RC battery won't last #help

Reaction score
Hello all!

Ive been reading the forum a lot for some time now and all the info posted is just amazing, learned a lot!
Of course the manual is my first choice, ive read it several times.

However I cant find a solution for an issue Im having with my P4 RC.

Ive had it for 3 weeks, and every time I charge the battery (RC only) I will never get all 4 LEDs.. when I plug it to the charger I see the lights blinking as it charges but after a while they just shut off... and never get to the 4th LED.
Also, when Im flying... the battery would only last for about an hour.. sometimes even less....
I charge the RC only, not both RC and P4 battery...

is this normal ? Isnt it supposed to last a lot longer??

Im using it with iphone 6s... is it possible that it drains to fast because it charges the iphone ?
If that's the case, can this be turned off?

Any suggestions ?
Thanks!

I have the same set up as you and you should be seeing all the lights as it progresses through the charging cycle before switching itself off. Do the batteries charge ok? I charge both the controller and batteries together as that is what the charger is designed for. The iPhone should have little or no bearing on the battery life of the controller, if the batteries charge up fine, it may be an issue with the controller battery and time to exercise your warranty.

Reactions: Erised
I just returned my RC because just outta the blue and all of the sudden, is only charging up to 71% and drains fast. It lights LED 3/4

Tried everything...downgrading firmware...updating...battery discharge...changing chargers...to no avail.

Ordered a new one on ebay, since I use my P4 for work and do not have the leisure of waiting 1 month.

Sent from my SM-G935F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I charge both the controller and batteries together as that is what the charger is designed for.

If you can avoid charging both at same time and full charge (=long duration) there will be less heat in the charger, which is better for the components. Did you know DJI does not recommend to both charge at the same time despite looking designed for?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you can avoid charging both at same time and full charge (=long duration) there will be less heat in the charger, which is better for the components. Did you know DJI does not recommend to both charge at the same time despite looking designed for?

You might find the one a time charge rule doesn't apply to the P4.

Wasn't aware of that nor had I read it in the manual. My charger sis in a very cool part of the house and I am pretty strict with when and how I charge and cycle them. I upload my flight data each flight and check for any unusual cell deviations, but will do some research tonight and see what I can find. Cheers.

Well that's interesting, reading through the links suggest that it is more of an extended charging cycle due to the current split between the two battery capacities. From my experience, the remote is charged fairly quickly and the quad battery takes longer which is to be expected, I have never noticed any heating issues with either the charger or battery but as mentioned before, I have a dedicated area for charging that is much cooler than anywhere else in the house. I understand that incorrect charging cycles can affect the life of the battery but figured that when the cycle is finished by the charger, that the battery is fully charged (or as close as the charger is capable). No issues with charging the batteries separately as I have spare units to carry me through the day but I would be expecting to see a release from DJI if there were any challenges in doing what most people are probably doing at the moment. Or highlight it in the manual as a cautionary note. Thanks again.

Like tevek said, time to exercise your warranty. My RC last 2 x 4 batteries before the second light flashes, that's about 2+ hours of air time.

Reactions: pudrus
oh boy.. it sucks that I live in Buenos Aires and the drone was brought to me then...
lets see what happens now

They removed the recommendation at some point so various opinions on this, however:

This one for current factor impact:
Charge the battery and the remote controller?
This one for longer heat charger exposure:
Charging simultaniously still a thing?

They removed the recommendation at some point so various opinions on this, however:

This one for current factor impact:
Charge the battery and the remote controller?
This one for longer heat charger exposure:
Charging simultaniously still a thing?

Thank you for the links. It is usually safe to proceed in accordance with manufacturer instructions (or in this instance abscence of specific instruction/recommendation). Nothing within the opinions posted persuades me to believe there may be an issue.

The power supply is almost certainly switch mode architecture. In circumstances where the supply is demanded to supply above the rated current to the load the voltage control loop will command the pulse width modulator to maximum duty cycle. Where a potential overcurrent condition is sensed the pulse width will be reduced by overriding the voltage control amplifier.

The worst outcome will be charging will take longer to complete.

Thank you for the links. It is usually safe to proceed in accordance with manufacturer instructions (or in this instance abscence of specific instruction/recommendation). Nothing within the opinions posted persuades me to believe there may be an issue.

The power supply is almost certainly switch mode architecture. In circumstances where the supply is demanded to supply above the rated current to the load the voltage control loop will command the pulse width modulator to maximum duty cycle. Where a potential overcurrent condition is sensed the pulse width will be reduced by overriding the voltage control amplifier.

The worst outcome will be charging will take longer to complete.
I'm leaning towards towards your more expansive description of the method of charging. My only experience with batteries were managing those on a submarine and we would use a combination of both constant current and voltage to either float or quickly charge the cells dependent on both the condition of the cells or the skippers plan during the trip. I am assuming that despite the differences in technology and type of cell being charged, that your summation still holds true.

I'm leaning towards towards your more expansive description of the method of charging. My only experience with batteries were managing those on a submarine and we would use a combination of both constant current and voltage to either float or quickly charge the cells dependent on both the condition of the cells or the skippers plan during the trip. I am assuming that despite the differences in technology and type of cell being charged, that your summation still holds true.
The specific charge conditions are controlled by circuitry in the battery/controller. The charger brick is simply a voltage regulated power source. The consideration here was whether charging controller and battery simultaneously may overload the supply. This seems unlikely (if even possible) given the known design of switch mode power supplies (the circuitry will prevent an overcurrent failure mode).

For the purposes of your considerations think of the power brick as the diesel (or whatever drive unit was employed) generator that fed the charging circuit on the sub.

The specific charge conditions are controlled by circuitry in the battery/controller. The charger brick is simply a voltage regulated power source. The consideration here was whether charging controller and battery simultaneously may overload the supply. This seems unlikely (if even possible) given the known design of switch mode power supplies (the circuitry will prevent an overcurrent failure mode).

For the purposes of your considerations think of the power brick as the diesel (or whatever drive unit was employed) generator that fed the charging circuit on the sub.
Agreed, same process and methodology, different technology.

Nevertheless we can note that DJI person said in March that separation is recommended if customer not in rush.

614c133cd6f14ffb171ab1d0ac1eb488.jpg

Nevertheless we can note that DJI person said in March that separation is recommended if customer not in rush.

614c133cd6f14ffb171ab1d0ac1eb488.jpg

Amy @ DJI also claimed P3 filters would not fit P4 and and made a few other claims/statements that proved incorrect.

The only components I would be concerned about in the power brick are the electrolytic caps, voltage ratings tend to be marginal and they are derated with increased temp. Not so much of an issue in 110V countries (I'm measuring 256V on the mains where I am and have lost count of how many caps I have replaced in the power supplies in my devices).

The control circuitry will ensure over current failure modes don't eventuate.

That topic is also discussed here at 3´10 onwards;
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.