Range boosting thread for 4k or std.

Reaction score
So I want to start this thread to learn about the different hardware available to boost the range of my 4k. I am not interested in a what brand is better than another brand. I would like to see this as a single go to post for what hardware types are out there.

I will update this first post as I am corrected etc.

On my 4k controller I have 2 external antennas that are 2.4 ghz and one internal 5.8 ghz antenna. I have read and re read trying to find out if this previous sentence is true.

On the 4k, the 2.4 ghz wifi signal is for the control of the aircraft, while the 5.8 ghz signal is for the FPV system only.

Controller options:

1. Passive curved/parabolic reflector that slides over the stock antenna. Makes the antenna more directional, but helps gather more signal. This is for the 2.4 ghz only??

2. Antenna upgrades that are similar to the factory style antenna, but replace the factory antenna. These antennas may be longer or more efficient. These are for the 2.4ghz only??

3. Panel style antennas. Removal of the factory antennas and adding proprietary cabling from the internal pcb to the external antenna panel. Some seem to be designed for just the 2.4 ghz, while others are designed to increase dbi of both 2.4 and 5.8.

4. Spiral and helix style antennas. Removal of the stock external antennas to be replaced with an external mounted spiral or helix antenna. These are 2.4 ghz only kits or 2.4 and 5.8 together.

5. For the above mods 2, 3 and 4; in combination with those, you can add (2) active powered external amplifiers that will go between the controller and the 2.4 ghz antenna that you choose.

6. For any of the above antenna mods that give you an external 5.8 ghz antenna, you can add a single active powered amplifier between the controller and the new 5.8 antenna.

On the bird:

1. Adding (2) external bipole 2.4 ghz passive antennas for increased FPV signal.

2. Adding (2) external bipole 5.8 ghz passive antennas for increased control signal.

I know some of my information is wrong so please correct me and I will go back to this first post and make the updates.

I was unable to find a good single post that dealt strictly with the 4k's hybrid remote and was in hopes of making this the go to post.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31