Range extender -- incredible!

A few recent flight with NO range extender, once I get mine Ill report back here and see how it does..

ScreenShot006.jpg
ScreenShot009.jpg
ScreenShot010.jpg
ScreenShot011.jpg
ScreenShot007.jpg
ScreenShot008.jpg

Reactions: david wettlaufer
All, brought my ranger extender from manufacturer in UK for £20 pounds. Can now fly further than 4 miles (21,000ft).

The main difference in my experience with this equipment compared to the more expensive mods is that mine only increases distance with line of sight. Great bit of tech though and only came home due to being on the limit with the battery.
What range extender did you purchase? Link? Thanks in advance!

What a great place to fly! Great Pictures. I think your going to be Quite Pleased when you use my windsurfer :) Just watch the wind direction and Battery life when you do. Cant wait to see more!
Im getting very good range now with out it... Cant wait to see how I do with the range extender. The 2nd flight pic I posted at 8259' away got a little rough lol. Lost Light Bridge then lost Controller signal then it came back after I played with the antenna's a bit I got lucky & brought it home.. I thought it was supposed to RTH when all signal was lost.. Didn't do that for me that day! LOL

I'm wondering if I should try this to increase the gain of the live feed signal antenna when flying around allot of pine trees? I think I'm getting reduced bit rates due to signal attenuation resulting in lots of visible compression artifacts and block/blurry areas around trees and grass when I view the feed in the Headplays via HDMI out. Maybe it would help gain a few dbi, enough to let the bit rate go up...

I wonder what happened to the 22 minute flight time stated by DJI. Most I got I think was 18mins

Great question! :) I'm not convinced with DJI's recommendations on their battery maintenance and/or flight times. First, I can echo your findings that the most I've got was also 18 mins... and this was really pushing it. Second, DJI recommends cycling your battery down to 8% every 20 charges to "exercise" the cells. I've read a couple of instances where individuals have damaged their battery as a result of following these recommendations.... and understandably so... dropping a LiPo battery to 8% (as requested by DJI) is asking for the battery to be damaged. Liked your coment! :)

DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3 | DJI Phantom Forum

Search this thread. A lot of info about range extenders aka wind surfers aka range boosters.

I made one with foil and two used manilla file folders. I just wanted to test before I bought anything. I have a great place to test as my backyard abuts a hug swamp to the north. My homemade attempt (despite the goofy appearance of the windsurfer) actually worked. And-it worked quite well. Enough so that I'm searching eBay for something that will be a bit sturdier and I can pack and take when I travel as I'm sure my file folder and Reynolds Wrap antenna will collapse in the luggage.​

I made one with foil and two used manilla file folders. I just wanted to test before I bought anything. I have a great place to test as my backyard abuts a hug swamp to the north. My homemade attempt (despite the goofy appearance of the windsurfer) actually worked. And-it worked quite well. Enough so that I'm searching eBay for something that will be a bit sturdier and I can pack and take when I travel as I'm sure my file folder and Reynolds Wrap antenna will collapse in the luggage.​

I upgraded to 32 channels yesterday. I was flying in my backyard over the swamp yesterday. I took the P3 on a straight course at 350 AGL. I started getting some LOS at about 4,000 feet. I circled the area for about 10 seconds to confirm LOS. I was receiving intermittent (1/4 sec or less) LOS as I completed a tight slow turn about a point.

I slipped my homemade manilla foil bunny ears onto my remote. I resumed the same course and I made it out to 7,500 (on the same course and altitude) without a single second of LOS. I didn't continue to see how far out I could go (still recovering from my last flight into some branches).

They look silly as hell--but they work. I'm waiting on delivery of my "professional" set...

Attachments

• IMG_6664.png
    IMG_6664.png
    711.4 KB · Views: 410
I started getting some LOS at about 4,000 feet. I circled the area for about 10 seconds to confirm LOS. I was receiving intermittent (1/4 sec or less) LOS as I completed a tight slow turn about a point.

I get what you mean by LOS but generally I think people use that to mean line of sight rather than loss of signal. Hope that doesn't come off as rude.

Yes Lotusteve I do ship to the UK. :)

Dynamic 3D Solutions
David. Been reading about your windsurfers and will be ordering tonight. I see on your sight you have 3 different models for the phantom3. Which do you recommend? I'm not considering the one that mounts to the controller, just the two that slip over the antennas. It looks like they are the same except one allows the antenna to be moved apart while the other is one piece and keeps the antenna parallel. Also, if I order tonight can I expect to receive them this week? I live in New York State. Thanks.

All, brought my ranger extender from manufacturer in UK for £20 pounds. Can now fly further than 4 miles (21,000ft).

The main difference in my experience with this equipment compared to the more expensive mods is that mine only increases distance with line of sight. Great bit of tech though and only came home due to being on the limit with the battery.
Hi
Please can you give me some details of the one you bought? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers