Range Extender

Reaction score
Thank you all for the feedback. I ended up going with a Hawking HWREN 1 with a 12v 3000mah battery pack.

Another update: I had also ordered an Alpha 7dbi directional panel antenna. Got to do a test run today and got some good distance...not sure exactly how much but a heck of a lot more than before. I'll post video later.

Molokai said:
Another update: I had also ordered an Alpha 7dbi directional panel antenna. Got to do a test run today and got some good distance...not sure exactly how much but a heck of a lot more than before. I'll post video later.

:cool: Dude, I'm on the edge of my seat. Whatcha come up with? :cool:

IflyinWY said:
Molokai said:

:cool: Dude, I'm on the edge of my seat. Whatcha come up with? :cool:

So I'm still working on the video, but I used google maps to estimate my distance. I got a little over 1,300 feet and I'm sure it was not my max (I chickened out on going farther lol).

The sphincter factor goes up exponentially when you can barely see it. :shock:

I love being able to flip a switch, pull a lever and, after a minute, see that it is coming back. :D

Keep testing, keep posting, I'm still eagerly awaiting your results.

Any chance you make it over to the big island, go to the highest road in Ocean View and do some flight time testing there?

I wanna know how your high altitude flights compare with my everyday flights. Be sure to take video, that will be awesome. :cool:

I know this is late: but here's my extender setup.

Also, here's how my Phantom is setup (don't mind the blurriness):

I have a similar setup, but I do not use it much because you can get long range by simply modifying the Kindle itself.

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 424
With just the alpha antenna alone on the Kindle I am getting out to 490+ meters before I get cutouts of the video. With that said, I keep it in 480 flying with this setup.

With the Amped wireless and 14 DBI antenna, I am getting out to 600+ meters. I put the setup in the pic on top of the car usually to get it higher and it seems to extend the range than if it was on the ground. I was planning to buy a booster to put between the antenna and Amped wireless to see what I get or between the Kindle and alpha. That setup will need an attenuator also I think I hav to research it.

So how simple is it really to extend the range? For example..

Lets say I bought this, how would it work with the camera and DJI app?

(Also what's the cost likely to be for everything needed to extend the range)

My setup cost me only $50. Hawking HWREN 1 - $27 (used), 12V 3000mah DC battery pack - $15, and 7dbi Alfa Directional Antenna - $8.

You just set up the HWREN 1 to repeat the signal from the camera, rename the repeater something like "FC40_Extender", connect your phone/tablet to it, and open the app! As I have found out though, iPhone 4/4s may or may not play well with these setups (my iPhone 4 won't work but my old 3GS will).

hi guys I have been having a read through this
page and I am very intrested in extending the wifi range
of my fc40 can these wifi extenders run off a lipo battery?
what is the power source for out side?
when I am out am not to far from the car usually
but I do want to take my fc40 up the highlands
next summer :D

I have a Hawking hwren2 and a 3800mah 12v rechargeable pack. I set up the repeater to be named just like the camera except I changed the last digit so I can tell the camera apart from the repeater with the app. Once setup it works very well. Spent about 50$ on the repeater and 20$ on the battery.

I tried different wifi extenders and sent them back again because my FC40 camera/app refuses to connect.
Never got it to work with iPhone or android.

Any hidden feature or setting that I missed? I'm sure I set it up the right way. Is my Camera screwed?
I would like to solve this issue. 100m is way too short distance for me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers