Real world FPV performance/expectations?

Reaction score
I know you can spend enough time and money to get a crystal clear pic from 10 miles out - that's not what I'm asking... Staying with 5.8ghz equip, ~500mw, slightly upgraded antennas, what kind of range/performance can I expect? Would I lose video signal if I fly around a bushy tree, or around my house? With this kind of setup, should I expect only LOS to keep a decent picture?

The BIG majority of my RC experience has been with cars and trucks where range never comes into play - so I guess I'd have the same questions about 2.4ghz control.

Would I run out of rc range or video range first?

This is all based on a soon to be purchased Phantom2.

My setup kind of looks like the Call of Duty's AC130 gunner killstreak (especially when I do circles) on my monitor, so yeah it's a little fuzzy but I can see like 85%-ish of everything. With the iOSD HUD, it definitely looks like it to me. I want to switch the goggles if that is better.

Haven't ever lost signal yet, but I generally don't fly out of sight so far. With stock antennas, I can get signal through 1-2 walls of my house before I start losing it.

rctoyguy said:
With this kind of setup, should I expect only LOS to keep a decent picture?

Yes, 5.8ghz FPV requires an uninterrupted LOS, doesn't take much at all to interfere with the signal. Other common FPV frequencies are available with better penetration, but usually at the expense of range and hardware options.

The range you can expect depends largely on which antennae you use, but even with an "average" aftermarket set you should be able to get several hundred meters or more out of 5.8GHz. Your FPV range probably won't outstrip your control signal until you start using a directional antenna designed (and priced) for longer distances.

ddublu said:
I have been surprisingly high and about 1000M out with the 5 turn helical and Blue Beam Ultras.

I have been 1400 meters out with the same setup along with avl58 line of sight at an altitude of 50ft over water. Clear picture direct to my skyzone goggles.

mauiboy86 said:
ddublu said:
I have been surprisingly high and about 1000M out with the 5 turn helical and Blue Beam Ultras.

I have been 1400 meters out with the same setup along with avl58 line of sight at an altitude of 50ft over water. Clear picture direct to my skyzone goggles.

I did some flying at my golf course today and tried the Fatshark patch vs. the 5-turn helical. 5-turn won, hands down as far as I can tell.

mauiboy86 said:
Yo mauiboy86,
Check out this thread if you would please: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24743&p=228276#p228276
You are only the second person on here that I have found to admitting they own a pair of these (Skyzone FPV Goggles).

Thanks in advance :!:

2km on an open field, cloverleaf+helical on my receiver. In the suburbs I usually run into static after 500-600m. City center, 200-300m. In the last 2 locations I also have building impeding my lines of sight etc.

My setup is visible in my sig and heheh, Skyzone HD goggles. gotta head there as well :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj