Raw vs jpeg

Reaction score
So as of right now, my card is full of pictures in both formats.. the raw pictures look smaller than jpegs and seem to have better dynamic range.. but I have no idea what I can I do with them? Is this better for editing? Is there a specific program I should be using? Sorry for the newb question..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may want to use Google for the answer.

jpg images have been processed in an effort to make them look better. RAW images have not so you can use an editor to change things on your own. You've probably used an editor to adjust contrast, saturation, etc. to make a photo look better and then saved it. You've noe changed that photo. If you edit it again, you can only edit on top of the changed you've already made. It's not the same. If you start with a RAW image it's not been edited/corrected in any way. It's also easier for RAW editing software to work with this unedited image.

Reactions: Glintall
So as of right now, my card is full of pictures in both formats.
The idea of using huge cards and keeping your images on the SD card isn't a good idea.
If you value your work, several 16GB cards is a good idea and swap them out each flight.
Copy them across to your computer every flight and format the card.
the raw pictures look smaller than jpegs and seem to have better dynamic range.. but I have no idea what I can I do with them? Is this better for editing? Is there a specific program I should be using?
Both should be identical picture size but because of file compression the jpg files will have a smaller file size (7-9 MB vs 35 MB)
Don't feel that jpg is horribly inferior.
There's a common idea that raw is "best" because serious pros use it but for probably 90% of users jpg is all they need.
It's a lot easier to deal with if you aren't wanting to do serious post processing and the jpg quality from the Phantom is very good anyway.
I swim against the tide and shoot professionally and I use jpg almost exclusively and get very good results.
Every shot in this gallery was shot in jpg: Shipping 2017 - Above & Beyond Photography

I shoot both.

You have way more control in post with a RAW file vs. JPEG. If you goof up on a shot and still have to use it, the RAW file will be more manageable.

This guy has some awesome tutorials on photography..........

If you're going to process them with any photo editor it'd be easier to work with raw. Depends on your purpose, thus)

The idea of using huge cards and keeping your images on the SD card isn't a good idea.
If you value your work, several 16GB cards is a good idea and swap them out each flight.
Copy them across to your computer every flight and format the card.

Both should be identical picture size but because of file compression the jpg files will have a smaller file size (7-9 MB vs 35 MB)
Don't feel that jpg is horribly inferior.
There's a common idea that raw is "best" because serious pros use it but for probably 90% of users jpg is all they need.
It's a lot easier to deal with if you aren't wanting to do serious post processing and the jpg quality from the Phantom is very good anyway.
I swim against the tide and shoot professionally and I use jpg almost exclusively and get very good results.
Every shot in this gallery was shot in jpg: Shipping 2017 - Above & Beyond Photography
Those shots in your link are super sharp and colorful. Were they taken with a Phantom?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20