RC does not upgrade

My RC won't update either!!!!
This is very frustrating!!!!

Updated the Aircraft with no issues. to v1.4.0010
Updated the App on my iPhone 6 and my Nexus 7 from their respective app stores. v2.2.0
I can't get the RC to initiate firmware update with USB flash drive in USB port.
I can't get the RC to connect to the phone or tablet with updated apps.
When both aircraft and RC are turned on, the remote will still control the aircraft.

I have turned everything on and off at least 12 times. Been at this for 2 hours.

WHAT TO DO NOW!!!!

If you updated the R/C at version 1.3.2 you will not need to update this time around.

If you have never update to 1.3.2 you will need to complete a R/C firmware update. Most have found it worked best for them to have only the firmware on the miniSD card, place card in camera/gimbal, connect cable from R/C to camera/gimbal, power on R/C, power on Aircraft, follow remaining instructions on R/C lights and sounds.

DON'T forget to do ALL CALIBRATIONS!!!!

I did not give up, and was finally able to upgrade the RC.
Thanks to all that responded. Here is information that helped me that might help others:

1. If the app says it needs an upgrade, then it does need one - do not ignore it!
2. The thing that allowed me to finally update was to take a USB stick, reformat it and extract the zip file of version 1.3.2 on it, so that it is the only thing on the stick. Note I had tried this before but I had other files on the drive and it did not work, so for me, it was the fact that the USB stick was empty.
3. The phantom does NOT need to be on
4. After turning power on the RC, the status LED changed from red to blue in less than a minute.
5. It started beeping and flashing the LED - the whole update lasted less than 3 minutes.
6. When it was done the beeping and blinking stopped, and on the USB there was a txt file that had "success".
7. It is true that version 1.4.0 does not change the firmware on the controller
8. I did need to calibrate the IMU afterwards. It alerted me to do so.

Last edited:
I have Ph3 RC on 1.1.8 now. Tried to upgrade to 1.1.9, 1.2.6 or to 1.3.20 - no reaction at all.

Have you tried putting the 1.3.20 directly in the root of a thumb drive and then putting it in your controller? It takes a while (someone above said 2 mins and that might be right) for the controller to read the thumb drive and start the update. Phantom doesn't need to be on... just put the thumb drive in the controller and turn it on and wait....

I did not give up, and was finally able to upgrade the RC.
Thanks to all that responded. Here is information that helped me that might help others:

1. If the app says it needs an upgrade, then it does need one - do not ignore it!
2. The thing that allowed me to finally update was to take a USB stick, reformat it and extract the zip file of version 1.3.2 on it, so that it is the only thing on the stick. Note I had tried this before but I had other files on the drive and it did not work, so for me, it was the fact that the USB stick was empty.
3. The phantom does NOT need to be on
4. After turning power on the RC, the status LED changed from red to blue in less than a minute.
5. It started beeping and flashing the LED - the whole update lasted less than 3 minutes.
6. When it was done the beeping and blinking stopped, and on the USB there was a txt file that had "success".

Thanks, I've done exactly what you did: formatted, stuck in, switched RC on, waited for much longer than 2 minutes. Nope! Nothing. It started biping after around 5 minutes and +- 2 minutes later went off.

Have you tried putting the 1.3.20 directly in the root of a thumb drive and then putting it in your controller? It takes a while (someone above said 2 mins and that might be right) for the controller to read the thumb drive and start the update. Phantom doesn't need to be on... just put the thumb drive in the controller and turn it on and wait....

Done, exactly as you said. Waited. Nothing. Started to bip and went off another 3 min or so later. I did not touch it and Phantom is off all the time.

Done, exactly as you said. Waited. Nothing. Started to bip and went off another 3 min or so later. I did not touch it and Phantom is off all the time.

Have you tried more than one thumb drive? also was your thumbdrive formatted to
  • FAT32/exFAT?

Have you tried more than one thumb drive? also was your thumbdrive formatted to
  • FAT32/exFAT?

It is unbelievable but changing flash drive has solved a problem: upgraded to 1.3.20! Thank you!

Sorry for repeating but I would suggest the following modus of operandi:

2. The thing that allowed me to finally update was to take a USB stick, reformat it and extract the zip file of version 1.3.2 on it, so that it is the only thing on the stick. Note I had tried this before but I had other files on the drive and it did not work, so for me, it was the fact that the USB stick was empty. USB stick can have other files on it (in my case) but if one USB does not work - try another one. It did the trick for me!
3. The phantom does NOT need to be on.
4. After turning power on the RC, the status LED light changed from red to blue in less than a minute.
6. When it was done the beeping and blinking stopped, and on the USB there was a txt file that had "success". Named: P3_FW_GS_LOG and P3_FW_RESULT_GS.

Reactions: Buckaye
I had the same issue. Came to the conclusion it was an exfat issue. USB or charm that is over 16gb can only be formatted using exfat (you can do fat32 but that's a whole different post). As soon as I used the original 16gb card and formatted it to fat 32 worked first time.

Be interesting to find out what thumb drives you guys were using and which worked. Were they smaller sizes?

Reactions: Gixxer
I had the same issue. Came to the conclusion it was an exfat issue. USB or charm that is over 16gb can only be formatted using exfat (you can do fat32 but that's a whole different post). As soon as I used the original 16gb card and formatted it to fat 32 worked first time.

Be interesting to find out what thumb drives you guys were using and which worked. Were they smaller sizes?

Hi, first one I used that didn't work was 32GB micro SDHC card. One that worked was 64GB Leef flash drive, I think some Chinese stuff.

Thank you so much!!!!

I've been at this for hours. RC was on 1.1.8 (RC type A) tried everything. All i had to do was format my Transcend 16gb USB stick to fat 32 and it worked first time!!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I've been searching forums all night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic