Range Extenders. Which one is REALLY reliable?

Reaction score
I've been looking at the ARGTek/Blueproton range extenders for my P3S with great interest and videos on YouTube all seem to back up the claims but then on the forums and some of the reviews people complain of lowered or very little increase in range when others can get double and near triple stock antenna range. I hear that windsurfer and reflector mods like it only give like a 9% increase in signal range while the ARGTek not only doubles the range but allows the FPV to be smooth as well at range.

I don't want to drill into my remote so things like the DBS are to be avoided unless it's absolutely the only working thing

What are the general feelings towards the ARGTek because it seems to be a best seller on amazon and eBay and most seem to like it but like 1/3 of the reviews and not all that positive and it's worrying me if It's worth it

I almost wonder if it's competing companies saying they dislike it and recommending their own products

Last edited:
You will find a lot of quick answers by using the search function, as most topics have been discussed before. The search icon is located in the upper right corner.

You'll also get an answer quicker if you post a new thread in the forum that's associated with your aircraft. In your case, you have a P3S so you'd want to post in the Phantom 3 Standard forum.

Argtek is a mediocre antenna. I personally would not waste my time with it.

Welcome to the site!

You will find a lot of quick answers by using the search function, as most topics have been discussed before. The search icon is located in the upper right corner.

You'll also get an answer quicker if you post a new thread in the forum that's associated with your aircraft. In your case, you have a P3S so you'd want to post in the Phantom 3 Standard forum.

Argtek is a mediocre antenna. I personally would not waste my time with it.

Welcome to the site!

You'll have to excuse if I put this In the wrong section I'm still learning to use the app and I thought I selected the P3 section

Edit: ohhhhh ok note to self don't use the bookmarks in the app. Navigate to the correct section

Last edited:
I have the ARGtek and I'm very happy with it. I've gone 4000m with no lose of video or controls. In wifi congested areas I can get out 1200m-1600m. If you don't want to drill into your RC than the ARGtek would be the way to go I think.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

It seems it's very hit or miss with people and that worries me because would I rather spend 70 dollars on something I assume would work or 100 dollars on something I know works but I have to drill into my RC and worry about making the holes too big or cracking the clamshell etc

Also if something happens you won't be able to send back an RC with holes in it for warranty. If you have the ARGtek you can put it back to factory and send it back.

Also if something happens you won't be able to send back an RC with holes in it for warranty. If you have the ARGtek you can put it back to factory and send it back.

That's one thing I like about it too, but I am unsure why many seem to claim the ARGTek is trash. Could it be pilot error? Incorrect installation? Misaligned antenna?

Maybe there is a quality control issue within ARGTek?

I want to snatch one up off amazon but I do not know how reliable it is because I guess lots of knockoffs exist

Well to be honest I think I ended up with a knockoff ARGtek as my panel antennas are black and by my research ARGtek don't sell them with black antennas.
With my setup I have no issues at all. I haven't seen any tests from anyone showing a defective kit from ARGtek so I would guess and say pilot error. A quick and easy continuity test would show any breaks in the wires and if none are present then it's not defective but install or pilot error.

I only paid $60 Canadian with shipping for mine from eBay.

I'm basically looking for something that's gonna keep my FPV crystal clear (it's how I see where I'm going) and keep me in control of my Drone at superior ranges, I never use RTH though. This is because while I've never heard of a DJI drone just up and running off with its home position set in one spot I use "hunters safety logic" with my failsafe mode

Much like the safety switch on a gun It's a safety feature that CAN fail. Ergo if I can keep control of my bird and use as little automation as possible I can adjust for things that RTH wouldn't.

I prefer to land the bird myself and bring it back home myself. I never let the battery drop below 30% unless I physically cannot help it (when at range and already en route to bringing it home)

I want to buy right from BlueProton but they are currently sold out and I have no clue if and when more are coming

Get the magic power mod to boost your fpv video signal and with an extender and you'll be laughing. That's what I have and never ever lose video signal before controls. And yes to make sure you get a legit one, I would wait for them to restock as there's too many fake ones out there.

I had pretty good luck with the ArgTek. I got just over 6000 feet, but then I start to get behind tree due to angle.

I changed to the DBS to see if that was better, and so far it hasn't gotten much more distance, but I haven't had a chance to test in an area without lines of tree that would be in the way as you get out to more extreme distances.

My case does accommodate the DBS without removing it, the Argtek I need to remove the antennas every time.

I've had excellent luck with the argtek my max range is a little over 10000ft.as to the question why some have a bad experience I can't answer that my install was simple and done in less than 15 minutes so unless someone really screwed the Rc up inside I'm not sure how a bad install could be the issue.just be sure to get the blue proton extender and if you have issues with it they will stand behind it.

I hear that windsurfer and reflector mods like it only give like a 9% increase in signal range...
Well I don't have any of the others but just a cheaper windsurfer clone that uses an aluminum reflector instead of copper. And it gives me 15 to 20% more range on control (I live out in the country). Doesn't do anything for the video (but we knew that). Yeah that isn't much improvement, but better than stock. And I was shocked on how not very directional the reflector is. As you only loose about 20% of the range facing it the opposite way.

I decided to try the reflector first since it was like 4 bucks. Then I was going to try the other options. But then I also got Litchi and tried out its waypoints. Now I don't know if I care to get more range than FCC 1000m. As when I fly for enjoyment, 1000m is just fine. Although when I fly to explore, there is nothing wrong with planning missions and sending your aircraft out on a mission taking video and pictures. Unless of course, one day it never comes back. :eek:

Yeah the issue is I'm not looking for just range as I fly mostly FPV and I need to see where I'm flying so a windsurfer won't help me there lol

You can mod the 2.4 transmitter antenna leads and bring them outside. Then mount a basic (like the 5.8) antenna (aka rubber ducky) and attach the windsurfer to those.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20