RE700 ANTENNA MOD QUESTION

last question should I be buying a 2.4ghz or 5.8 ghz antenna seems like everything I have seen was 5.8ghz sorry for all the questions also since I am going to do mod could I use two antennas 1 being the cloverleaf and the other a tlink rubber duck has to be better then 1 antenna would it work or should I just leave one connected to the re700 antenna and the other with the cloverleaf

Last edited:
Hi Mark,

The RE700 is 2.4GHz
The TX is 5.8GHz

Soooo if it's just the RE700 you're doing, the above will help;)
Have you done a search on this forum or YouTube for more answers, setups/how too etc.. You can learn so much that way, well I did & that's saying something:D

so there are 2 different transmission systems involved. a 5.8 for craft control, and a 2.4 for video link.

the repeater does the video link. the antenna out of the top of the controller does the craft control.

you need 2.4 ghz antennas for the video link. you need 5.8 for the craft control.

the radio is in the craft - the repeater is just repeating.

the upgrades are basically done as 'pilot' side and 'bird' side.

as a first mod, I would only do the pilot side.

im making an LHCP 3-turn helical, and for the other feed - i still have no idea. i may make a crosshair if the helical works out OK.

if i have to go store bought, ill put an LHCP patch and a 7-9dbi omni probably. or both LHCP. not 100% sure yet.

none of my soldering irons will get hot enough to solder the solid copper wire I have used, so instead of investing in that, im setting that project aside for now, and just bought some antennas so I could go fly.
a hawking and a tp-link. just to get me back in the air until I finish the homemade job. I know im losing ~3 db in the polarity mismatch, but I should be able to get in the air at least.

initial tests with the RC sitting inside on a desk and me walking around outside down the street is that im blowing out the whole neighborhood with my wifi signal :)

after looking at this setup, im now worried about the 5.8 antenna getting blocked.. so will likely move that antenna next.

**** how the F do you add a file to this forum?
I had to go post my pic up at my own host...

20150627_205736[1].jpg

in this pic we have a stock remote, usb battery pack below the rig, tplink 8dbi Omni, and 15db hawking connected to the re500.

I do not like the clearance/blockage of the 5.8 antenna directly behind the reflector of the hawking. one of the antennas will be moved.

I did the repeater mod came out great I used a skew planar 2.4 ghz I also did my controller not sure what antenna to use not a issue I have a t link 6db has to be better then stock for now what anttenas are you guys using

Hi Mark,

The RE700 is 2.4GHz
The TX is 5.8GHz

Soooo if it's just the RE700 you're doing, the above will help;)
Have you done a search on this forum or YouTube for more answers, setups/how too etc.. You can learn so much that way, well I did & that's saying something:D
all is good I know re700 is 2.4 ghz/have skew planar on it radio is modded also just need /asking on a desent antenna for 5.8 ghz using t link 5 dbi looking at 14 dbi panel not sure if that is ok ,, also been searching thanks

Hi Mark,

Had a little look around for ya & found this;) may be of some use;)

I know some people have done this mod but may be worth looking in the vision + section for more info;)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers