Range extender mod (custom PVC mount)

Reaction score
I've been reading this forum for about a month now without posting anything so I figured it's time to contribute something.

I decided to upgrade my controller antenna along with the wifi range extender.

Link to photos http://postimg.org/gallery/7lxmjv7w/

I'm lucky enough to have a Frys electronics a few miles from my house. I was able to get everything I needed at Frys and Home Depot besides the UFL to SMA adaptor. (which I ordered through Amazon same day delivery :D )

Frys list

I used the TPlink TL-ANT2409A 9 dBi flat directional antenna. $22.00
Also picked up the following...

Two 8 dBi TP link screw on antennas. $7.99 each

One TP-Link ANT151 5 dBi antenna. $14.99

Strangely the 5 dBi was more expensive.

One Hawking 7 foot High-Gain SMA extension cable. $8.99

From Home Depot
1 1/2 inch PVC cross $3.49
1 inch PVC Tee $2.40
1 inch x 10 foot PVC $4.25
Two 3/8 x 1 inch hex bolts with washer and nut .28 cents each
Four 24" pre cut 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe sections

I attached the PVC tee to the cross via the two 3/8 inch bolts. I cut down the ten foot section to about 6 feet. ( fits in back of my truck that way)

Predrilled holes with drill press, also drilled a hole in the top of the 6 foot PVC section to run the SMA cable through. This setup allows you to mount the TP-link antenna on a pole while remaining quite portable. I plan to add a PVC coupling so I can add additional height if needed. The 24" inch PVC base legs give it great stability. After doing the antenna mod on the range extender I drilled a hole in the casing for the SMA connector. This gives me the option to use one of the 8 dBi antennas or to connect the flat panel antenna.
Link to photo gallery. http://postimg.org/gallery/7lxmjv7w/

I usually setup my base operation from the back of my truck / tailgate. This option fits perfect in my tuck bed. Would love to get some feed back and or comments / suggestions.

First of all, let me commend you on thinking out of the box, it moves this hobby forward.....however....

It appears you've installed a 2G4 antenna on the TX, which emits a 5G8 signal....simple exchange there...second, does your flat panel mount tilt? You'll need some attitude adjustment there for longer distance flights....

Good work!

After doing some reading, I'm going to install a clover leaf on the tx and phantom rx.

It does tilt, but not quite enough. I think I'm going to install another PVC fitting on the top of my pole that can be twisted 360 degrees, maybe two tees. I will update the thread once I figure something out.

To make sure i'm understanding you correctly, are you saying to add an identical antenna on the other antenna connection on range extender board?

Demo_drone said:
To make sure i'm understanding you correctly, are you saying to add an identical antenna on the other antenna connection on range extender board?

Exactly. The repeater uses 2 antennae....add the other sma port to it and send the signal to another flat panel, one mounted with horizontal polarity and one mounted with vertical polarity to maximize dispersion....

EDIT:

From DBS's Game Changer thread..... you will see how his mini handheld array uses the 2 2G4 antennae from the repeater placed on either side of a 5G8 antenna...you are following the same process but on a larger scale...Good Luck!

Attachments

• DBS mini.jpg
    DBS mini.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 835
Update:

So I ran and picked up another TP-Link flat panel antenna today. I got lazy and decided not to take the board out of the range extender housing. BAD IDEA! Drill bit nicked the board, despite using a drill press and now my board is fried. Looks like I will be ordering a new WIFI Range Extender.

Also grabbed some 5.8 ghz ultra blue antennas for the quad and the transmitter.

Attachments

• 01cae6285deffe51c03aa91b2809c9239a5fbc6b28.jpg
    01cae6285deffe51c03aa91b2809c9239a5fbc6b28.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 546
Ouch...that's gonna leave a mark...on your wallet.... But pushing the envelope comes at a cost, ask me how I know... :mrgreen:

The specs on that flat panel show vertical polarization so you're going to want to mount the second panel at a 90 degree angle...try and keep the pole as a centerpoint for both...

You can also find flat panels that integrate vertical and horizontal antenna in one enclosure with 2 SMA connectors....here's a pic of the mid range array I built this weekend...that bottom enclosure houses 2 14dbi 2G4 with separate connectors...

Attachments

• Midi5.JPG
    Midi5.JPG
    424.1 KB · Views: 609
This is a cool setup :ugeek: ... sorry to hear about that drill bit mishap... I know how that one feels (big time)

I've thought about making some sort of stand to put my gear on like this... The repeater and 2.4Ghz antennas can come off the control unit and have their own home like this... but the 5.8Ghz is still stuck with us on our transmitter :(

You know what we really need .... a 5.8Ghz repeater that would take the whole setup to the pole and leave the transmitter naked and free ... you could sit in your car on a hot summers day with the air conditioner running and still go out and do a long range recon mission :ugeek: (same as the opposite situation in the wintertime ... *warm hands* )

Would it not be easier to use a portable camera tripod that has the extension and tilt capability already built in.. and just build off the main camera mount? Perhaps there are advantages to your setup but just thought I would throw that out there as I'm curious as to what the trade offs would be... and adding a scope to that setup is brilliant!

DBS said:
This is a cool setup :ugeek: ... sorry to hear about that drill bit mishap... I know how that one feels (big time)

I've thought about making some sort of stand to put my gear on like this... The repeater and 2.4Ghz antennas can come off the control unit and have their own home like this... but the 5.8Ghz is still stuck with us on our transmitter :(

You know what we really need .... a 5.8Ghz repeater that would take the whole setup to the pole and leave the transmitter naked and free ... you could sit in your car on a hot summers day with the air conditioner running and still go out and do a long range recon mission :ugeek: (same as the opposite situation in the wintertime ... *warm hands* )

He's got 7 feet of cable...just slip em in over the top of your window....and no sun glare on the phone/tablet.... :mrgreen:

I wonder what the loss is on that 7 feet.... :?:

I thought about using the camera tripod. I will play with a few different set-up's this week while I'm waiting for a new RE700. I like the PVC because I can add any number or connectors, tees, crosses, etc for mounting different items. I've wondered about the signal loss on the 7ft as well, no way to test right now :cry: ...

Haha, I love the scope idea DIRTYBIRD.

DBS, I've also thought about the 5.8 ghz, seems dangerous if something goes wrong though.

After breaking this RE700 i've been thinking of all kinds of different possibilities . It would be VERY nice to have a third party range extender instead of having to use the RE700. I'm sure there are posts regarding this and I think I read or watched a youtube of a guy doing it with the older RE500?

Demo_drone said:
DBS, I've also thought about the 5.8 ghz, seems dangerous if something goes wrong though.

It doesn't exist anyway... Our 5.8 is a radio frequency... The repeaters available out there for 5.8 are all wifi... so the wouldn't connect and establish any viable link with our equipment anyway... I was just daydreaming :)

Bwahahahahaha.....

These amplifier products are available only for export, military, licensed amateur radio and OEM component sales and are not offered for general sale within the USA.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20