me want to cry. The motors were screeching like they wanted to turn but couldnt. I now have a grass stain and one less prop. Everything else is fine

The past weekend I did a shoot at a local mall here in Johannesburg and flew my bird into a stage where a band was singing. Besides the brused ego the bird suffered some shell cracks and all 4 props were wasted due to it landing upside down on the prop heads. Monday morning I bought 2 shells: one for a friends whos P3P has stress crackes and myne. I rebuilt here till 2am that night and I can proudly say she is as new. Did'nt think I could do it but there are such helpful clips on youtube that it made it quite simple. Still suffering from my brused ego a bit but that should dissapate after this weekends flying. "Get back into the saddle ASAP"

Reactions: Flying Dutchman
2 weeks ago my p3p shut down due to a battery problem at more then 400 ft and it crashed into forest. I was very lucky. I broke only 1 prop and minor arms cracks. I resolve the problem with super glue. It was a bad feeling when I was watchingmthe falling of my p3.

Multi-rotor.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.