Range mod android app ?

Reaction score
Hi ! Happy to be here ! There is plenty of interesting discussions and nice stuff !

Just some advice: I'm going to apply the range mod (have to find a windows pc...) but in the meantime I saw on the google play store an app that claims to do it using the smartphone itself. Does anybody have a clue on that ? It is not for free and after all I don't want to pay to brick my P3 !

Thanks

Hi ! Happy to be here ! There is plenty of interesting discussions and nice stuff !

Just some advice: I'm going to apply the range mod (have to find a windows pc...) but in the meantime I saw on the google play store an app that claims to do it using the smartphone itself. Does anybody have a clue on that ? It is not for free and after all I don't want to pay to brick my P3 !

Thanks
Welcome to the Forum!
Assuming your a new flyer being a new member, keep it stock and take it slow..
Everything is great until you make a mistake.
Super glad your first post is not, I crashed and I don't know why.
:eek:

Rod
:)

Reactions: jeganx
Thank you !

I've done some really nice flights and I'm just happy with my P3S as it is !
A couple of times I used the litchi waypoints and
I was really scared when the video feedback went down...was a bit far but not that much. That's why I'm thinking about increasing the video tx power without buying a booster...
Maybe I'll give that app a try (since I got a promo code ;-) or maybe not (never change something that is working)...

Max

Thank you !

I've done some really nice flights and I'm just happy with my P3S as it is !
A couple of times I used the litchi waypoints and
I was really scared when the video feedback went down...was a bit far but not that much. That's why I'm thinking about increasing the video tx power without buying a booster...
Maybe I'll give that app a try (since I got a promo code ;-) or maybe not (never change something that is working)...

Max
;)

At the end I did it ! Just took a chance and trusted that app....now I'm glad I've done it !
Applied the range mod to my P3S in a few seconds. Also set tx-power at will on RC and aircraft (you can even burn your transmitter setting it to 30 dBm !). Checked with a wifi analyzer, its working...connecting with telnet iwinfo shows the modified value, I do not know how, since the region set is still GB. Anyways, it works...video feedback is much more stable than the RC controls...going to order a booster for the 5.8GHz ! ;-)

It's Icarus for P3S, yellowish icon
Looks to do the same thing as MagicPower 4.0, which is freeware. Thread here: How to Update Tx-Power with DJIUpdate.exe (CE to FCC)
Download here: https://support.google.com/drive/an...visit_id=0-636694477215041969-1719117477&rd=1
But this app does look to have a nicer UI than MagicPower. Just wish there was some reviews, as there is none it must be very new. I'm not into code, so I'm clueless if they go about it the same way or not.

Last edited:
It's Icarus for P3S, yellowish icon
Are you having to run the app at every power up of your equipment? Or is it just once and done, unless you want to change a setting.

The patch itself you do once, reboot and forget. Setting may be changed at will.
As far as I can see they modified somehow the WiFi driver in order to achieve a fixed Tx output level. There is no evidence for loops checking each 10 or 20 seconds if the Tx power went back to CE and resetting it to the BO region code (as the freeware does).
Enabled telnet and done ps on the RC: seems there is no additional process running whatsoever...
Like it.

Untitled-1.jpg

Screen dump from Acrylic WiFi after applying the Icarus patch....this is in the house, with all the local wifi networks, and you can see it overpowers my home network too (yellow trace on channel 6) :)

Reactions: jeganx
View attachment 66234
Screen dump from Acrylic WiFi after applying the Icarus patch....this is in the house, with all the local wifi networks, and you can see it overpowers my home network too (yellow trace on channel 6) :)
What setting do you use above for the RC ?

The same - 27dbm - but it won't have any effect for you, as you're already in FCC mode. This app is really aimed at CE locations
Don't completely agree with that, as FCC mode is at 20dbm, (CE at 16bdm), at least in the Standard. So if the FCC mode people adjust their settings to 24 or 27dbm that's much higher than FCC mode.

Last edited:
Don't completely agree with that, as FCC mode is at 20dbm, (CE at 17bdm). So if the FCC mode people adjust their settings to 24 or 27dbm that's much higher than FCC mode.
Ah...my bad....thought you were already at 27dbm in FCC. 20dbm works out at 100mw, and 27dbm gets you 500mw, so a massive difference (5x). It might just be worth it then :D

Well I was daft enough to try this, and it says "Patch applied!" but when I run the tests on RC and AC the app says they are at 17 db, which is default level?

Well I was daft enough to try this, and it says "Patch applied!" but when I run the tests on RC and AC the app says they are at 17 db, which is default level?
Did you reboot the AC and RC after the patch, and before the checking. Because it worked for me. When I ran the checks, it showed the correct numbers.

I did but it didn't seem to work, however when I rebooted the 2nd time it showed 27 db.

I have just lowered it to 20 db, so making it the same as the normal FCC level (so I've heard?) rather than all the way up to 27, as on another thread someone says that could damage the equipment via overheating or whatever.

That's all I want really, the equipment doing what it does, without artificial restrictions, especially restrictions from Europe when I no longer live in Europe. I'm about to find a shirt and go test it..

Didn't do a proper range test, as it seems Samsung phones cannot work properly with DJI products.

I feel like just giving up at this point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl