RC won't update firmware

Reaction score
Hey, all. I've been away from my P3A for a while, but was getting it "tuned up" to use this weekend. My last aircraft firmware update was 1.2.7, so I went to the DJI site, pulled down 1.3.2 and 1.4.0, and updated the aircraft to 1.3.2. After that was done, I moved on to updating my RC to 1.3.2......NO GO! I have done the following:
- Used freshly formatted micro SD card in USB reader with .bin as only file
- Used freshly formatted micro SD card in adapter in USB reader with .bin as only file
- Used freshly formatted SD card in USB reader with .bin as only file
- Connected RC to powered on aircraft using micro/USB cable to gimbal with .bin as only file

All of these attempts (multiples for each) have resulted in the same behavior with the RC. That is, none. It powers on, LED is red (when using USB methods.....as aircraft isn't on) and stays that way until I tire of waiting for something to happen and it powers off.

NOTE: My remote is a model 300A, which, as far as I can tell from reading, does need the 1.3.2 update.

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm stumped. Is it possible that I needed to update the RC to 1.2.8 first? If so, does anyone know where I can get it as 1.3.2 is the oldest that is on the DJI firmware download site.

Oh, as another side note, I have updated my old DJI Pilot app to the current version of DJI GO (downloaded directly to my Android and installed), and I cannot get the app to recognize my P3A. I'm assuming that this is due to to firmware mismatch on the RC and aircraft, but that's just a guess from reading a bunch of posts.

Really hoping y'all can help!!! Would hate to miss out on my opportunity to fly this weekend!

Rich

Last edited:
Just for fun, I reloaded DJI Pilot 1.1 on my Android tablet (last working version), and the Aircraft Status remains "Disconnected". At this point, I am not even sure that the app is connecting with the RC, which bums me out as that could indicate that perhaps the USB port is not functioning (which, of course, means......repair!) :(

Hoping someone here has an idea of something I haven't tried that will work.

Thanks.

Rich

....Ok, something different this time. Powered on aircraft with 1.3.2 on SD card. After about 20 seconds, I connected RC with USB cable to mini-USB on gimbal and powered it on. The aircraft then started sounding a single beep every 2-3 seconds. The status LED on the RC has remained green.

Is it possible that I needed to update the RC to 1.2.8 first? If so, does anyone know where I can get it as 1.3.2 is the oldest that is on the DJI firmware download site.
You can download 1.2.8 here, but you should just be able to install 1.3.2 on your remote controller.

Thanks, msinger. I've followed all the directions to a "tee", with no luck.....

- Updating via reader in RC USB port, results in red LED status light (assuming aircraft is powered off)
- Can't update from DJI GO, as I can't get past the "Connect your DJI Device" screen
- Updating by connecting RC to aircraft results in RC LED status light staying green, and aircraft beeping every couple of seconds in perpetuity

Ugh.....should have followed the first rule of P3's, don't upgrade unless you really need to! :(

R

Did you check out the TXT file on your memory card?

Yep. After the first upgrade attempt on the aircraft (no RC powered), it went through all the beeps and gimbal gymnastics, and gave me the expected beeping that it was done. Checked the .txt file on the SD card, which indicated success. I then deleted the .txt file and started on the attempts to upgrade the RC. There is no activity at all when I try to update with a USB drive in the RC USB port, so no .txt file is written.

When I try to upgrade the RC via connection to the gimbal, I power on the aircraft first (with SD that has only firmware on it, nothing else), then the RC. At that point, the aircraft starts beeping every 2 seconds (which indicates it is done updating....which makes sense as it's already updated), then the RC sits there stupidly with its green LED status light. When I tire of waiting for something to happen (30 minutes is my max thus far), I unplug the RC from the gimbal, the aircraft immediately stops beeping, and if I check, I'll have a .txt file that says upgrade aborted as the firmware version is the same or older than what's on the aircraft. There is never any indication at all that the RC has attempted to upgrade.

Also, I think that I can confirm that my RC USB port is working, as when I plug in my Android tablet, the battery indicator changes to show the "lightning bolt" symbol because the Android thinks it's charging.....

I talked to DJI support in LA a little bit ago, and they did not have any other ideas other than upgrade the aircraft to 1.4, do a fresh install of DJI GO, then try updating the RC again...... I'm in the middle of the 1.4 upgrade on the aircraft now, which seems to be proceeding just fine.

R

they did not have any other ideas other than upgrade the aircraft to 1.4
Odd suggestion.

Since you indicated that you're running an old version of DJI GO, I would suggest you install the latest version and then try upgrading your remote controller from the DJI GO app.

Aircraft update to 1.4 is successful

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.​

Re-installed DJI GO onto Android tablet. Connected tablet to RC (powered on), launched DJI GO app, and cannot get by the "Connect your DJI Device" screen.

Once again attempted to update RC with 1.3.2 firmware using a USB card reader and the port on the RC. No change in behavior (namely, no activity at all.)

Once again, attempted to update RC to 1.3.2 firmware using micro SD in aircraft, RC connected to aircraft. No change in behavior (aircraft beeps once every two seconds, LED status light on RC stays green, no .txt file created.)

Frustrated.....

R

Odd suggestion.

Since you indicated that you're running an old version of DJI GO, I would suggest you install the latest version and then try upgrading your remote controller from the DJI GO app.

I've tried that, but the DJI GO app (new or old) will not recognize that it is connected to the RC or aircraft. :(

R

Connected tablet to RC (powered on), launched DJI GO app, and cannot get by the "Connect your DJI Device" screen.
Try a different micro USB cable.

Reboot your device. If that doesn't make a difference, then try installing 1.2.8 on your remote controller.

Aircraft update to 1.4 is successful

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3S_FW_V01.04.0010.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.​

Re-installed DJI GO onto Android tablet. Connected tablet to RC (powered on), launched DJI GO app, and cannot get by the "Connect your DJI Device" screen.

Once again attempted to update RC with 1.3.2 firmware using a USB card reader and the port on the RC. No change in behavior (namely, no activity at all.)

Once again, attempted to update RC to 1.3.2 firmware using micro SD in aircraft, RC connected to aircraft. No change in behavior (aircraft beeps once every two seconds, LED status light on RC stays green, no .txt file created.)

Frustrated.....

R
You cannot update the RC while it is connected to the aircraft

You cannot update the RC while it is connected to the aircraft
Sure you can. It's the only option for those people who must update via the memory card and do not have a memory card reader to connect the memory card to the remote controller directly.

Sure you can. It's the only option for those people who must update via the memory card and do not have a memory card reader to connect the memory card to the remote controller directly.
The instructions clearly state to turn on the controller or at least that is what they said originally-- Havent read them lately.
Going to go back and look-- maybe I am dreaming in my old age.

The instructions clearly state to turn on the controller or at least that is what they said originally-- Havent read them lately.
Going to go back and look-- maybe I am dreaming in my old age.
Right. You definitely must turn on the remote controller when installing the firmware on the remote controller. That's a must no matter which update method you choose.

I'm still hacking away at this..... I've downgraded the bird to 1.3.2 (well, it sort of did that by itself when I went to use the "Connect to Aircraft to Update RC" mode.) Now when I try to upgrade the RC to 1.3.2 by connecting to the aircraft (yes, MSinger is correct, you ABSOLUTELY are supposed to be able to do this in the event you don't have a USB card reader (I do, just isn't working), the aircraft beeps as before, BUT, now the status light on the gimbal flashes red/green as it does when upgrading, and, after a minute or so, I get the hard, constant beep, solid red LED on gimbal which indicates an update FAILURE. My guess is that the update that is failing is the RC, but I only get the very terse message in the .txt file.

Will those "hidden" files in the log tell me more? How do I get to those again? (site search did no reveal this....)

Thanks!

R

Why not give the bird a rest for a while and try installing 1.2.8 on your remote controller via your memory card reader? If that works, then install 1.3.2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4