RC Signal Lost message as soon as connected

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just received a P3S. Initially everything appeared to work fine (I didn't attempt to fly it) During the out of the box checks, it could not ID the firmware on the aircraft, nor did it state that it needed a firmware update. I ( unfortunately ) manually attempted to do a firmware install first to v1.5 using archives on Phantom Help. This has been reported as being historically the most stable with the fewest issues. It didn't appear to take. The RC Signal lost message began appearing immediately after connection at this point. The log file indicated the v1.5 FW file was corrupted. Thereafter I attempted to update to the very latest 1.7. Log shows it was successful, but I continue getting the RC Signal Lost when message when first connected.

I attempted downgrading and upgrading firmware and the above stated message continues. Once at 1.7, downgrading lower than 1.6 does not appear to be possible.

A few interesting things. The aircraft does appear to be connect to the DJI GO app. I can change various settings that communicate with the aircraft, but I can't initiate flight not even in the simulator....all things related to the RC. I've attempted to relink the RC using the reset button on the AC. It states it it was successful but the above message continues. Also the small light by the link button doesn't turn green after successfully linking.

I'm thinking the RC firmware may be out of sync with the aircraft, but don't know how to get them at a compatible level. Any thoughts or suggestions?(other than don't mess with the firmware unless requested[emoji23])

Thanks!

Update the controller (through DJI go), relink and reboot all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I had done this previously but decided to give it a try with my iPhone instead of my iPad. For some reason, trying this on my iPhone recognized that there was a newer firmware available for the RC. I performed the upgrade and reconnected to the AC. Unfortunately the problem still exists where the message "RC Signal Lost" appears in the top status line. I again attempted to relink the RC to the AC. It appears successful but the link reset button stays red. Interesting that even the simulator won't work with this error. At this point, not sure if it's an RC error or a AC problem. I thought the link reset button was always green.

Any more suggestions?

Delete CACHE and DATA, uninstall app, re-install, reboot everything...

Tried that as well as a iPad hard reset. RC Signal Lost message continues.

Thanks again for offering suggestions on this Problem.

Heard this a bit ago... weird fix.. Take sd card out. format it. power on without it in.

May have been this one:

Does that fix it for both of you guys?

How about uninstall app, clear device cache, reboot device, install app reboot all?

I've tried it all and no change. The key thing here is the re-link button light never turns green after re-linking, even though the app states successful. It is always red. Any flight communications to the aircraft doesn't work, including auto takeoff from DJI Go app. It does however take settings and calibration commands from the app to store in the AC. Interestingly, if I hold down the re-link button, and continue to hold it in during power up, then release, it blinks green but still can't be linked when attempting to do so through the app.

All of this started with firmware loading. I'm wondering if firmware changes can somehow permanently damage hardware.

Thanks so much for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Your situation and results are exactly the same as mine and I agree with your suspicion about a bad firmware upgrade damaging the hardware somehow. The new one I bought had performed flawlessly so far and oddly it hasn't asked me to do a firmware update at all. I'm not sure if DJI will give any feedback once they receive my original one or just replace it. I'll post the results anyway in case it helps anyone else in the future.

Happy New Year!

Seems like DJI would build more failsafes into the firmware update/downgrade process to prevent this kind of problem. This forum is littered with a multitude of stories of firmware upgrades gone bad.

If it wasn't for the excellent support network offered through forums such as this one, and the large third party market, I would consider another brand....either Autel or Yuneec. Their customer support is suppose to be first class, but their product at this point doesn't offer as many features. All brands have their issues, so for now I'm giving DJI another chance. Best of luck with your new bird.

Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with DJI support. Only about a 15 minute wait...so not too bad. Appears the above described problem is hardware related, and it can't be fixed without returning it. With that, it seems to further prove that firmware upgrades/downgrades can damage hardware in some cases. They did mention that another firmware 1.0.8xx will be released soon, but that wouldn't fix the "RC Signal Lost" message I am getting.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl