RAW Photo Question - Red dots

Reaction score
My RAW photos keep coming in with red dots in random spots where it is very dark or black on my photos I take in raw. Any ideas on how I can get rid of them?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I will try and get one on with the website version.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
any update to this? my RAW photos are covered in red dots in black areas

I've got the same problem. A lot of them as well.

DNG Cleaner removed maybe two of hundreds of dots.

Last edited:
Sounds like clipping. Basically Photoshop shows you when the highlights or shadows are too extreme. In this case your image has parts that are too dark. If you look at the histogram, on the left the graph will be touching the side and be quite steep?
If this is the case try decreasing your shadows and highlights, maybe exposure if necessary. If you're happy with how dark it is, on the top corners of the histogram are two triangles. Click them each once and it will turn off the clipping warning.

Sounds like clipping. Basically Photoshop shows you when the highlights or shadows are too extreme. In this case your image has parts that are too dark. If you look at the histogram, on the left the graph will be touching the side and be quite steep?
If this is the case try decreasing your shadows and highlights, maybe exposure if necessary. If you're happy with how dark it is, on the top corners of the histogram are two triangles. Click them each once and it will turn off the clipping warning.
No, I think it's a faulty sensor or something with the ISO in the black areas.

A lot of people are having the same problem:
red / white dots in video
What the heck is this caused by? Red dots...everywhere.
Photo w/red and white dots on the left | DJI Phantom Drone Forum
DJI_0062 | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

I've seen threads on other forums as well.

Increase exposure at time of capture if possible without blowing highlights. Use DNG cleaner as suggested. Also, as you have observed, the noise is random. If you take multiple frames you can stack, align and blend in Photoshop. Set your opacity to 100% for image 1 then half for each following frame in stack. i.e. 100, 50, 25, 12, 6 for 5 frames. You will be amazed how clean the resultant blended image will be.

Reactions: scootrkitz

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4