Range extender -- incredible!

Just broke 14,000ft with the wind surfer.. It was a little unnerving at the end when the app said it's time to go home but I was going with the wind so made it back with line to spare. Love my p3

Here one a few days ago... check out that max speed!! Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-21-10-25-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-09-21-10-25-03.png
    741.5 KB · Views: 1,010
I have purchased one of these as well for £12 from eBay but I have not tried it yet. It came from China and the build quality for the money paid is very good. When it stops raining I will test it out. As for making your own, it will never look half as good as the ones you can buy. £12 is not busting your pocket considering the increased range you get

Since you have not tried it yet, how do you know if the range increases?

Holy crap 52mph??
BTW I always wondered why the crop circles.. What's that for/about?
Right!?! I didn't notice when I was flying the amount of tailwind I had. Noticed it when I uploaded my log. The circles are from when a field uses a large sprinkler instead of irrigation on the ground. The sprinkler rotates around the center axis creating a circle.

Reactions: 304HighDrone
All, brought my ranger extender from manufacturer in UK for £20 pounds. Can now fly further than 4 miles (21,000ft).

The main difference in my experience with this equipment compared to the more expensive mods is that mine only increases distance with line of sight. Great bit of tech though and only came home due to being on the limit with the battery.

From what I read, the theory of the windsurfer boosters is that they should to be parabolic to the focal point - focal point is the distance between antenna and base of the parabola.
I printed two different types found on differet sites (one with a focal of 2cm the other with 4cm) and checked whether their parabolic shape were correct.
The first one is spot on. The second one is way off.
But theory also has it that focal point should be one or half a wave length (12.5cm or 6.25cm) away which would not fit on the transmitter.
So none of these designs are optimal.

check focal.jpg

I printed one myself but used copper tape, and ended up getting 2-3 times the range. I am super happy with it.

Reactions: J.James
Same location I went 12,500ft at 400ft with out and 14,500ft at 260ft with the extender in post one. I need to try it again at 400ft as I think I should do better.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From what I read, the theory of the windsurfer boosters is that they should to be parabolic to the focal point - focal point is the distance between antenna and base of the parabola.
I printed two different types found on differet sites (one with a focal of 2cm the other with 4cm) and checked whether their parabolic shape were correct.
The first one is spot on. The second one is way off.
But theory also has it that focal point should be one or half a wave length (12.5cm or 6.25cm) away which would not fit on the transmitter.
So none of these designs are optimal.

View attachment 31397
Please explain your findings in laymen's terms. The printed boosters are not optimal, but if they increase distance by 100% it gets the job done right? 20k distance is already scary to think about.

Distance might not be an issue with most of them if you aim the P3 well, (batteries will) but in theory the better the design, the stronger your signal will be. i.e video quality as well as frame rate should remain higher, you'll be able to fly further closer to the ground or trees or whatever. A good design will be more forgiving if your aim is not as good etc.
You could make boosters that are wider than the transmitter - that will allow aiming to be less important. Its not just about flying the furthest you can in a straight line up until you just about lose signal in my opinion.

Maybe a silly question but with this range extender the antenna need to be vertical correct? And if that is the case do you need to aim the dish and antenna at the drone for better reception? With the bracket for the phone and having the antenna completely vertical it just seems a bit awkward since the dish on the antenna wants to point down rather than up in the direction of the drone. Is this important??

Maybe a silly question but with this range extender the antenna need to be vertical correct? And if that is the case do you need to aim the dish and antenna at the drone for better reception? With the bracket for the phone and having the antenna completely vertical it just seems a bit awkward since the dish on the antenna wants to point down rather than up in the direction of the drone. Is this important??
I have no idea what you just said but with the wind surfer you aim the antennas and tx normally as you would without. Then rotate yourself towards the quad, as you would do normally. No change in operating behavior.

I have no idea what you just said but with the wind surfer you aim the antennas and tx normally as you would without. Then rotate yourself towards the quad, as you would do normally. No change in operating behavior.
Hmm. Ok, it's worth a try. I may have to go for the local seller to get it by my trip to Australia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers