RAW files beginning

Reaction score
I've had my phantom for a few months and have been shooting mostly video. I taught myself basic Final Cut Pro and it's been very rewarding.

I want to delve into photographing with my phantom 3A. But I want to use RAW files. I've always been amazed by the video quality of my P3A, but when I've taken pictures, I feel like they aren't as great. So I'm gonna start to shoot using RAW and hopefully edit the shots.

What software do you recommend? I've read Lightroom. Can I use Adobe Pshop Elements? I'm just worried that the software won't open RAW files.

I've had my phantom for a few months and have been shooting mostly video. I taught myself basic Final Cut Pro and it's been very rewarding.

I want to delve into photographing with my phantom 3A. But I want to use RAW files. I've always been amazed by the video quality of my P3A, but when I've taken pictures, I feel like they aren't as great. So I'm gonna start to shoot using RAW and hopefully edit the shots.

What software do you recommend? I've read Lightroom. Can I use Adobe Pshop Elements? I'm just worried that the software won't open RAW files.
I use Lightroom and Photoshop Elements 14 and both deal with RAW files quite happily.

I used Lightroom yesterday to open the raw files from my P3A without any problems. Not sure about Elements.

Lightroom to import & do your processing. Elements for finishing & getting ready to print. You can use Lightroom for most of it. I like photoshop to finish my images for outputting.

Light room will read the raw files. It has nearly all you need to process your images in a totally nondestructive way. It will interface with most adobe pixel editing aps like elements and ps.

I have used lr for years and I think most people underestimate it's ability. It combines a database for managing your image and video collection with Adobe camera raw for nondestructive editing of those images.

I would start with lr and you may find you might not need much else. Just depends on what you need/want to do with the image.

Not sure if you know what raw images are or not. They are essentially the raw data direct from the sensor. As such, things like color balance do nothing to the data when shot. Adjusting color balance in post is lossless as is many other functions. Quality is maintained because all post processing is done starting from direct sensor data and not from preprocessed pixels.

Just make sure when you set up the p3 that you make sure you have enough detail in blacks and are not clipping whites. I don't have a lot of xp on the phantom yet but I would set all the settings to -2. Especially sharpness. The sharpness in the p3 sux. Lr has far superior sharpness functions. The images from the bird will look flat. It's ok, this gives you good uncorrupted data to work with in lr. Once you get a feel for your typical adjustments, you can save them as a preset and you can have lr automatically apply it on import. Remember it's nondestructive so you can go tweAK each file after import with no quality loss.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic