range test with 9bi antenna

Reaction score
So I finally got my external antenna and did a range test . I only got about 800 ft before the picture was cutting out. I think the problem is I am flying straight behind the phantom. I think I read you have to fly it sideways or at an angle to achieve longer distances. ...can any long range jockeys verify?

The antennas on pv2 shoot out the sides of the camera so yes you will get further by flying sideways
You only getting 800 ft with a 9 dbi patch doesn't sound right

I just finished mounting up an 8dbi omni antenna and I only barely saw 1,100ft before my video cut out and that was with me flying sideways. I'm in the same boat as you, I was expecting much better results. I reached 800ft with my stock antennas! I'd also like to hear input from others claiming well over 1,000ft distance with solid connection too.

I've got 1550 solid with a 8 dbi omni
I have a LHCP helical and am getting over 3000 ft

I have an 8dbi Omni on my repeater and I am lucky to get 800ft. Seems the ones getting 2000+ feet live in the country there there is less wifi traffic.

mr_3_0_5 said:
I've got 1550 solid with a 8 dbi omni
I have a LHCP helical and am getting over 3000 ft

Did you have your 8dbi omni antenna laying flat or pointing straight up?

To the OP, sorry I'm not tryin' to threadjack. Is your antenna an omni or a directional? Like you stated before, flying straight away from you could be part of your problem but when I turned sideways I barely saw an improvement.

You need what is called a cloverleaf antenna on both transmitter and receiver. This will improve FVP greatly.

I have both the TP-LINK TL-ANT2408CL 2.4GHz 8dBi Indoor Omni-directional Antenna,and the TP-LINK TL-ANT2409A 2.4GHz 9dBi Directional Antenna. I will say this is over powerlines and over dense woods......I havent really tried an open field or anything........I didnt try flying sideways.I tilted my antenna just shy of vertical when flying and not pointing straight at the sky.

Here is range test with 9db windsurfer. Forgot to hit record on the way out there :(. I got nervous when RC said weak signal :eek: . Video is from RTH was initiated. Still messing around with Adobe Premiere CS6. Did some fading with music and video. P.S. I have no idea why the end of the video is a thumbnail of the end. I selected a shot of the track.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I use the Itelite system with the RE700 and can hit 5000ft no issues and unlike other aerials the flat panel design means it's nicer to look at

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

An omni on a controller is really kind of silly when you think about it. Why would you want to shoot such precious signal strength backwards? For range, you want a directional antenna on your controller to force your signal forward towards your aircraft. And you want to be willing and able to point your antenna's beamwidth carefully and correctly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.