RC Signal Strength

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wonder if anybody has encountered a purple (very poor) signal strength indication on HealthyDrones ( now called AitData UAV)?

On all my flights, none of which are in a built up area and are invariably in open fields. no power lines, no trees in the flight path and at altitudes fro 32' to 200' no matter what height the signal trace on the site mentioned above is always showing as Very Poor.

Despite, this, the drone responds to commands without any problem and as would be expected completes Litchi Waypoint Missions without complaint!

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Above is a shared link from my most recent flight.

Bob

Bob the link you stated shows no tips, no warnings and your path is all yellow. There is no purple on it unless me or my phone has went color blind. Looks like a normal flight at a quick glance.

Are you talking about those minor signal errors?

That's very odd, as I just checked and my flights are nearly all green (as expected) unless I'm really pushing the distance or have houses in the way (at good distance as well). Do you have your antennas pointing up (parallel to each other), but perpendicular to the your aircraft?

OK, checked signal with Go4 1m apart, nothing green all red and tiny lines. Took drone back to Maplin, advised to downgrade firmware then upgrade and calibrate. Did that and took it for another flight, still very poor signal even in a field. Went back to Maplin after work showed them no signal and they agreed to send it off for repair. Let's see what comes of this!

Below is the data I share with Maplin in the UK that convinced them there is something seriously wrong with the RC connection to the drone.

This is the flight path - altitude 200'
flight.png

This is the Signal Map - Not Good
signal map.png

This is the Signal Score - NOT Good!
signal score.png

This is the GPS Strength - ALL Good
gps.png

This is the Compass - ALL Good
compass.png

Anyone have any idea what is going on?
Bob

Oh dear looks like I am going to a have a fight on my hands with this one! Got this text back from Maplins yesterday

'Hello, this is a SMS from Maplin Electronics, Following the inspection of your Drone, it has been confirmed there is no fault. The Drone will be returned to the address specified when you returned your Drone'

There was an email response in the text, not included above, so I sent them a stern email, with the images in my previous post above asking 'how they arrived at the conclusion' no reply as of this moment in time!

Ok I think I may have sorted what is going on here.

P4 came back from Maplins, with no fault found as mentioned above.
Finally got to fly again today (bloody awful weather in the UK for the last few days)

Performed two flights in the same field 1 was a litchi Mission, and the other manually flown using DJI Go4

Uploaded the logs to AirData and this is what is shown.

Litchi Mission:

upload_2017-4-17_18-44-56.png

Note: Very Poor signal between RC and Drone

This is the DJI Go4 Signal Map
upload_2017-4-17_18-46-41.png

Still not brilliant with Stock RC but far better than the Litchi App Signal

Then it occurred to me, once the litchi mission is uploaded to the drone, surely there is not much communication between the drone and the controller unless the pilot either A) takes manual control or B) activates RTH thoughts?

Kind regards,

Bob

Ok I think I may have sorted what is going on here.

P4 came back from Maplins, with no fault found as mentioned above.
Finally got to fly again today (bloody awful weather in the UK for the last few days)

Performed two flights in the same field 1 was a litchi Mission, and the other manually flown using DJI Go4

Uploaded the logs to AirData and this is what is shown.

Litchi Mission:

View attachment 80670

Note: Very Poor signal between RC and Drone

This is the DJI Go4 Signal Map
View attachment 80671

Still not brilliant with Stock RC but far better than the Litchi App Signal

Then it occurred to me, once the litchi mission is uploaded to the drone, surely there is not much communication between the drone and the controller unless the pilot either A) takes manual control or B) activates RTH thoughts?

Kind regards,

Bob
I suspect that you are not alone in seeing these results. I see these types of errors when I review my flights, particularly using litchi WP missions (very few signal issues using dji4 app). I keep an eye on my signal strength at all times and having a boosted setup, I find some of the results weird and suspect. You are right in assuming that once a mission is loaded it will continue regardless of the signal strength as the trip is loaded into the drone and is virtually independent of the control unless you want to cancel the trip or RTH. I think your results are more to do with the metrics used to calculate the data by Airdata than a fault with your drone setup.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.