Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Sign up for a weekly email of the latest drone news & information

RC Antenna Mod. Splice or Cut Goop?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by rbhamilton, Feb 19, 2015.

  1. rbhamilton

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    13
  2. CityZen

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2014
    Messages:
    940
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    NYC
  3. max

    max

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2014
    Messages:
    199
    Likes Received:
    6
    If you're talking about the white glue on the remote (can't be 100% sure because the video won't load on my phone) then it is very easy to cut away with an xacto blade. Note also there is an antenna mod sub-forum in the P2V+ forum that has lots of good posts
     
  4. rbhamilton

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2014
    Messages:
    539
    Likes Received:
    13
    Thanks but the goops in the RC isn't the black stuff (thank goodness). Or at least it wasn't in the V2 remote. I shouldn't say - I haven't opened the V3 remote yet. The V2 remote had white stuff you could slowly chip away at. I did that and removed my old cable to do the antenna mod. Now I'm looking at the new V3 remote I wonder if I should splice or chip away.

    I've seen info on both sides of things. The chipping and scraping away method definitely works (I've done it) but the length of the wire is different when you replace it and I'm not sure if that's an issue. Plus you can damage the connector if you aren't careful. The splice method has more cutting and some soldering but I'm OK with that.
     
  5. dirkclod

    dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 9, 2014
    Messages:
    10,652
    Likes Received:
    5,705
    Location:
    Amory Mississippi
    The V3 TX is the same as far as the white glue in the V2 and came off as easy as the V2 did with mine . I just used an xacto blade and took my time .
     
  6. Bluethundr

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2015
    Messages:
    220
    Likes Received:
    39
    Cut the white goop/glue off. Its super simple. no soldering then and a simple plug and play update. I then used hot glue to secure the new connector in its place.