Range

• Thread starter Deleted member 27337
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27337

Hey guys. I'm on vacation at the beach right now with my P4 and I'm getting 2700-3000ft max. This is pretty disappointing! Is this normal?

is that over water or land

fly it out over water bet you will triple or more the distance

I just took mine out to 2500' to an island over open water and was losing signal. Had connections with 16 satellites but there was overcast. I had the parabolic antenna add-on. I am quite disappointed.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Ensure you are pointing your antennae at your Phantom and possibly fly at a higher altitude as this seems to assist in gaining distance. I used just the parabolic antenna on my stock P4 and went nearly 24,000' before turning around.

Ensure you are pointing your antennae at your Phantom and possibly fly at a higher altitude as this seems to assist in gaining distance. I used just the parabolic antenna on my stock P4 and went nearly 24,000' before turning around.

Which windsurfer are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sometimes minor adjustments to the angle to ensure you are pointing in the right direction and gaining some altitude as mentioned will help. Environment plays a big role.

I don't quite understand why everyone is so fascinated with the distance. I was under the impression we were to fly VISUAL line of sight and can only conclude that everyone has eagle eyes if they can still see any Phantom out 3,000 feet or further.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Does line of sight mean "in sight"? I think not. It means nothing is between you and the drone.

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app
VLOS= visual line of sight = visual observation of craft without binoculars or telescope, only eyeglasses.
LOS= line of site = nothing between the controller and the craft, it's not visually seen in many cases.

Technically we're suppose to be within VLOS per FAA, but few pilots comply with this guideline all the time, after they learn the capabilities of Lightbridge communications. Many targets to video are outside of this VLOS capability and pilots will fly FPV to capture their video. Lightbridge sets you free, it's pretty amazing. This is specifically why DJI rocks and others don't.

With Wifi video communications you're almost always within visual sight because Wifi technology is only good for 500-1000m distance. Mediocre IMO.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl