Raw DNG Files

Reaction score
What is the easiest way I can view Phantom RAW DNG files on my computer, without installing heavy applications like PhotoShop?

Also, it seems like the minimum interval you can take RAW images is once very 30 seconds., while JPEG's you can shoot with a 3 second interval. Is this because each file is 21megs so they need 30 seconds to save it ?

Thanks.

Thanks I was looking for something free or open-source. I just want to open it to see how it looks.

For windows download and install the Adobe DNG codec 2.0 from Adobe, you can then view dng files from the phantom using the windows photo viewer.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/ ... ftpID=5495

With regards to the time it takes to process RAW images, the speed of your memory card may be a factor. For more storage capacity I replaced the 4GB card with a Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I card and it takes around 5 seconds to save a RAW +jpg photo. Another reason why it may be taking a long time is that your card is getting full, save all the files from the card onto your computer and then reformat the card.

Colin

Thanks, Colin.

The Adobe Codec worked great.

Regarding the speed of saving, I was not referring to how long it takes to save an image when you click the shutter to save a RAW image. I use the same cards as you.

I am referring to time interval mode. You have a choice to take time lapse photos.
You can set it up that it takes a picture automatically every 3 seconds, 5, 10,etc.

However, if you choose RAW then the software only lets you set it up to take a picture every 30 seconds.
There is no reason for this, as you say the actual save time is 5 seconds.

I guess DJI programmers were using a very slow card so they set it like this ;-) , or I am doing something wrong.

Thanks again.

It does say in the manual (p45) that RAW is not supported in continuous capture mode or timed capture mode. JPEG photos will be created automatically. Maybe you're trying to do something its not able to do. In single capture mode it is possible to take another RAW photo as soon as the first has been recorded on the SD card,

Colin

I have one more suggestion - try FastRawViewer. It's a free, beta-mode program that shows RAW, JPEG, and DNG at very high speeds (6-8 frames per second for photos or 24-30 frames a second for CinemaDNG). It will not only show you the real RAW, but the real RAW histogram as well, and it allows for some technical analysis, such as over- and underexposure indication, white balance determination, focus peaking, and, what I believe to be most important, propagation, as in, any changes you make to one image will carry over to the following ones, until you tell it to stop. Moreover, any changes you make will not actually change the file itself - it will be recorded and saved in XMP files that can then be read by Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw, or any other RAW converter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik