RC does not upgrade

Reaction score
I wanted to separate the threads because some people are having problems updating the bird.
Mine, and a few others, have successfully updated the bird, however the RC does not update.

I know it needs an update because the app is telling me it needs to be updated.
In the following, the status light is the one of the controller. If it is upgrading, it should turn blue:

1. Through the app - cannot upgrade. This makes sense as I had not updated it for a long time (was still on 1.1.8).
2. Inserting a USB stick with the firmware in root - nothing happens: Status light stays red.
3. Repeat step 2 with the bird on - nothing happens: Status light stays green
4. With a usb cable connected between the gimbal and the controller. Phantom on first, than controller - nothing happens: status light stays green.

Rc as wrote don't need to be updated.
can you point me to where it says the RC does not need to be updated - in addition none of the new features are anywhere to be found on the DJI GO screens (probably has nothing to do w/ rc firmware update) - I am on the new release of the app - 2.2 the only difference I saw was an FAA tutorial pops up and a mention of "follow me' pops up on the screen but for the life of me I can't figure out where these new options appear

Made the same mistake. It is in the upgrade notes.pdf.

Rc/Tx doesn't need to be updated. It's in the release notes found in the bottom half of the phantom 3 downloads page on dji website.

To access the new flight modes your Multiplle flight modes must be enabled and you have to switch to F mode on your controller. A small icon will appear beside the status bar and when you tap on it , it will show u all the new functions.

can you point me to where it says the RC does not need to be updated - in addition none of the new features are anywhere to be found on the DJI GO screens (probably has nothing to do w/ rc firmware update) - I am on the new release of the app - 2.2 the only difference I saw was an FAA tutorial pops up and a mention of "follow me' pops up on the screen but for the life of me I can't figure out where these new options appear
See what I wrote above

Rc as wrote don't need to be updated.
This is incorrect.
After updating my Phantom with the latest firmware, and with the latest dji GO app, I get this screen:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441649420.270892.jpg

Now, how do I proceed from here?
Also note that it depends which was your last version. So, a blanket statement RC does not need upgrade can be true only if you had the most recent firmware prior to the latest release. I did not. I had 1.1.8 as mentioned in the original post.

This is incorrect.
After updating my Phantom with the latest firmware, and with the latest dji GO app, I get this screen:
View attachment 29951

What model is your transmitter?
I had that problem during the last few firmware. The past two firmware upgrade I've never been able to successfully upgrade the transmitter using usb stick or any other methods.

After a while the upgrade message will disappear. Probably a bug.

Flipping the mode switch brings up the new features. You have to be connected to the aircraft.

I am having the same problem with the new app and the radio. The bird took three attempts to upgrade. Mine is a new out of the box P3 Pro. I am putting mine away for the day as I have spent hours trying to get stuff to work. (This is my third system as the first two were defective out of the box.) What a pain!!! And to think I gave up a perfect P2 GoPro FatShark system. UGH!

I am having the same problem with the new app and the radio. The bird took three attempts to upgrade. Mine is a new out of the box P3 Pro. I am putting mine away for the day as I have spent hours trying to get stuff to work. (This is my third system as the first two were defective out of the box.) What a pain!!! And to think I gave up a perfect P2 GoPro FatShark system. UGH!
Never liked the gopro wide angle view for professional work. It looks too casual.

Rc/Tx doesn't need to be updated. It's in the release notes found in the bottom half of the phantom 3 downloads page on dji website.

To access the new flight modes your Multiplle flight modes must be enabled and you have to switch to F mode on your controller. A small icon will appear beside the status bar and when you tap on it , it will show u all the new functions.
thanks for the reply, I truly appreciate the information - finding information like this (from DJI) should not have to be a snipe hunt, this info should have been in the body of the formal announcement -

This is incorrect.
View attachment 29951

Also note that it depends which was your last version. So, a blanket statement RC does not need upgrade can be true only if you had the most recent firmware prior to the latest release. I did not. I had 1.1.8 as mentioned in the original post.

You need to upgrade the RC to 1.3.20, then you don´t get that massage.

Reactions: Sammynels
This is incorrect.
View attachment 29951

No what i wrote is correct.

You've to download 1.3.2 to update the rc only because you've too previous fw version installed. Last rc update is in 1.3.2

I saw it in the notes for the upgrade when I updated the firmware.

Guys, please stay on topic so the thread can be useful for other people. This is a thread only about the RC not updating, while the app says it is required.

My RC model is GL.300A

I also tried to install through USB sticks version 1.1.9, 1.2.6, and 1.3.2 - all did not do anything.
BTW, I am getting the new modes on the app - but no matter what I do, I cannot get the Upgrade required message to go away.

Last edited:
Guys, please stay on topic so the thread can be useful for other people. This is a thread only about the RC not updating, while the app says it is required.

My RC model is GL.300A

I also tried to install through USB sticks version 1.1.9, 1.2.6, and 1.3.2 - all did not do anything.
BTW, I am getting the new modes on the app - but no matter what I do, I cannot get the Upgrade required message to go away.
It will probably disappear after a while. I had the message for a while and couldn't get rid of it. Then one day when I turned on the message was gone!

You need to upgrade the RC to 1.3.20, then you don´t get that massage.
where does one look to confirm what version of RC firmware their RC is actully working on - I have the same question about where to look to confirm battery firmware release as well - I see folks quoting what release their batteries are on and I have yet to find where this info is located
MJW

My RC model is GL.300A

Wait with usb stick in the rc with bin version 1.3.2 at least 2 minutes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4