RE500 Antenna Connections

Reaction score
Based on the attached picture of my unmodified RE500 is there a preference for which antenna connection goes to the external antenna? I thought there was not, but if somebody knows different I would appreciate hearing about it. I have the TP2409a and a tp-link 8dB omni antennas attached now. Is either one used for the sole purpose of connecting to the phone? Thanks Geoff.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421085750.923741.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421085750.923741.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 552
It picks and chooses, strongest signal, so it may use 1 or the other, not both together,
Is what I was told, so does not matter which you use for external antenna! Good luck!

Take care, fly safe!

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
I thought it didnt matter which one you plugged in to either. based on some people guessing or repeating what others said about not thinking it made a difference. BUT I found out that it does make a difference You are only going to hook up one antenna.
Cause when I hooked to one of them and didnt see much of a difference in range I switched to the other connection and BAM my range went from about 1600-1800 feet. to around 3400 Tho this was on an RE700 But the insides of the Re700 are virtually the same in all the details other then the 700 havering more output power and some shielding added to cut down on interference and noise from the internal power supply. But they are basically just a small compact wifi repeater with the firm ware changed to hide the cameras network SSID and ip address.

One antenna sends and receives data to the phantoms camera and the other antenna sends and received data to the phone or tablet. Just like how most 2 antenna wifi repeaters work. and also it would not be able to switch back and forth on what ever antenna is getting the best signal with out haveing whats called a diversity antenna circuit in it. Which there dont seem to be in there. or a diversity chip in the dij range extenders. and if they did it would work better for them to have 2 different antennas that were orientated differently from each other. Then if one dropped signal but the other one was able to still get it the other one had a better signal still then switched over by the diversity chip then have a 3rd antenna to send send and receive to the phone. Cause its still better to use a separate antenna for both data streams So that one antenna is not trying to send and receive date to and from two sources at the same time. Cause thats why even single antenna wifi repeaters dont work as well as a double when its trying to send 2 separate steams out and while also trying to get 2 more streams in.

What are people's RELIABLE ranges with a re500 using a 5dbi gain antenna?

My range cut out at a very short distance yesterday.

I am going to test the range again today while actually watching the distance.

I had full signal on my phone but lost the video feed.
I have the antenna linked with the left of the Dji logo on circuit board.

I ran my tests today and am not seeing much of a gain. The re500 cuts out at 1000' and connection continuity breaks.

The re700 I have gets out over 2500' still within line of sight for me.(I would like to keep that unmodified.) the controler hasn't lost connection.

So using the 500 not 700 to increase reliable video feed range what more could I do to improve the feed.( links if you have them would help)

I only have one 5 dbi antenna connected. I read in threads that you only need one and others that 2 is best.

Last edited:
I'm not saying I'm anything close to an expert on this stuff, but I am interested in it and have studied it through posts on this site, so I'm going to spill my guts here and hope somebody has more or better info.

From what I've read over the past seven months, I don't think anybody outside of DJI knows for absolutely sure how exactly the FPV thing works. There is no documentation from DJI on this that I've ever seen or heard of. My weak understanding is that it is extremely complicated, much more so then one might think. Not only do you have two antennas and two FPV transmitters in the RE, but you also have two antennas and two FPV transmitters in the Phantom (camera). And it seems there is an auto-switching going on constantly, as the logic board is constantly looking for the best signal on both the bird and the RE. This switching makes perfect sense for the Phantom, but it doesn't make much sense for the RE since both antennas are exactly the same, they are right next to each other and pointing in exactly the same direction. Nonetheless, the consensus is the switching does seem to take place in the RE. At least that is what we think. So if we assume that is true, it wouldn't matter what transmitter you want to mod in the RE. The RE will find your best signal (best antenna) and use it.

But the problem is the switching. Once it has that good antenna, and is using it, it will switch to the weak antenna for no reason other than to check and see if it's better. And it may hang onto that weak antenna for up to two seconds. If it's weaker than the first antenna, it switches back. So if you have a strong antenna, you're still hampered with a weak antenna and intermittent weakness because of the switching. Hence, it's probably best to mod both transmitters.

If that's not complicated enough, it gets much worse.

My understanding is, the video signal leaves the Phantom (camera) and is received by the RE. But before it's sent to the phone/tablet, the signal is checked for corruption. Details of the received signal are sent BACK to the Phantom/camera. If the details of the initial signal data are correct, then the Phantom/camera sends an "ok" back to the RE. Once the RE receives this "ok", it proceeds to send the data (video/telemetery) to the phone/tablet on a different frequency. You then get to see a picture, and you'll ideally see this picture 15 or 30 times per second if everything is working perfectly.

So, in summary, at least some data from the initial signal must move forth, then back, then forth again before you get to see anything. That is why the range is so limited.

So assuming all this is true, you have to think in terms of sending AND receiving for your RE. So you want to pick the best antenna to maximize signal strength in transmission, as well as its ability to receive. And this is why DJI chose patch antennas in their RE. Patch antennas send a transmission out in one direction, and also are good at receiving. It makes perfect sense.

And so, if you're going to replace your DJI patch antenna, you might be wise to replace it with another patch/panel antenna or a windsurfer. The point is, you want it to be directional and it's best if it's linear polarity to match the linear polarity of the patch antennas in the Phantom/camera.

There are other options if you're willing to mod the bird such as the FPVLR mods.

So this is how I understand it, and if somebody has more or better info, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for your knowledge.

I have read alot of threads and downloaded and watched on bunch on different mods. I am not going for the world record.

The re700 I have has gotten me out to 3800 feet. .
The 500 only got me a few hundred 3-400 feet.

Those results were with no modifications.

The re500 modified with a 5 dbi antenna and can get out to 1000'.

So should I try another antenna or a a patch antenna?

I forgot to add I only had 1 external antenna on the re500.

I tried to go further by turning sideways and only got that 1000' by doing so. Otherwise it might have been 950'

I had my ufl hooked on the left side of the dji logo. I heard that side makes the better connection to "the bird", and that the other ufl makes the the connection to the phone.

I didnt think there was a differance between the Vison and Vision Plus extenders. Guess I need to get a R700 model.
You will notice a significant improvement in video quality. As well as distance from the re-500.

Follow the same binding procedure and your good to go.

You can also keep the 500 bound at the same time. I currently have both bound with the vision and I often switch to the 500 to download video / pics between flights.

I often switch to the 500 to download video / pics between flights.

Why would you do that, surely it makes no difference which your connected to, unless its to save battery power on the 700

That's the point, save power when possible, and maximize the time I can use it.The 700 gets better range so i use it more for distant flights and a reliabile connection at a longer distance.

When i am flying closer the 500 does fine because i can see what's going on at all times via the LED light patterns. But when i go out a little ways alot of the time still within in the line of sight the 500 connection will break and create choppy/broken and unreliaible video feeds.

The 700 gets to around 2000'-2200' for me with full quality video and pictures.

Those are the best results I have gotten for my RE's

I forgot to add I only had 1 external antenna on the re500.

I tried to go further by turning sideways and only got that 1000' by doing so. Otherwise it might have been 950'

I had my ufl hooked on the left side of the dji logo. I heard that side makes the better connection to "the bird", and that the other ufl makes the the connection to the phone.
Both UFL's I making the connection to the bird via a diversity system switching back-and-forth depending on which one is picking up a stronger signal, that's why when you mod them you don't have one antenna facing your phone they are both focusing on the bird[emoji41]
And since the 700 came out there's literally no reason to still own the 500 other than maybe in your drawer for a back up if your 700 burns up and you're waiting for another one on eBay.

Unless I'm completely wrong, which does happen, in which case carry on with your conversation I'll be over here

Reactions: Mark The Droner
My 500 has been in its box since I changed to the 700 12 months ago. All I've used it for us to practice how to drill the holes for my Itelite panel

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj