Re-seating the Gimbal- SOLVED

Reaction score
I felt it necessary to make a fresh post on this topic. My Gimbal is out of alignment and now the horizon in my footage is way out. My DJI which I only revived less than a week ago is now useless. How it cam out of alignment I am unsure as I have had no crashes.

The following is what I have attempted:

Remove PCB on back of gimbal-

I found this way better to work

This is in the powered on position - when the motor aligns before relaxing again (generally where it's suppose to sit when in flight - I don't believe I have to have the side ribbon attached to test this?) - I just can't get it right. I need to get it to sit dead horizontal when in that position with the power on test - not worth checking every time with RC and phone connected until I get this part right. :(

Here is a video to show how I am trying to align the gimble - I hold the pliers and use the gimbal arm to turn the camera. Be careful not to touch the ribbon under gimbal arm. My alignment looks ok with the shaft - which makes me wonder about it being a balance issue with the weight?????

Perhaps having thrown all these pics and the video together - those of you who have had success realigning your gimbal this way - may now be able to tell me if I am doing something wrong??? I really am getting desperate now as I hate to think if have just waste $$$$$$$$$$ that I don't really have.

VIDEO of my technique - perhaps I am going the wrong way about all this???
http://youtu.be/wUXZsR8dsJk

TIA

Re: Re-seating the Gimbal

this happened to me as well after a few weeks of flying and no crashes. I sent it in...it took 6 weeks but i got it back fixed for free

Perhaps I should do the same thing - however they will now be charing me because I attempted to fix it myself. I spent a fortune and am more than upset now. Alas, I need to reign my frustration in and learn how to correct this myself as now I can't afford the charges for having had a go myself - this should never of happened and there should be a way to correct this - given its happened to quite a few people.

I just hope for the best that someone can advise me that I should perhaps turn in the other way, hold onto something else and or use some other method or where I am going wrong. I have heard nothing but bad feedback relating to the support which is what really put me off and led me to having a go myself.

The ribbon cable has to be connected other wise the gimbal doesn't know the position of the gimbal motor

Very nice clear video and pics.

I never disconnected my cables. Much harder to get in there, but I just didn't want to mess with them. I would imagine that they should be connected each time you check for horizontal... Also, it appears to me that you may have been turning the shaft in the wrong direction. The way it's tilted, I believe you need to turn it counter-clockwise. And I suggest gripping the shaft with the flat slotted side on the flat surface of the pliers. Looks like you may be scuffing up the shaft - I don't think it really matters though,.. I think locking needle nose pliers (vise grips) is a very good tool to use. I turned everything on each time I checked it. Was a pain, but I think the only way to really check it is if you have it connected and adjust to fully horizontal with the DJI app. I had to do it about 8 times 'till I got it right. Just turn in smaller increments so you don't "overshoot".

No need to ship the unit back. It is totally fix-able at home... Patience....

I will attempt to document with attaching the ribbon, powering up my RC and connection to phantom with the phone. From memory, I found that the potion that the gimbal sits in when powering on before it releases it after being switched on for so many seconds is the position it will be in when you alter the vertical pitch via that phone app.

I'll try twisting the camera in the other direction as well. Thanks again.

Edit - I think I might have just got it. touch wood!!! - Takes a lot of elbow grease to make it move and then feeling it move is not so easy. Hope it stay put once I screw if all back in. :)

If you have no crashes, that symptom can be caused by a bad IMU calibration.
The Advanced IMU calibration re-defines what is level, so if you do a calibration when the Phantom isn't perfectly level, you can throw off the camera level.
You'll also throw off the Phantom level flight which you probably won't notice unless you're flying in Atti mode.

Much appreciated cahutch ... Very interesting as the IMU Advance test was something recent and now that I think about it, matches up well with how recent I have been having issues. I'm kind of glad I did not just whack it in a box and send it off as I have learned quite a lot in my attempts to sort these bumps out. I just sent it up in the wind out back for a test shot. I'm also getting a feel for flying this thing in the wind, which kind of makes me want to try the alti mode - but not quite there yet.

I'm thinking I will do the IMU test on the dead lelve surface (will measure with my woodworking level) I'd prefer to get it right after the IMU calibration as I am sure the tools I have used to tweak the shaft has put out the compass somewhat and not something I would want to mess with after an advance calibration. I'm starting to get a feel for the flying - that's a good thing. Eventually I just want to pop it into potion and concentrate on making good compositions.

This next photo is just a test shot - I believe I have a little more adjusting to do - but now that you mention it, I will do the IMU test and then go test again. will wait till later this evening when the wind dies down some. A friend of mine suggest early morning and evening flights seems to be more still ... not to mention in the Golden Hours.

TEST SHOT ONLY ->Taken in High winds - took on RAW setting - while the screen was blacked out for what seemed several seconds, the phantom moved quite a bit. Starting to shoot raw now, like I always do with my DSLR.

I bought my P2VP on 16Jun and it was off for repair on 19jun because of a gimbal fault, I have no sympathy for anyone who tries to fix anything whilst it is under warranty and then complains that they have to pay for it to be repaired. That is what the manufacturers warranty is for.....

Yes I was really annoyed but I would prefer to have them repair and pay for everything than for me to spend time trying to fix something, and I emphasise TRY and then find out it is no longer under warranty and I have to pay for the repair... Currently my bird is back for repair for other reasons, under warranty, and I have told them I do not want it back, I want a replacement or refund....

The exception to the above is when you live in a place or country where sending things for repair is problematic.

Righto Bud - as you wish ... moving on.

sorry to ask what may seem obvious. When doing the IMU advance calibration - is it OK to have the RC turned off?

Just checking - there seems to be a lot of sequencing with the order in which things are done. I'm happy to say I just had my first trouble free IMU calibration and I did not have the RC on. (laptop on a clean 100% flat table with no tools or other electronics) I pretty much just turned off the RC after calibrating it to the phantom - closed the software assist and then reopened - plugged in the usb cable into the phantom with it being off - then powered up phantom to which the softer assist then picked up.

Did another flight to which it appeared more stable although still high winds - I think I just need one last adjust as still getting on off axis horizon - although only slight. (it has improved!!!)

I remember once when I vowed never to take my lens's off out doors when I bought my new flashy DSLR - I also swore I would never put my telescope in the boot. It was not until I started swapping len's on the go and learning to calibrate my telescope that such hobbies really opened up for me. I regret having sold my 3D printer when I did. I got really frustrated with after having successfully done the build but failed terribly on the calibrations. I'll try not to give up this time round.

Hopefully I can continue to sort out these bumps as they happen and become a better operator for my troubles.

LOL - rips his hair out! - Don't suppose I could press you for a page number at all? ...

Let me run this past you Cahutch -

Is this ok?

Correct calibration procedure:

1 start RC software -
2 - plug in usb cable to RC with RC powered OFF
3 - turn on RC
4 Calibrate
5 close RC software

6 Leave RC on
7 luanch Software Assist
8 pull out cable from RC which is still ON
9 plug into Phantom
10 power up phantom
11 calibrate RC to phantom in software Assist
12 check IMU and calibrate if required leaving RC on
13 when finished close software first before powering down both phantom and RC
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Is that right? I assume you don't need to switch the wi/fi on the RC through any of this?

Corrections:

1 - plug in usb cable to RC with RC powered OFF & computer ON
2 - turn on RC (with good batteries)
3 - start RC software
4 - Calibrate if necessary (usually isn't needed)
5 - close RC software (RC remains ON)
6 - Make sure your Phantom is on a level solid surface and far away from metallic / magnetic objects (that includes the surface it's on)
7 - Remove Props ( recommended )
8 - Disconnect USB from RC and connect it to the Phantom (RC remains ON)
9 - Power the Phantom with a fully charged battery
10 - Launch Assist software
11 - Do stick calibration if necessary
12 - Do IMU calibration, make sure not to touch/move the Phantom during the calibration procedure including any vibrations (e.g. loud music, dancing, walking, air hammer, trains passing,.... )
13 - Once done close SW, power down Phantom, disconnect USB
14 - Redo the compass calibration before take off
15 - Check that everything is working good not too far of the ground ;)

Wifi/App not needed during this procedure

TY Panamon Creel -

It would be nice if we did not have to chew up battery power when attached to a PC. I guess a powered DC connection interferes or something. Thanks for the break down there. Much appreciated.

Thanks guys - It may not be perfect, but now I can do repairs MYSELF! Thanks again for your help.

My camera drifted off its center point as well yesterday and did the fix as described in the videos. Works like a charm! I also checked the position of the camera with a picture hanging level. That little level is priceless!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    721.7 KB · Views: 436
Well done on your fix.

I'd like to state that whenever I powered the unit to test horizontal position, that whilst it is claimed that you need to pair hand controller to the RC and check via the DJI app on ones mobile device - that in every test ... the resultant position on the DJI app and the displayed image through the lens had the gimbal in the same position when Phantom was powered up with no pairing.

Example - when you power up the phantom. it seems to position the Gimbal for a brief period as would be position in flight. It only sits in that position 3 to 5 seconds after power up and only stays in position for as many seconds before releasing that position.

Hooking everything up for every slight movement I believe unnecessary until the that "brief position" in power up mode is close to horizontal -

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4