Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Range on Farms

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ovnidrones, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Ovnidrones

First Post....

I am working in Brazil and planning to take pictures of my farm. I know that how many hectacres I can capture depends on how high I am. However, I am trying to get a sense of how long this will take? My farm is 80 square Kilometers (8,000 hectactres).

Can anyone provide some insight or links?

Thank you

2. BaldEagle

3. HarryT

If you're flying at 100m altitude (and it's not a good idea to fly higher than that), realistically you can clearly see about 1km in front of you, so if you rotate the view you'll be at the centre of a circle with a diameter of about 2km.

4. Uncle Meat

80 square kilometers is approximately 30.88 square miles. It's going to take a while to photograph all of that depending on how much detail you need in the photo's.

U.M.

5. BaldEagle

I was looking online to see if there was a calculator to determine planar surface area based on the focal distance of the camera and the height from which the photograph is taken. If there is such a calculator, then knowing the total planar surface area one is interested in photographing can be plugged in and one can determine how to do it (either going up to the calculated height [probably not practical here] or, knowing the maximum allowed height, calculating the number of photos that would be needed.

6. Ovnidrones

Thank you all for the help. This is very insightful...

Uncle Meat. What is "a while". I dont need detail. I am looking for aerial images to show potential buyers

7. npalen

The 140 degree lens on the PV2+ gives about a 5 to 1 ratio of field width to altitude. In other words, a 100 meter altitude should give a 500 meter view.

8. BaldEagle

So, I guess this means that the image obtained by the camera (the horizontal length) is about 500 meters at 100 meter altitude?

9. Buckaye

There's a "Home on the Range" joke in here somewhere... just can't think of one :)

10. gfredrone

lol "farm" that's a small country. I filmed 5,000 acres and it took about 3 days @ 12 full batteries/day flights to get the shots I wanted.

11. Peter Patricelli

Google Earth will give you a better overall view of that "napkin spread" than anything the P can do.