RC Firmware Update Frightening Warning

Reaction score
RC Firmware update 1.0.2.31 is available for my v3 controller but it gives two warnings that concern me. The update says for new controller only and asks me in big red letters if I'm sure I really want to do this. My controller has the gimbal adjustment wheel on the upper left hand corner. Am I safe to upgrade to 1.0.2.31?

Blue Wave said:
RC Firmware update 1.0.2.31 is available for my v3 controller but it gives two warnings that concern me. The update says for new controller only and asks me in big red letters if I'm sure I really want to do this. My controller has the gimbal adjustment wheel on the upper left hand corner. Am I safe to upgrade to 1.0.2.31?
I don't think that that warning dialogue is meant to warn you about the upgrade itself - it's a stable, proven firmware upgrade. Rather, I think it's meant to make you aware that the upgrade process itself can seriously damage your firmware if you don't pay attention to the process. Losing power in the middle of the update, for example, can render the hardware that you are flashing as useless. Take it as a warning to follow all the firmware upgrade precautions, not as a warning that the new update itself might be dangerous.

By the way...do note that if you upgrade the firmware, you might have to recalibrate your gimbal. You can do that on the usual IMU calibration page but make sure to run the control wheel through its range while you're doing it, just like you do for the sticks by wiggling them through their full range. After I upgraded my transmitter, my gimbal did a little freak-out dance when I powered up, and going back to re-calibrate fixed it.

I've been using the update, no problems with a few 10s of flights.

That said, no matter what update I do I always perform full calibration. For an RC update I would suggest calibrating in RC Assist AND calibrate in the Vision Assist. No need in taking any chances that some calibration got changed (or maybe I just suggest this out of an abundance of caution).

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic