Re-use of FC40 parts after a bad crash

Reaction score
Greetings!
This morning I had a fatal crash of my FC40. Most likely I screwed up the compass calibration, and when it tried to flyaway I overcorrected it into the side of my house at full speed.
I have been flying this FC40 for 6 months, it was too young to die......

So, I plan to re-use the motors and speed controls in my new build. Can they swing 10" or 12" props?
Is there a cheaper place to get the DJI Naza GPS pod and PMU? Looking at the listed prices, it seems my most cost effective choice is to get a whole different Flight Controller like an Eagletree Vector.

My frame choices are pretty wide open, but depend on what blade size those motors can safely handle.

Input?

Reactions: dirkclod
What are you trying to accomplish? I've never heard of these motors driving 10 or 12 inch props.

I want to take as many parts as I can, and move to a larger frame when i rebuild.
I know i can re-use the camera+mount, my collection of batteries, and the charger.
If I could use the motors, i would likely go quad. If not, well i have seen e300 packages on ebay for decent prices. That would drive a hex nicely

Its too bad that the dji controller is locked to that board. I like the controller and would like to take it to the rebuild as well.

Its too bad that the dji controller is locked to that board. I like the controller and would like to take it to the rebuild as well.
What do you mean "locked"? It's just sticky tape, which can be pried off cleanly with patience.

I want to take as many parts as I can, and move to a larger frame when i rebuild.
I know i can re-use the camera+mount, my collection of batteries, and the charger.
If I could use the motors, i would likely go quad. If not, well i have seen e300 packages on ebay for decent prices. That would drive a hex nicely

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-NAZA-BE...18?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item417f9d965e

Use this item, and you do not need the power distribution board from the FC40.

Its also possible to rebuild using the original motors and escs (as long as they are not damaged). I used them in my rebuild, works just fine.

What do you mean "locked"? It's just sticky tape, which can be pried off cleanly with patience.

Sorry, terminology screwup. I mean the transmitter from the FC40. I would like to take it with me into the rebuild. But the reciever for it is part of the mainboard. Can it be bound to a different reciever?

The receiver is not part of the main board. It is under the main board.

But note that the FC40 uses a 5.8Ghz tx/rx. For various reasons, you may wish to switch to a 2.4Ghz setup.

Use this item, and you do not need the power distribution board from the FC40.
But the power distribution board is quite useful. :)
However, if you don't want it, it's still possible to cut most of it off, leaving just the power regulator, which is quite small.

The receiver is separate from the main board It just sits under it and connects by two 3 pin wires in to the naza.

The receiver is separate from the main board It just sits under it and connects by two 3 pin wires in to the naza.

So, to bring this back up again,, upon dissassembly of my FC40, I found that the antenna wires have been broken off the reciever board.
I dont see any way to put them back, so this confirms that I will be swapping in a 2.4ghz radio setup in addition......

With two of the FC40 esc's showing cracks in the PCB, it looks like I will be taking just the motors, batteries, charger, and the camera with its brackets to the next build.
Bummer......

Are u sure the mini ufl connector didn't just come unplugged? If that is still connected and the wire pulled out of the connector, u could just get a ufl to rpsma adapter cable and use any antenna

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

The ufl plug can also be resoldered onto the board, it's very tiny tho and not easy if ur not experienced with soldering pcb's

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic