Read RAW Pics with Adobe Lightroom 5

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using Adobe Lightroom 5.2 with the actual released Lense Profile for the Phantom Vision FC200 Camera (http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/).

The lense correction works fine with the JPG Pics. But as DJI is using a hi-compressed JPG format there is to much information lost in the pics - in my opinion.
So, I tried to import a Pic shoot in RAW Format into Adobe Lightroom, BUT the DJI RAW Format is not supported by adobe, yet.
I received the following information from DJI Support regarding the RAW Format of the FC200:
RAW configuation in Photoshop:
Width: 4384;
Height: 2464;
Depth: 16 bit;
Bit sequence: IBM PC;

...unfortunatley I can not find any dialog in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom to define this RAW format for a correct pic import.

does have anybody an idea how to use this information to get a correct Import of RAW Pics in to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.x?

thanks & cheers
markus

Unfortunately the raw converter will not be available for a while longer yet so you have no hope in opening the vision raw files - possibly mid December but I have heard other sources quoting 2 months.
Jpegs or nothing I'm afraid. But if it's important shoot in Raw as you will get a JPEG as well and then convert when it is released.

Not sure why the original jpegs would be so compressed, but they are. Average quality images from a 14mp camera should easily be creating 6mb jpegs uncompressed. All of mine thus far are averaging 3mbs. Obviously they are being compressed which is sucking the life out of the images. NONE of my image are worth a **** zoomed in >50%.

No way anyone can assess how good or bad the sensor and processor are until the camera raw release.

myquietwaters said:
DJI informed me yesterday that adobe's camera raw release was expected in a couple weeks.

Excellent, been wondering about that!

DJI's answer to my query regarding the quality of the resulting still images ie. not sharp on the left hand side of the frame and the very compressed nature of the files is
' This is a hobbyist camera'

As though that excuses them then!

eJet said:
Hi,

I am using Adobe Lightroom 5.2 with the actual released Lense Profile for the Phantom Vision FC200 Camera (http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/).

The lense correction works fine with the JPG Pics. But as DJI is using a hi-compressed JPG format there is to much information lost in the pics - in my opinion.
So, I tried to import a Pic shoot in RAW Format into Adobe Lightroom, BUT the DJI RAW Format is not supported by adobe, yet.
I received the following information from DJI Support regarding the RAW Format of the FC200:

...unfortunatley I can not find any dialog in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom to define this RAW format for a correct pic import.

does have anybody an idea how to use this information to get a correct Import of RAW Pics in to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.x?

thanks & cheers
markus

When I open a RAW image directly into Photoshop 5.5 I get the dialog which allows me to input all of your info above; however, when Photoshop opens the image it is Grayscale only.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Chuggie said:
eJet said:
Hi,

thanks & cheers
markus

When I open a RAW image directly into Photoshop 5.5 I get the dialog which allows me to input all of your info above; however, when Photoshop opens the image it is Grayscale only.

Thanks,
Chuggie

Same issue here with Photoshop CC :cry:

Until a raw converter is released by Adobe that supports the dji native file you will not be able to open and work upon the raw files generated by the phantom Vision.

Mactab said:
Until a raw converter is released by Adobe that supports the dji native file you will not be able to open and work upon the raw files generated by the phantom Vision.
Or until DJI releases their promised "Phantom RAW to Adobe DNG" converter. This is my understanding of how this will be supported - not native support from Adobe - unless plans have changed.

I am also anxiously awaiting the RAW photoshop plugin for the PV......the images are pretty poor.

Sledge said:
I am also anxiously awaiting the RAW photoshop plugin for the PV......the images are pretty poor.

Have to say I'm also disappointed with the image quality of the PV2 camera and will now be waiting for the RAW plugin so that I can hopefully get more out of the image. If not, then it'll be a GoPro and gimbal.

wippers said:
Sledge said:

Have to say I'm also disappointed with the image quality of the PV2 camera and will now be waiting for the RAW plugin so that I can hopefully get more out of the image. If not, then it'll be a GoPro and gimbal.

Most posts indicate that the picture quality (versus video) of the P2V Camera is superior to the GoPro. You don't agree?

mem_ny said:
wippers said:
Sledge said:

Most posts indicate that the picture quality (versus video) of the P2V Camera is superior to the GoPro. You don't agree?

I have been very happy with the photo quality. I am waiting for RAW so I can do better white balancing in post.

Video wise, I haven't been too impressed so far with the P2V. It's dull, not very sharp and a bit noisy. Yes, shooting on very sunny days. Trying to do color correction in post and having lukewarm results.

It's in beta test. Hopefully will be released soon. See this FB post:

https://www.facebook.com/russell.brown. ... 2363915833

Also, I don't think it's a "converter". Sounds like it will be a camera firmware update, which will make Adobe DNG RAW the camera's native format, rather than the current DJI-proprietary RAW format that no apps can read. No converter needed.

It's not clear what will happen to any existing DJI-proprietary RAW photos we have already taken.

Hmm I can't comment on that photo on Facebook?
That photo is crap, it is unsharp and all the same artifacts that we got in our Jpegs. I could easy make a similar looking photo out of one of my Jpgs taken with the Phantom.
Just to clarify, it's a great photo, my comment are only made as a comment on the better quality we all are waiting for, and if this is what we can expect, then it is quite disappointing.

Bad News In Facebook Adobe DNG no soon.......
"Aerial Photography Flight Club
5 de enero
The DJI Phantom Vision camera is scheduled to get upgraded to shoot in RAW/DNG file format within the next four months.

Raw file formats are extremely popular in digital photography workflows because they offer creative professionals ....

https://www.facebook.com/aerialphotographyflightclub

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj