Range extender charging problems

Reaction score
Last time I charged my range extender I noticed it was extremely hot and the status lights were off. Now when I plug it in for a charge I get no indicator lights to tell me it it's charging or not. Has this happened to anyone else? It's still working however I am afraid it will eventually die on me and not take a charge.

Dmetz82 said:
Last time I charged my range extender I noticed it was extremely hot and the status lights were off. Now when I plug it in for a charge I get no indicator lights to tell me it it's charging or not. Has this happened to anyone else? It's still working however I am afraid it will eventually die on me and not take a charge.

Sounds to me like the li-po battery could have a fault, dont want to panic you but until someone comes along with more knowledge than me and tells you what it could be be very careful and keep the range extender away from anything combustable as li-po batteries have been known to overheat and burst into flames!!!

Can we assume you have successfully used your range extender in the past with normal case temperatures, normal indicators when charging (orange) & normal indicators when completed (green)?

Can you explain how or why the extender is "extremely hot". Does it become extremely hot as a result of charging? Is it hot because you've recently been using it flying? What do you use as a source of power to recharge your extender?

When you say it still works, do you get LED indicators for Power & System?

iDrone

iDrone said:
Can we assume you have successfully used your range extender in the past with normal case temperatures, normal indicators when charging (orange) & normal indicators when completed (green)?

Can you explain how or why the extender is "extremely hot". Does it become extremely hot as a result of charging? Is it hot because you've recently been using it flying? What do you use as a source of power to recharge your extender?

When you say it still works, do you get LED indicators for Power & System?

iDrone

Yes it works fine during flight without heating up. I have flown successfully approximately a dozen flights since I received my phantom. I sucessfully charged the range extender probably 5-6 times. The indicator lights work Normal during flight with both green lights working as they should.

I have only flown once since I noticed the abnormal heat issue after charging and it worked fine.

I have been charging it with a media bridge surge protector (pec-usbx2-acx3) via the USB ports and the last time I had it on the charger I noticed that the status lights were off and when I went to unplug it noticed it was abnormally hot. Now I get no status indicators when it's plugged in, it starts to heat up rather quickly so I unplug it. This has happened with every means I have tried to charge it. I also tried to charge it via my USB on my laptop which resulted in a power surge notifier on my PC that stated the device was in need of more power than it could provide (out of a USB 3.0 port).

I have reached out to B&H Photo as well as DJI NA and have yet to hear back from either.

I guess for now I will continue flying until I lose what remains in my battery, then I am grounded. I am not going to plug it back in and risk it bursting into flames.

Is anyone else experiencing in this? I have babied my phantom vision since purchasing it and I know this is not from any damage that I would have caused in handling.

B&H Photo Sent me an RMA so I packed up the Phantom and sent it back. I am very happy that they are standing behind the products they sell. I bought my Phantom 3 months ago so I am shocked they offered to take it back. A new range extender would have been fine. I purchased on 12/2/13. Very Very happy with B&H.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic