RC Signal Lost

Hi fellow P3 pilots,

I have aserious issue. I bought the new P3 stand and all seems fine. Did an upgrade, but i now receive RC Signal Lost on the screen.....

This drone is brand new! Any advise?

Thanx

I had the same problem when I did the up date. I can not take credit for the fix but I found the answer later after many site visits. I would assume the up-date did not include the need to re-sink your controller to your phantom. To quickly confirm a communication problem, lift the phantom over your head while it is on. You will see a small counter sunk LED light. (This is not the large blinking lights you always see) If the small LED is red then you need to Sync your controller to the phantom. If it is green.... You don't have a sync issue. I had a sync issue after the up-date.
The person I found and followed suggested re-link your RC to your drone. Using the app, touch the signal icon and go down to the picture of the controller (looks like a plug). Now scroll down until you see linking RC. Press this and you will see (are you sure). Hit yes. When it starts to look for your drone it will tell you to touch a button on your drone to send the signal for the controller to find. There is a picture on the location of this button but it does not help much, so basically hold the phantom over your head and you will see a small red (no communication) light up in a recessed area. While the controller is looking ...... Push this small red light (button) in. (Use a tooth pick or something to fit in the hole leading to the light)You will feel it re-set. Let off and let it do its thing. The light will turn green when you are back in communication. Should be a go from here.

Reactions: jpferry315
I had the same problem when I did the up date. I can not take credit for the fix but I found the answer later after many site visits. I would assume the up-date did not include the need to re-sink your controller to your phantom. To quickly confirm a communication problem, lift the phantom over your head while it is on. You will see a small counter sunk LED light. (This is not the large blinking lights you always see) If the small LED is red then you need to Sync your controller to the phantom. If it is green.... You don't have a sync issue. I had a sync issue after the up-date.
The person I found and followed suggested re-link your RC to your drone. Using the app, touch the signal icon and go down to the picture of the controller (looks like a plug). Now scroll down until you see linking RC. Press this and you will see (are you sure). Hit yes. When it starts to look for your drone it will tell you to touch a button on your drone to send the signal for the controller to find. There is a picture on the location of this button but it does not help much, so basically hold the phantom over your head and you will see a small red (no communication) light up in a recessed area. While the controller is looking ...... Push this small red light (button) in. (Use a tooth pick or something to fit in the hole leading to the light)You will feel it re-set. Let off and let it do its thing. The light will turn green when you are back in communication. Should be a go from here.
This procedure is for no link between r/c and P3. It does not fix the signal lost issue. Signal loss issue can occur at any range and altitude. But you have to have a connection to the r/c in the first place to even start the motors.

Same thing here. But the strange thing is that i flew first time after the firmware update perfectly fine. No issues. Second flight and after, i am also getting lost signal weak remote issue.
This is a different issue. Your weak signal happened in flight whereas the RC lost signal here happens after the latest firmware update. You might need to adjust your antenna properly in flight.

This is a different issue. Your weak signal happened in flight whereas the RC lost signal here happens after the latest firmware update. You might need to adjust your antenna properly in flight.
Antenna is properly adjusted. Still loses signal on short distances. No limitations from settings either. It loses signal. Same places where i flew way higher and further before.

Antenna is properly adjusted. Still loses signal on short distances. No limitations from settings either. It loses signal. Same places where i flew way higher and further before.
Did you try to unninstall app and reinstall? I had the same problem also and I did all calabraitions and other still did it. I haven't updated the app in a while and after updating app the signal problem was gone.

Did you try to unninstall app and reinstall? I had the same problem also and I did all calabraitions and other still did it. I haven't updated the app in a while and after updating app the signal problem was gone.
Will try today and post the results

I too have a new P3s. Installed update yesterday. I get the same message right off. Have never even attached props.

Update: well I synced my controller and that got rid of the problem. Now I just have to wait for this 25-30 mph wind to end so that I can do a range test.

Last edited:
Reactions: jscutler
Hi fellow Pilots...I also have a P3s for 6 weeks now and regarding signal lost...the max I can can in range is 300m
before RTH kicks in...made a windsurfer WI-FI booster today and see if that makes if any diff tomorrow...any
feedback appreciated...safe flying!

I have the same exact issue with my P3 Standard right after the latest firmware update. Red "RC Signal Lost" with only 1 bar of strength. RC re-linked 10 times still not working. The message on the phone says RC link process completed but the light on the phantom body still shows red. Deleted and installed app again and re-linked RC again, still not working. Obviously, this is a common issue since I've read so many users having the same issue. Its so stupid that DJI lets a faulty firmware into the market and forces people to install it. Also, stupid for them to eliminate the SD card update method and forces all updates to be using the app. Now there is no way retry a firmware update unless the app prompts you.

Before this issue, I also had the short RC range issue. I fly up and down my street. From my house to the top of the street is about 150 meters/450 ft. The drone was only at 50 meters high.The RC connection gets lost when I get to the top of the street. This occurs everytime. When it loses connection, the drone just sits there in the air. Eventually, it reconnects the RC by itself and controls are restored. Right when it loses RC connection, I saw the RC signal strength was full. So the connection drop doesn't really make sense. This is no where near the half mile (800 meter) range DJI advertises. I am pretty much flying line of sight and have tried adjusting the antenna.

Hi i got my P3s range out to 550m before signal loss...i think range can be improved if weather good and have no
obstacles like trees, towers ,walls etc. that interfere with signal.

Ahh sigh. I have the problem too. I'll try resyncing the controller today. That sounds like the fix...

My first grey screen today. Heart sank it was over water. She returned home though.

With most fliers with this issue, re-syncing/pairing the RC and the phantom does not fix the issue. This includes myself and most threads I've been reading. AS for the short range problem, I was flying straight up above my head to 398 ft/ 120m. The RC signal kept going in and out. The signal gets lost and comes back with full bars on the meter. Makes no sense since it was direct line of sight and signal strength comes back strong.

With most fliers with this issue, re-syncing/pairing the RC and the phantom does not fix the issue. This includes myself and most threads I've been reading. AS for the short range problem, I was flying straight up above my head to 398 ft/ 120m. The RC signal kept going in and out. The signal gets lost and comes back with full bars on the meter. Makes no sense since it was direct line of sight and signal strength comes back strong.

Yeah you're correct. Re-linking controller got nothing to do with it. It connects to the drone just fine. But the signal going out with full bars at direct line of sight at 200 feet distance makes no sense! Same problem here. I can only imagine how long it will take DJI to fix it if it's really the firmware related problem

It's a shame because I just got back from Best Buy... I just returned my standard because of the same issue...I would go out about 200yrds and then bam my screen goes out and rc signals lost and the quad goes into rth mode...this started happening about 4-5 flights after I updated the software the Saturday after Christmas.
I guess I'll save up for the advanced or pro....there doesn't seem to be that many problems with these models

I had the same problem with the RC signal lost. Ive had my P3S for about a month with no issues but a firmware update came up the app so I did the update and lost my RC signal. I looked under my P3S and the little signal light was red. I relinked using the instruction in the owners manual and got my signal back. It's outlined on page 24 in the owners manual pdf. I was back in the air in 20 minutes.

Took my P3s for an early morning flight (still dark) got 300m and signal loss again...Right time to try my Windsurfer Wifi booster for first time..took off again 500m...750...cant see bird arm lights now..1000m...1300m and signal loss RTH kicks
in.(.glad to see phantom arm lights on horizon phew!) range was improved!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj