Range mod android app ?

Hi,
I baught Icarus and... it doesn't correctly work for me too contrary to Papatita mod which really works fine...
In fact Icarus works only when i'm at home (when gps is no ready).
When i'm outdoor gps is ready and all settings are erased --> go back to CE 17 dbm (i'm in France)

"When i'm outdoor gps is ready and all settings are erased --> go back to CE 17 dbm "

How did you test that, via the app itself or with a meter or what?

Last edited:
Hi,
I baught Icarus and... it doesn't correctly work for me too contrary to Papatita mod which really works fine...
In fact Icarus works only when i'm at home (when gps is no ready).
When i'm outdoor gps is ready and all settings are erased --> go back to CE 17 dbm (i'm in France)
Don't see how having a certain number of satellites would have anything to do with a patch to a completely different part of the system.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Never tried Papatita's yet, but did try this one first maining because of it being cell phone based I can change it on the fly in the field. Don't own a laptop, and my PC not traveling with me obviously. And I got 2160 meters with a DBS on my first test. RC @ 20, AC @ 24.

Reactions: Biggle
Don't see how having a certain number of satellites would have anything to do with a patch to a completely different part of the system.

It's exactly the same system - the default behavior is to check the location and to then downgrade to a miserable 17 db if in a 'CE' country.

Read topics... -> It's GPS localisation which configure transmitters power (CE or FCC mode for exemple...).
That's the reason why Papatita mod run his script every "x" seconds (to prevent the settings come back to "normal" ). It's not the case with Icarus software and i note in my case the wifi power settings come back to the standard exactly when the GPS is ready ^^.
So , for me Icarus works only when i'm at home/indoor ^^ .If i fly outdoor, when GPS is fixed, power settings come back to CE 17dbm... (i confirm using telnet and doing a real range test...) .

Papatita mod always runs fine (ok via telnet and ok in real range test).

Last edited:
Read topics... -> It's GPS localisation which configure transmitters power (CE or FCC mode for exemple...).
That's the reason why Papatita mod run his script every "x" seconds (to prevent the settings come back to "normal" ). It's not the case with Icarus software and i note in my case the wifi power settings come back to the standard exactly when the GPS is ready ^^.
So , for me Icarus works only when i'm at home/indoor ^^ .If i fly outdoor, when GPS is fixed, power settings come back to CE 17dbm... (i confirm using telnet and doing a real range test...) .

Papatita mod always runs fine (ok via telnet and ok in real range test).
Than how come when I set mine higher than FCC, both RC and AC (I'm in the US) it stays there. It is not returning back to the default settings.

It's exactly the same system - the default behavior is to check the location and to then downgrade to a miserable 17 db if in a 'CE' country.
I see your point. I'll be double checking this today. Because when I set mine higher than FCC, both RC and AC (I'm in the US) it stays there. It is not returning back to the default settings. Only did one test so far, and I don't think it changed back.

Here's what happen today, short test in an urban area. Only went out about 650 meters with these settings. RC @ 23 and AC @ 26. Set them last night and this afternoon they were still the same just before the flight. Now this was in an urban area not like the farm lands as before on the first test. And the results were not as good with the higher setting. The image kept lagging a lot and 650m seemed its limit, but it was a high interference area. Now here's the odd part. I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm. Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to default either (20 dbm FCC). ???

Here's what happen today, short test in an urban area. Only went out about 650 meters with these settings. RC @ 23 and AC @ 26. Set them last night and this afternoon they were still the same just before the flight. Now this was in an urban area not like the farm lands as before on the first test. And the results were not as good with the higher setting. The image kept lagging a lot and 650m seemed its limit, but it was a high interference area. Now here's the odd part. I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm. Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to default either (20 dbm FCC). ???
I just say i'm in France (contrary to you i'm in CE region) and when GPS is ready settings go back to CE 17dbm only when i use Icarus...

Soo...it would seem that the Icarus app does ramp up the dbs. But, the GPS on the AC/RC then dials it back down. Here's what seems to be happening: Use app, take it all the way up to 11 on the volume (some of you will be too young to recognise this, if so Google "Spinal Tap"). Mod appears to have taken place, and we are TxRx on 27dbm. GPS kicks in and says "hang on, you're in a CE area..I have to let the firmware know about that." Firmware then says "Oooo....GPS says you're not in an FCC area, so we need to make sure you have the weakest signal possible.....here you go, 17dbm...." <scowly face>

Here's what happen today, ... I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm. Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to default either (20 dbm FCC). ???

Can I ask how did you check? Via the app itself or some external measurement?

It may be that as Andy_R says, it is only going back and resetting when in a CE area and doesn't do that when in an FCC area. However I have no idea why the 3rd party app has over-ridden your settings to go to the max possible,

Seems like it hasn't done anything to my bird, but for you I think I'd do the 'factory reset' within the app and put it back to normal, as it's been pointed out that 27 db is probably too much for the hardware, which was never designed for that.

I have no idea how to telnet anything, other than using the app itself.

I'll try going in the garden, get GPS lock and then see if the app will run and tell me what the settings are... but just because the app says something doesn't mean I trust it to be real. It will put the issue to bed though, if even the app itself says its gone back to (miserable) 17 db....

Yep, can confirm. Telnet, via the app, said 20 db. Took Fanny outside, waited until it had some sats and 'Safe to fly, gps' came up.. checked again...

Both RC and AC show 17 db.

False hope I'm afraid.

Reactions: Mac_flyfr

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20