Range issues

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Would really appreciate some opinion!
Got my Phantom 3 Standard and by all accounts it's awesome.
However! I get a great range in open areas (1000ft+) but in a built up area it's losing video downlink feed at 100ft up and out - frustrating!
I was hoping for somewhat better.
Any advice?!
Cheers!
Mark

I'm UK so I know CE will limit me somewhat but the difference between rural and urban areas is huge. Thanks again!

I'm UK so I know CE will limit me somewhat but the difference between rural and urban areas is huge. Thanks again!
Do some searching there is a lot out there about it I am considering buying another controller to see if it makes a difference I get 700m on the farm if I'm lucky with a DBS booster

Do some searching there is a lot out there about it I am considering buying another controller to see if it makes a difference I get 700m on the farm if I'm lucky with a DBS booster

Have read so much about range it's consuming me! In the countryside it's great but I don't know if I want to settle for such a poor range urban. I've seen videos showing a much better range than I'm getting in a similarly built up area so I'm a bit disappointed.

Cheers Tony. How built up is the area and what were you getting stock before that? I'd be happy getting the DBS upgrade and that range!

Farm land trees, power lines, suburban area wifi congested area... not horrible

Stock about a mile, mile, and a half.

You
Farm land trees, power lines, suburban area wifi congested area... not horrible

Stock about a mile, mile, and a half.
You got a mile or more with a standard with 100% stock setup??

Hopefully this gives a picture of the area I was operating within.
Am I hoping for too much with the P3S?
In comparison I've had a great range within a small village.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 295
From what I have read it seems like a quality control problem .There appears to be good ones and bad ones but no real consensus on what the problem is .Some say a degree of shorting could be happening where the antenna nipple attaches to the transmitter board others think it could be the bird itself I have just replaced the three pigtail cables that push on the board to see if that makes any difference .I don't think it will though.I was only getting 280m stock in a very open area.

In my back garden with other WI-FI networks I struggle to get 100m and the video drops out a lot. In an open space I was able to get it to 600m and could still go further. (CE Mode Also)

Take the fact that you get a shorter range in congested areas as a warning. You are not supposed to be flying your drone within 50m of another building or person.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was able to get 900m stock antenna.. Ce mode

Cheers, gives me hope!
What sort of area was it? I think my main issue is flying in an area saturated with wifi and it's always the video downlink that drops off first.

Take the fact that you get a shorter range in congested areas as a warning. You are not supposed to be flying your drone within 50m of another building or person.

Yawn what is the point of this reply lol

0f6e9f0f2896a699eb8c5514787829d5.jpg
Installed the DBS mod a couple of days ago. Got 2 miles range before the video crapped out in a fairy populated area. I used to only be able to get around 1000 meters. Needless to say, I am impressed.

Also you lose video if you fly along side other rc pilots due to the 2.4ghz interference which is also used for WiFi
Huh
Was flying both of these .One is a Standard and other is P2V .Was not an issue .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20