Range Extender upgrade - ugh

Chris, I wish I knew what I did other than try to be polite and kind. I opened a ticket and then they sent me an email (which I have uploaded)... you can see what I said and how I said it... they responded as shown, so I packed it up. I had to ask a few clarifying questions (such as should I send the remote also? they said yes) but that was pretty much it. While the drone was gone, I didn't get great communication from them. They acknowledge receipt, and I checked with them via email on the status at one point and they said it was being diagnosed. A few days later I got a message saying my drone was being shipped and got a tracking number. It came on the date provided and when I opened it, it was a Phantom 3 Standard. Along the way I was nervous that they might hit me up with a repair bill - I'm not sure what I would have done if they had. But they ended up treating me very well despite my fears that I could get screwed.

Attachments

• chat.pdf
    192.5 KB · Views: 505
I did basically the same thing and they sent me an invoice they are asking me to pay for $200. I have been nothing but polite and curteous in my responses and have explained the situation as clearly as I can. My last message to them was to ask to escalate the matter as I'm not paying for something that DJI broke with a software update. I haven't heard back as of yet.

Chris, I had see this thread while waiting to hear back about mine, and it scared the crap out of me. I got an invoice as well. They tried to make me pay for a battery, saying the one i sent in was damaged. I had it in the craft and it was only 6 months old. I keep everything in a pelican case otherwise at home so i didn't see what would have been the problem with that battery. Anyway. I spoke to a couple of people and got some kind of run around type answers such as, well we can't directly contact the repair center, or we'll have to get back to you on that seemed to be the overall theme during the entire process. I was polite, but definitely frustrated. Like you and everyone else i had no fault in this failure, and saw them to be very dismissive of this almost to the point of not caring. BUT>>> someone there must have cared, because they out of nowhere, at least 4 weeks of silence, emailed me a new invoice for only return shipping costs of $13.00. When i paid it was then another 2 weeks >> also radio silence>> no emails no update to the ticket or repair order, and then again unexpectedly i got a UPS tracking ID. Well it showed up yesterday and at first it looked like my craft with a new battery and camera, but no- they took my top shell and placed it on a completely new P2V. I would have loved to have had a P3, but hell this is fine by me. All works fine. I appreciate them doing this, because honestly, technically it was out of warranty by a long-shot, and I'm happy with the outcome. It really does suck that they couldn't just come right out to say that they know what they did was on their end, but oh well i got my phantom back so I'm happy. i hope it works out for you.

I didn't do anything special. I noticed on this thread (and others) that everyone was ticked off (threatening lawsuits and such) and knew I'd get nowhere if I took an adversarial approach. So I simply reported to "DJI Support" that I had a problem that I thought was linked to the automatic upgrade of either the range extender or the app... and asked them what to do. They instructed me to send my remote and drone to them and they would determine the problem. Since it was "bricked", I determined there was little risk and wondered it they would assess the problem and tell me the cost to fix it. Then I'd have a choice of whether to pay up or not. However, after a few weeks I got notice that they were sending a package back to me and assumed they had fixed my drone and were sending it back. Instead, I received a brand-new Phantom 3 Standard in the box.

Just an update. I did call customer service and kindly and politely explained my issue. I did also bring up the fact that I had read online that quite a few other P2V users were experiencing this issue. Got an RMA, sent it back last Wednesday, they received it yesterday. My status was updated today that it would be "repaired free of charge." So we'll have to see if they actually repair my unit or send me a replacement. I purchased it from Amazon on August 12th, so technically my warranty was just out, so I'm gonna take this as a sign that they are aware there is a problem with the update and FPV.

So I emailed back and forth with no progress so I decided to call in and was pleasantly surprised by the response I received. They ended up fixing my P2V free of charge! I've already received my fixed P2V and have flown it with no problems.

I didn't use it often but it's nice to know it's working again for when I want to use it in the future. A little bit of a problem but at the end of the day DJI fixed it for free so I guess I can't complain too much... :)

After you send in your unit and they receive it I recommend calling them instead of corresponding through email if you are not getting what you want. Good luck all.

So final update. Received my package today. They actually sent me another Phantom 2 Vision, however, this one appears to be an older hardware model as it has the externally mounted compass whereas my original one had the internally mounted type. The phantom does function though, so that is good.

Overall DJI did hold up their end of the deal by replacing my drone, but I am slightly dissatisfied at the older hardware module.

This one is most likely going to Craigslist as I am looking to upgrade anyways.

I sent mine in and it's going to cost $158.00, that's not to bad though I would like to know what took out the Phantom nude 2 relay moduales. Is this what they said was wrong with the ones you guys have? Anyway, can't wait to get mine back.

That's exactly what mine said, that it was the Nude 2 relay. However, my repair was free, but I was right at the end of my warranty. By the time I called it had just gone out, but they still repaired it for free. And by repair I mean they sent me a replacement P2V.

My guess is, if DJI did do right by benbell and send him a new P3, they don't want that spread around. Can you imagine how many new P3's they'd have to ship out if everyone who has upgraded their software and bricked their birds sent theirs in as well? Heck, I'd upgrade my software (for the first time in years!) and pray for a bricking! ;)

I contacted DJI today because I bought a Phantom 2 Vision from a 3rd party and the camera was already messed up. Support guided me to here:

DJI to Offer “P2 Care Plan” for Certain U.S. Phantom 2 Series Users.

they said I had to fill out the survey and they would fix the drone.

If anyone else has used the DJI Care plan, let us know if it helped.

Did you ever get a response from DJI using that survey? I filled one out Thursday and haven’t heard anything

I contacted DJI today because I bought a Phantom 2 Vision from a 3rd party and the camera was already messed up. Support guided me to here:

DJI to Offer “P2 Care Plan” for Certain U.S. Phantom 2 Series Users.

they said I had to fill out the survey and they would fix the drone.

If anyone else has used the DJI Care plan, let us know if it helped.

I sent my P2V to DJI repair in Cerritos, also via the P2 Care Plan, and got back an invoice for $138 to repair things that I thought had nothing to do with the "black screen" problem. I had not done the "update" for about a year beforehand. I went ahead and paid the $138, now I am haggling with DJI in China via email about getting my P2V back from repairs. Why, you ask, am I pouring $138 into an old Phantom? Because it lacks the geofencing that otherwise prevents me from flying my newer DJI Phantom near a Class C airport (with ATC notification of course) to take photographs for a construction project.

(UPDATE) A month later after I sent it to DJI-Cerritos, DJI shipped my P2V back to me, and it works!! It flies just beautifully again, and I'm a happy camper/pilot again.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTommy
Dang I’m sorry to hear they charge so much for a board in the camera

Dang is right! I could have put that $138 toward a new Mavic Air.
Labor is $65. The remainder is for three other parts, including a new shell, which I maintain isn't needed. Maybe they busted it while opening up the AC. I got a message yesterday that DJI has received my $138 but the repair shop is awaiting replacement parts. I guess they will ship it to me when it is done.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj