Real World Zenmuse

Annnnd...."Another one bites the dust"

Just installed yesterday, after upgrading to the 3.14 firmware (factory firmware for the Zenmuse).

Couple of tests, and after 30 or so mins began making that God awful high pitched squeal, before becoming completely unresponsive minutes later.

Time for an exchange...

...unfortunately I bought mine from DSLRpros, which lately has had absolutely appalling customer service.

Thank you for the heads up, TacoGrease, as I was thinking of buying something else from DSLR Pros (bought my Phantom from them and thankfully no problems with it). Unfortunately, too many people are becoming DJI Beta Testers (aka Paying Customers). The only way DJI (or any other poorly run company) will understand what "Customer Service" means, is if people vote with their wallets.

Seems really to be that rear motor that is the issue (which I've heard elsewhere) - gets incredibly hot and smells like something's cooking.

Tried connect the GCU to the computer to check/update the firmware, but the computer won't recognize it o_O

I just finished reading this thread and found it a bit disheartening. I received my H3-2D last week and just got it installed yesterday. All went well, and my first couple of test flights went beautifully, with everything working perfectly (as soon as I got used to starting the camera without putting it into Hibernation Mode).

But reading these comments, it sounds like it's just a matter of time before I have issues. I also wonder: is it just 'squeaky wheel' (or 'squealing motor' in this case) syndrome? Are people just posting here when things go wrong, and all the positive experiences aren't being posted because nothing's gone wrong? I'll post back here after a few weeks with it, even if everything is going well. I really hope I don't get these issues.

jLake said:
I just finished reading this thread and found it a bit disheartening. I received my H3-2D last week and just got it installed yesterday. All went well, and my first couple of test flights went beautifully, with everything working perfectly (as soon as I got used to starting the camera without putting it into Hibernation Mode).

But reading these comments, it sounds like it's just a matter of time before I have issues. I also wonder: is it just 'squeaky wheel' (or 'squealing motor' in this case) syndrome? Are people just posting here when things go wrong, and all the positive experiences aren't being posted because nothing's gone wrong? I'll post back here after a few weeks with it, even if everything is going well. I really hope I don't get these issues.

Mine's been working great. No problems to report. I think that as long as you updated the GCU, IMU and CMU firmware to the current version, there haven't been any new reported problems. It seems like the original firmware was the culprit.

I have seen some incredible footage from the Zenmuse and plenty of folks are having zero problems.

But yes, there was a issue but I hope it's been taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tmcgowan said:
jLake said:

Mine's been working great. No problems to report. I think that as long as you updated the GCU, IMU and CMU firmware to the current version, there haven't been any new reported problems. It seems like the original firmware was the culprit.

That's a relief, thanks. I updated everything before my install and it was a great second run today. Even got it over the water, and while it wasn't good for my nerves, the footage was fantastic.

Just thought I'd share. My gimble went limp last week and there was nothing I could do. Similar issue that many of you are having. I sent it back to dealer I bought it from and dji is going to replace it for free! I hope they can do the se for everyone else

Well, I started this topic on July 13th. Because of Zenmuse v1 issues, the addition to a upgrade board I have waited for install.
Got word yesterday from ATL Hobby all is in and they are ready for me.
Will FedEx the Phantom up there Monday so they can install and upgrade FW to what ever VER they think best.
The only Mods I've added are a FPV down link of which I am not happy with and a filter mod from snake river that I'm very happy with.
I look forward to putting the Zenmuse through its paces and will advise the outcome.
All in all I think the timing has worked out.
My crashes are behind me, the error of not keeping up with my flight times are behind me, I have learned to balance my props and my orientation has improved. I don't freak out now when the phantom does things, or I do things that causes momentary craziness.

The main thing I have learned is, DO NOT UPDATE FW if you don't have a problem or a mod addition and have a great dealer who will spend time with you.

And finally, EVERYTHING IN THE INTERNET IS TRUE. Right? ;-)

E

I find that when you order stuff like the gimbal, best to have it installed by a shop or the factory. Have them update the firmware and sign off on it. That way, anything goes haywire and you have a place to lean on. May cost a bit more, but peace of mind is worth it.

blackoakcreative said:
I find that when you order stuff like the gimbal, best to have it installed by a shop or the factory. Have them update the firmware and sign off on it. That way, anything goes haywire and you have a place to lean on. May cost a bit more, but peace of mind is worth it.
Roger that!

R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I picked up my Phantom today with the newly installed Upgrade Board and V2 Zenmuse.

3 flights later: Everything works great. Zenmuse is extremely stable. With the new upgrade board, Zenmuse, 5.6 Downlink. Im getting 9 mins per battery. Running ver 3.16 that the dealer installed. Before the Zenmuse and new board was installed I was getting 8 to 9 mins flight time so no change.

Phantom seems to be a bit more stable.

Will report further after several more flights.

E

Audaciter said:
Thanks for the update edunwody. Atlanta Hobby took care of you quite quickly. How far are they from you ?
I'm about 100 miles South. I shipped it up there but picked it up. Wanted to talk to them about all the Forum issues and looking at getting a S800 EVO. You need to be patient to get one on one with them but once they get to you they stay with you until you give out of things to talk about. The owner is pretty much in the know with all the FAA issues and sits on several committees in the US.
Their builders are pros and have real world knowledge of all sorts of RC and AP platforms. Pretty impressive shop. You walk in the front door and its pretty plain. Go in back and it's a machine back there.
I could give opinions they gave me on DJI products and Internet forum issues but would probably start a firestorm on the forums. I'm not a hobbiest just a operator and film guy so I don't tinker. They are my shop and I value that.
My thoughts on DJI are clear. If I buy a Ford, I don't go to the Ford Car Corporation if I have a issue. I go to my Ford dealership. That's how I see DJI. ( though their communications sux)
I don't drive a Ford. Maybe I should have said Audi or Mini Cooper ;-)

E

Good deal, It's nice to know you have dealer with knowledgeable staff, that can stand behind their work, and get
it done right, without call backs.

I live very close, 5 miles from Heli-World, and they are nice, but I have found Aerial Media Pro's in the Los Angeles area,
to be top notch, especially from a customer service point of view.

Snake River Prototyping personnel are great too. I believe they are planning an FPV system for the Phantom.
should be interesting. Everything they do is high quality.

SimonB said:
There's conjecture around another Phantom forum that I frequent that the v2 HD-2D kit DOESN'T have different motors. Any comments on that edunwody?
DJI is building motors in house now. First batch were outsourced.
That is what I was told and have no reason to argue.

Just my 2 cents and hearsay. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers