Range test - 1750ft with stock P2V. No MODS

Reaction score
Guys,

For the past few weeks I have been trying to find ways to maximize WIFI distances and understand the system better, with every try I get farther and farther, today was my personal record. I flew my P2V to a small island south of the park I frequently launch my birds from, pretty scary experience as I lost sight of my quad and was just hoping it was still out there. when I reached the most south point and finally my connection was lost my distance was 1,750ft and my altitude was 250ft. All with the stock TX, extender and P2V, no MODS. Pretty impressive!

I will add a link for the video of the short trip, unfortunately i started to record the video when I was half way there but when I pull back to come back home you can see how far I really was and (the best part) I was overwater the whole time!

Because I have been testing distances for quite a while now I do believe I found the sweet spot on this system, here are some tips for those trying to maximize WiFi range and trying to fly far:

-Try not to touch or get your hands anywhere near the extender (this generates interference) Even waiving you hand behind the extender will create interference or disrupt the Wifi signal. so if you are planning to go far put the flat portion of the extender at almost 90 degrees and tilt it slightly up and do not touch it again, instead, tilt your TX up and/or down to make small adjustments.

-If you are planning to fly past the 1000ft mark climb to 250ft or above Wifi loves to bounce (more so over water and reflective surfaces) so altitude is a big help for reception.

-Fly the quad slow (no more than 7mph) Faster speeds will make it harder for the weak Wifi signal to reach the camera.

-If you your connection gets unstable, stop and let it come back (DO NOT TOUCH THE EXTENDER, TILT THE TX INSTEAD)

Here is the link for the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay6CxaOWy_0

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    310.5 KB · Views: 602
You are talking about the FPV connection, not the control signal right? I assume you lose the FPV first but the control can go further?

Sledge said:
You are talking about the FPV connection, not the control signal right? I assume you lose the FPV first but the control can go further?

Correct. The limiting factor on the P2V is the WIFI, the TX has way more range I believe.

amrflyingdude said:
Sledge said:

Correct. The limiting factor on the P2V is the WIFI, the TX has way more range I believe.

So whats the best FPV you have been able to sustain?

Moose

amrflyingdude said:
Sledge said:

Yes I can confirm the TX on the higher power mode in standard config is good for 3500' I have pushed to this a couple of times.. I run a 14dbi patch upgrade for wifi

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20