Real Test of my P2 with Zenmuse

Reaction score
Have a P1. Got a P2 with Zenmuse yesterday and, even though it was windy, I decided to see how good it was. This video shows the stabilization with the Zenmuse. I thought it was freaky good. Check out the motors bobbing into the picture (once almost halfway down the screen). Also, unlike many videos - the wind noise drowns out the props.

I'm in ATTI mode - didn't realize it for a second - no GPS stabilization but I still managed to bring it back alive. To get up where I am, I have to thread a 30 foot circle through the tree limbs. The wind was blowing it quite a bit but the picture was fairly steady - almost insanely so when you view the engines that keep bobbing into the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgaUI_3 ... e=youtu.be

ladykate said:
Have a P1. Got a P2 with Zenmuse yesterday and, even though it was windy, I decided to see how good it was. This video shows the stabilization with the Zenmuse. I thought it was freaky good. Check out the motors bobbing into the picture (once almost halfway down the screen). Also, unlike many videos - the wind noise drowns out the props.

I'm in ATTI mode - didn't realize it for a second - no GPS stabilization but I still managed to bring it back alive. To get up where I am, I have to thread a 30 foot circle through the tree limbs. The wind was blowing it quite a bit but the picture was fairly steady - almost insanely so when you view the engines that keep bobbing into the picture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgaUI_3 ... e=youtu.be

Did you get the Visionor P2 with some random camera? What did you use?

Incredible how much the wind was blowing it around but yet the video was smooth like it's on a magic floating crane.

I"m lusting for a Vision and have been flirting with ordering it. However, this sample has made me seriously consider NOT getting it. I don't think the Vision would handle the task in the video at all. The two axis stabilization of the P2 was remarkable. Still... I'm a geek and when I get locked on to an idea, I have a hard time dropping it. I may get a Vision - I don't think the flying in the video is something I would normally do.

I was using a P2 with the Zenmuse and a GoPro 3 silver. The file was edited for length but nothing else... unfortunately the render had a little noise in it (the original did not) - have to hone my rendering fu.

For various reasons, I'm not terribly interested in an OSD or an FPV although I did buy a Tagg GPS (which I didn't have on the test flight in the video... if I had lost it I would have been seriously embarrassed).

Gotta love the Zenmuse, it made that vid look "less windy" than it actually was.

I think simulator practice (HELI-X) may have helped me with the flight. I was in ATTI mode (first time live) and when I was watching the aircraft, the same thoughts were going through my head as with the simulator. You can't see it well in the video but the aircraft drifted quite a bit and the close encounter with the tree limbs required some quick and delicate stick moves to keep it free. Learned that in ATTI mode on the simulator. I'm not an expert or even a good novice but I was fairly well oriented in the flight and I didn't panic. After all, it was only 1200 bucks worth of plastic that was trying to make a fool of me. ;-}

Well I have a vision and I would not make the jump from your gimbal. I reckon you would regret it. Yes with the vision you can frame the shot, but its bumpy even when you have no wind and you fly ATTI mode. Now if the new gimbals for the vision deliver then maybe its a different deal, however the camera quality on the vision is poor.

ladykate said:
I think simulator practice (HELI-X) may have helped me with the flight. I was in ATTI mode (first time live) and when I was watching the aircraft, the same thoughts were going through my head as with the simulator. You can't see it well in the video but the aircraft drifted quite a bit and the close encounter with the tree limbs required some quick and delicate stick moves to keep it free. Learned that in ATTI mode on the simulator. I'm not an expert or even a good novice but I was fairly well oriented in the flight and I didn't panic. After all, it was only 1200 bucks worth of plastic that was trying to make a fool of me. ;-}

That simulator time saved your investment big time. You got very close to the trees due to the drift caused by the wind but each time you cancelled it out, that was your flying skills that brought that back. A very challenging ride. Well done.

Nice flying in tricky conditions. You had a handy "windsock" with that flag, too! It's not just the strength of the wind you (and the aircraft and gimbal) have to deal with but also I suspect a lot of rotor (turbulence) caused by all those trees. You all did a great job! :)

I've definitely got gimbal envy. Unlike Shrimpfarmer I've got no problem with the quality of the Vision camera for my purposes, but like him I'm definitely starting to see myself in the market for a gimbal - I enjoy making and watching my videos but oh, I do covet that smoothness...! I think it will also benefit the stills I take - I'll be able to use GPS hold and the gimbal will cancel out any tilt the Vision needs to put in to hold station. I am keenly following Rotorpixel's progress...

Thanks to those who felt I did a good job of keeping the thing out of the trees (and in my neighborhood). Once it rose above those tree tops, the challenge began. I sorta expected it since we live up on the side of a hill and the wind is always tougher once you jump up into the clear. I am happy that I had enough experience to keep it going ($1200 happy) but that wasn't the remarkable thing about the flight. That darn gimbal worked well - much better than I thought it would. I am a happy camper with that purchase.

I've definitely got gimbal envy.

Pull_up, as you know, I was obsessing about the osd/FPV thing and I still am. I'm still trying to justify a need for the osd/FPV. We need to meet halfway and fly each others airplanes. Goose Bay or maybe Gander is half way.... ;-}

...or we could both go the long way round and meet up somewhere more exotic (sorry Gander)!

I know what you mean, though - I'm not in to FPV flying for its own sake. I think if anyone is then you probably get more of a "real" flight experience using a fixed wing model. The FPV for filming, framing, etc is another story and makes the whole "flying camera" thing work well. That allied with the full function camera remote and battery and GPS telemetry makes the app & up/downlink combo a great filming and flying tool.

However, what we all probably want is the Vision camera's fully remote control abilitybut with the GoPro's video quality, a brushless gimbal, the P2's tx control range, the P2V telemetry and FPV smartphone function (but over a range long enough to match the P2 control range) and ground station autonomous flying support!! All wrapped up with 25 minute flight times and ready to go out of the box!

Sounds like a spec for a P3...

Pull_Up said:
However, what we all probably want is the Vision camera's fully remote control ability but with the GoPro's video quality, a brushless gimbal, the P2's tx control range, the P2V telemetry and FPV smartphone function (but over a range long enough to match the P2 control range) and ground station autonomous flying support!! All wrapped up with 25 minute flight times and ready to go out of the box!

Hmmm. I think you've got something there. Seriously, that is probably the next logical reveal (or something close to it). I know the way to speed it up - have me buy a P2V. They will release the new version within three months. To that end, if everyone would send me $50 or Euros, I will buy a P2V and thus ensure a new release that I could still afford to buy.

P2V lust... it is a horrible thing...

Pull_Up said:
However, what we all probably want is the Vision camera's fully remote control abilitybut with the GoPro's video quality, a brushless gimbal, the P2's tx control range, the P2V telemetry and FPV smartphone function (but over a range long enough to match the P2 control range) and ground station autonomous flying support!! All wrapped up with 25 minute flight times and ready to go out of the box!

By that time, DJI would probably figure out a way to charge $300 for a single battery!

I've started emailing different sellers to see what a package (OSD, FPV) would cost with the ugly stuff done (cables).

If the price comes in too high, I'm probably just getting a Vision and then selling it when a good solution pops up.

Curious about your settings on the GoPro. The video is only 480.

I did return a Vision for the reason of the camera's quality. I will say for entertainment value is fine (if you don't mind a sort of single axis, not a true gimbal) but for anything remotely coming close to pro use...it's a no go! Not that the GoPro is the meca of cameras but at least is better (maybe).

Nice flying job. Me...I would have probably had a much less successful outcome!

CaptainChet said:

I did return a Vision for the reason of the camera's quality. I will say for entertainment value is fine (if you don't mind a sort of single axis, not a true gimbal) but for anything remotely coming close to pro use...it's a no go! Not that the GoPro is the meca of cameras but at least is better (maybe).

Nice flying job. Me...I would have probably had a much less successful outcome!

Its a shame you cannot lay your hands on a Vision for a couple of days. I think you will change your mind pretty quickly. I used to think that FPV was not for me. I even got the chance to try some Fatshark goggles the other day when I bumped into another flyer. I didn't like them one bit mainly because I like to see who is around me (I was a cop for 30 yrs ..... trust me you get jumpy when you have done that for so long ;) ) Anyway there is an easy answer, just go for an FPV monitor and bingo its just like the Vision but only bigger. Add in a miniIOSD and you have your telemetry also, and significantly enhanced into the bargain.

I paid for someone to build as like you I don't like to attempt that stuff.

CaptainChet said:

It was in a much higher setting but by the time it got to YouTube it was 480. ;-} The point was the stabilization - the subject matter (a gray, wind blown winter day with leafless trees hiding any color or interest ) was downright boring.

I've jacked up the wind in the simulator and each time I fly it I wonder how the heck I got the real one down in one piece. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing. Luck is even better.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj