range extender

Reaction score
does anyone know about range extenders and if so whats the best ones to buy....also does flying in atti extend your range..i would take off in p-gps first of course.thnks

DBS mod. Atti mode won't extend your range. You can get either the ITElite standard antenna or the MAXX antenna. The max antenna is huge though. I used the standard ITElite antenna and the battery is the limiting factor there. You only need a stronger antenna or boosters if you have trees and such interfering.

Here's a link to the standard antenna for Phantom 3 pro/adv:

ITELITE - DJI Range Booster ITE-DBS02.2

Alternatively you can look around for a used one and save some money.

Unquestionably. I was getting about 2-3 miles stock. After installing the antenna I was able to go 4 miles line of sight consistently. The furthest I was able to go was 5 miles, limited by battery. there aren't many trees where I live so can't comment on penetration, other than it won't help if you go behind a building or mountain.

im getting only a mile and a half with stock...would getting more channels help...someone told me theres away to get more channels...is tht true

It might help. It didn't really help me. Depends on how much interference is in your area. Just search for the 32 channel mode unlock.

Does cell coverage have anything to do with it? I've been scoping out marine maps and overlaying them with cell coverage maps for drone fishing - I note the big area differences with 2, 3, 4G wouldn't this have a big impact when you're flying in and out of good cell coverage?

Excuse the lack of understanding on my part, but a serious question I thought this would be a good thing to check before drone fishing so I wonder if cell coverage for the wifi is a biggie?

i managed to get the 32 channel working..man i had a good flight going from 7220 feet yesterday to 10265 feet today..i only turned around because i wasnt sure if something would happen to my bird...all through the flight all i got was transmission weak..if i lost the signal the longest i lost ot was 1.4 second..thing is i had 300 foot bushes to fly over and everything went just fine...thnks to spikeanoid for telling me to do the search

Not sure I understand your question, Rott. Phantom 3 adv/pro doesn't need wifi to to fly. The Phantom remote broadcasts the Lightbridge signal on the 2.4xGhz frequency range, which is the same frequency range as wifi. However, this is not a wifi network. You only need wifi to cache maps to your device, not to fly your drone. Your remote takes care of the connection to your drone and sends the live view to your phone/tablet via USB cord. Wifi hotspots and cellular connections will have no effect on your drone's control range (although heavily congested areas with lots of wifi access points may hinder your control range). Hope this clears things up for you.

Reactions: niteliter
Ah, now I get it. Sorry mate I thought that the drones only flew within cell phone coverage (shows how amateur I am!) which may sound silly but it had me for a while. Seems I must have read & understood it all wrong. That's a good thing though, now it eliminates for me going off on a tangent that drone to controller connection is the service providers fault. Now I can look into other options.

Thanks heaps for that.

the website shows pictures of what the setup looks like.then theres the choice of clean install for extra money...funny thing is the photos look like the setup goes through the old entena ports whats thedifferance of the clean install...any input would b aprecciated

Last edited:
Clean install uses 3D plastic printed pieces to use the existing holes. You can't use the existing holes without some sort of piece to hold the wires in place, otherwise they'll just flop around. It's pretty easy to install all of this, save the $$ and do it yourself. There's lots of helpful youtube vids.

spikeanoid...after i do the mod is there anything else i have to do .ex..sinc the remote to the aircraft?let me know..the mod parts are arriving tommorow..thnks in advance

No, just be sure not to power on the remote without the antennas attached or you'll burn out the amplifier in the remote. You don't need to rebind or anything after installing the new antennas.

i've ordered a "blueProton" fr argTek ...
i'm more interested in signal strength than distance
i'll let U know how things work out

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.