Range questions

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I wanted to start a new thread and not ask off topic questions on others.

Anyways,

I just purchased the wifi booster app and I didn't notice a major improvement.
Phantom 2 vision plus updated to 3.06 everything stock with iPhone. Running in FCC mode.
I was 450' in altitude and my distance was around 1000' ft before signal was lost and it went into return to home mode.
Should I be expecting more out of it?

I was told that I lost signal from the 5.8 signal and not the 2.4 wifi fpv signal. Kind of makes sense because I could still see the fpv screen on my iPhone.

Now, is this typical to lose signal at this range? I thought the distance would exceed this.

If this is normal, what is my next step to increase range? Someone mentioned to upgrade the 5.8 antenna.

Anyone have a link to whats needed and a DIY instructions? I'm looking for a mod that's relatively simple, Not looking for anything crazy or over the top.

I was hoping to have a range of about 3000 -3500 feet.

Thanks larry

I would hook the craft up to the assistant software and check that it actually is in FCC mode on the software side. There have been reports of the pot being turned clockwise, the TX beeping twice and therefore all indications being that it is FCC, but on the software assistant it shows CE mode. A cheap and quick fix if it is. Worth a try.

Dirty Bird said:
Larry9901 said:
I don't remember, I think it is loss of signal though.

LOS = Line of Sight. Do you have an unobstructed view between the controller and the aircraft.

My bad, lol, I'm not up with all the acronyms.

No obstructions between controller and aircraft. I am in a populated area. I wouldn't say it was heavy populated though.

I was pretty much doing some range testing at my local rc flying field.

Everything checks out when I plug it in to the assistant software. It is in FCC mode
Screw on back of transmitter is turned all the way clockwise.

Wifi extender is pointed towards p2
Transmitter antenna is at about 90 degrees to p2

Am I doing anything wrong to cause my range to be so low in stock form?

Any suggestions to get the range up to about 3000' ish range? Or might there be a underlying problem that should be resolved first?

Any other plug and play antenna options that are proven to work?

Thanks larry

The control transmitter antenna should be near vertical or parallel to the Phantoms two antennas on the legs, not 90 degrees or perpendicular.

In other words don't 'point' the control transmitter antenna at the Phantom but rater straight up and avoid flying directly overhead at great altitudes.

My range before mods was 1000 -1500 depending on conditions. If I had any leafy trees blocking at all then it would drop way off. I had issues flying 400 feet with trees and worse with humidity or damp leaves.

After Stage 2 I have jumped up to 7500' which is not only from the antenna gain but it being easier to point compared to that dipole that comes with the unit. And I have probably learned a little myself about flying that helps.

As others said 1000 might be on low side but could be totally normal based on where you are flying.

rrmccabe said:
My range before mods was 1000 -1500 depending on conditions. If I had any leafy trees blocking at all then it would drop way off. I had issues flying 400 feet with trees and worse with humidity or damp leaves.

After Stage 2 I have jumped up to 7500' which is not only from the antenna gain but it being easier to point compared to that dipole that comes with the unit. And I have probably learned a little myself about flying that helps.

As others said 1000 might be on low side but could be totally normal based on where you are flying.

Thank you! Where can I get this stage 2 mod? And what is all involved?
I'm not afraid to open things up and solder if needed.

Larry

Larry, you can order it from FPVLR.com Just look for stage 2 under the Phantom Vision.

Great product but the website is about impossible to follow and doesn't come with documentation. You can find some of this online. Will be happy to point you in the right direction and help guide you through the process. No soldering is required.

rrmccabe said:
Larry, you can order it from FPVLR.com Just look for stage 2 under the Phantom Vision.

Great product but the website is about impossible to follow and doesn't come with documentation. You can find some of this online. Will be happy to point you in the right direction and help guide you through the process. No soldering is required.

Is there any import tax to pay for the stage 2 kit for uk delivery do you know
Thanks

You will have to ask Tony at FPVLR all the details with that. I am in the US so didn't have to deal with any of that.

rrmccabe said:
Great product but the website is about impossible to follow and doesn't come with documentation.

Have to agree with you there! I don't think I've ever seen a worse commercial web site.

Wouldn't you think they would just make up a series of kits. Something like "Mini Boost" "Moderate Boost" "Extreme Boost" with all the parts pieces and cables plus instructions? Even an expert would have problems getting all the bits and pieces together in one order.

rbhamilton, I agree and there is a lot that could be done easily to help it. I talked to him about this a month ago but they are so busy building antennas I think the site is on the back burner. It actually gets worse as time goes by as they they continually tack on additional products compounding the problem.

For it to be successful you need to educate (non intimidate) the customers. There is no educating on that site :)

Great product though and I am very happy with it.

Well, after getting having a technical conversation over the phone I learned a couple things.

1) when doing my first range test (1000' distance and 450'altitude) I had my rc antenna incorrectly in this direction
9DF130D5-BA46-467A-A2A9-3F6110429A85.jpg

I am going to re range check with the antenna in the correct direction now, as pictured
7ED19D29-CBD2-4E31-BE32-A09B680568A3.jpg

Once I establish the range I'm getting with the correct antenna placement I will order the stage kit antenna kit that will best fit my needs.

Larry

Phanton v2+ newbie said:
rrmccabe said:

Is there any import tax to pay for the stage 2 kit for uk delivery do you know
Thanks

I got my stage 2 kit from fpvlr.com and i live in the UK, i paid no import duty and as Tony said the box was wrapped in brown paper. I was very impressed with how quick the turnaround was as well, delivered to me in about eight days from placing my order! :shock:
The stage 2 kit was easy to fit with the hardest part being stripping the epoxy resin off the stock sma cable inside the transmitter, lots of patience and a very sharp small craft knife is required, the wifi side has no epoxy on the stock connectors so all you need to do is drill two holes in the extender and job is done, a tiny bit of velcro is needed to stick and easily remove the half sphere from the extender. You get the three antennas and the 3 sma cables included, one is even longer for the tx side for a good fit, no need to buy anything further for the pilot side.
In reply to the OP's question, 1000ft standard seems very low from my experience. I was happy with my range being stock as the furthest i go is about 2500ft and stock used to do that everytime, not once have i lost control signal or fpv signal for that matter but i could only have it on the lowest preview as it was laggy sometimes and even froze depending on location.
Since fitting the stage 2 kit i now have the highest preview setting and i have been out to over 3000ft with perfect picture and control, i only turned back as the "distance limit" warning came up as i forgot my geofence was set at 3500ft, it was set at that distance because i figured i'd never go there! I'm not going to try and beat any records because long distance flying is not my thing but what i'm very happy about is the fact that i have a safe and secure strong connection at all times at my distances anyway. Maybe one day i will see what these antennas can really do on the long range flight.
The three antennas easily unscrew from the tx and extender for transportation, everything still fits in my back pack.
My tx with the three antennas fitted.
vs02ll.jpg

Sorry Tony, but everyone I send to your site leaves frustrated.

There needs to be a logical path regardless of the model. Joe customer needs to be able to pick his aircraft and see the options available. He needs to see at a glance the difference between the options. He needs to know if its everything he needs.

I see you answering the same questions over and over on this site. Your website should be doing 95% of this for you.

You have a great product and I really like what I have bought from you.

But, your website still sucks ! I challenge you to find anyone that will say different.

Its impossible to figure anything out. I know that my next step should be a pair of pinwheels for 2.4 and a pair for 5.8 because I have read it on this site. But do you think I can figure out how to buy it on your site?

Not trying to be mean at all here. Just staying the facts !

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers