Range is more about interference

Reaction score
So, I live in NJ and regularly fly about 5,000 feet away before interference starts to creep in. To get farther, I need to exceed the 400 ft limit.

I was in Phoenix this week and took the bird for a few spins. Got out to 11,000 feet (personal best) easily at altitudes below the limit. I only use a windsurfer and am pleased with these numbers.

This leads me to believe range is more affected by interference from the ground than anything else. Densely populated areas = limited range, period.

****, these things are fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: PinnacleRun
So, I live in NJ and regularly fly about 5,000 feet away before interference starts to creep in. To get farther, I need to exceed the 400 ft limit.

I was in phoenix this week and took the bird for a few spins. Got out to 11,000 feet (personal best) easily at altitudes below the limit. I only use a windsurfer and am pleased with these numbers.

This leads me to believe range is more affected by interference from the ground than anything else. Densely populated areas = limited range, period.

****, these things are fun!

JH, where in jersey,
I live in butter nj, r u close,
i have complete set up all mods installed.
so far I got out 13,000 tops.
Kevin

Marlton, near cherry Hill

okay I live in northern New Jersey up on a mountain overlook a large valley that's mainly why I get good reception also I have all the mods, battery mod , antenna mod and Side amp mod......
do you have any mods

Yes assuming same conditions concerning lack of obstructions between controller and aircraft interference is most likely the major limting factor, or more precisely reduced signal to noise ratio. I can say that propogation over water can be significantly enganced in HF and UHF bands but dont know how this applies to 2.4ghz. I seem to get better signal over the ocean but suspect this might be due to being further away from interference.

Reactions: JickMagger
Yea man. Great observation.

From the point of [RF] reception, which is in the analog domain, it's all about SNR or 'signal to noise ratio'.
In this case specifically it comes down to BER, or 'bit error rate', in the digital domain which is the SNR equivalent.

This is an oversimplification to make a point as other factors will effect BER such as data rate, modulation, bandwidth, etc.

The amped Txs and directional antennas all improve this.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie