Range problems with P3A

Reaction score
So I think I've been having issues with poor rang/distance with my P3A.
I've tried finding a true thread as far as what distance(realistic) I can expect to get.
I thought e manufacturer says 3.1 miles.
I read a thread where a guy was getting 5100-5400 as was happy.
That's right about a mile.
I'm lucky to get 1200 or so before I get video signal/transmission lost.
I've tried different spots.urban where I live and rural in GA.where we have a hunting lease.same results.
I can see DJI exaggerate their claims, but. Only 1250 ish.has to be an issue.
Thanks for the time.

So I think I've been having issues with poor rang/distance with my P3A.
I've tried finding a true thread as far as what distance(realistic) I can expect to get.
I thought e manufacturer says 3.1 miles.
I read a thread where a guy was getting 5100-5400 as was happy.
That's right about a mile.
I'm lucky to get 1200 or so before I get video signal/transmission lost.
I've tried different spots.urban where I live and rural in GA.where we have a hunting lease.same results.
I can see DJI exaggerate their claims, but. Only 1250 ish.has to be an issue.
Thanks for the time.
OK to give you a starting point, I have a P3A which is about a year old with software which has not been updated in probably 9 months. It is still just like it came out of the box, no mods, nothing.

I have tried to fly over a Home Depot which is right at a mile away, and can make it without losing signal, but it is getting flaky. This is at 300 feet altitude, and over a dense residential and business/industrial areas. Three miles is dreaming. Two might be do able for one of us out in the country miles away from everything.

Last edited:
So what's the issue with mine?if you had to guess.
You know, I am not really an expert, but from reading these forums a lot, the range variances almost seem to be related to software issues. IE: You will see someone post that after blah blah blah upgrade or firmware revision the range went to hell. Others post that rolling back to xxx or installing new firmware fixed it. I believe all our birds have the same or essentially the same electronics, and the FCC regulates the transmit power, so that mostly only leaves location and firmware. One of the fellows on here was doing some testing the other week of the transmitted power and it was right on the money where the FCC regulated it to.

Get on here and learn how to really use the search function and I'd bet you will find something. That is partly why I refuse to "UPGRADE" anything on mine. If it aint broke, don't fix it. Windows 10 was supposed to be ten times better than Windows XP, right?

OK to give you a starting point, I have a P3A which is about a year old with software which has not been updated in probably 9 months. It is still just like it came out of the box, no mods, nothing.

I have tried to fly over a Home Depot which is right at a mile away, and can make it without losing signal, but it is getting flaky. This is at 300 feet altitude, and over a dense residential and business/industrial areas. Three miles is dreaming. Two might be do able for one of us out in the country miles away from everything.
My drone goes 3 miles...its an error i recently solved.

I went about 3 miles on mine and it was basically a route where nothing gets in the way of signal such as houses, trees, etc.... But in an urban area. No such luck. Nature of the beast

Neon Euc

... if the bird were straight in front of you, your antennas would be straight up and down. One of the moderators on here has a little tutorial about the antennas.
Correctomundo. As the manual says, parallel to the LEGS of the drone. I was wondering if the OP had his antennas oriented correctly. That would cause poor range if he had them pointing at the bird.

HeyDude, another tidbit. As we have described to you about the antennas position, IE: perpendicular to a line drawn from you to your bird, this gets a lot of people in trouble when they send their birds straight up above them and they do not know that this is about the worst situation for signal. Standing in your yard with the bird directly overhead, unless you are lying on your back, your antennas are "pointing" at your bird. 90 degrees off. Hope this helps a little.

This video explains it best:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj