Range, Bats, and Apartment Roofs... Lessons to be learned and questions I now join

Reaction score
I got my second P4 several days ago and finally flew it for the first time today.

I already have one and the gig that necessitated the second one isn't for another week but I just wanted to break it in just a little so I decided to fly it when I picked up my daughter because all the kids love it.

So here is the problem. FTR, I don't usually buy into conspiracy theories. I often think there is a reasonable answer to every THING (obviously with some minor exception).

Well today was VERY windy. Even windier than the day whenever that dude was that checked BUR airport. I thought of you (if you're reading) when I checked the Hover and the B4UFly APP and they both said 8mph winds. Well, NO and definitely gusting more than twice that. Same exact spot, and I don't care what you come back and say, as you will see in that video, in this video it was VERY windy. Gusts were making the bird move more than five to six feet and we all know that's hard to do with with a P4 or any Phantom.

First, I thought I upgraded the app and the firmware but the second time I went up, I was in a totally different app on my iPad Mini 2 which I didn't at all understand since it was already cycled both by the bird, and the Mini. No biggie.

So on my other one, I am getting really good range but I was getting most of it on this trip to Moorpark which was hard to gauge since it was so wide open but I decided I would go head to head but I only had the new one.

I fly a lot from this point so I know how far the P4 gets and it wasn't the same. The only thing I could possibly blame is the wind? I don't know but I could not get past this point. (this was Los Angeles)
IMG_0053_zpsozts942i.png

That's about 1788 feet.

Now when I was on a trip with just a valley, I was getting as far as I wanted to. As it turns out, the farthest distance I got was this and it was not across the valley.

This is as far as I got in MoorPark.

IMG_0052_zpsqt7zy9zl.png

That's 3986 feet about and mind you, I turned around because I am not a distant runner and didn't want to go any further, not because I got a screen like this.

Now, I know I am not out in the open like in Morepark but look at the signal.

IMG_0042_zpsdvvlpttn.png

Then just to test things out a little, I brought it back. Re-calibrated things and just thought maybe a cycle through would help.

Then the real problem.

IMG_0044_zpsfvyhwi2f.png

I launched the DJI GO on my phone and plugged it in (by then it was already re-connected as I was pulling out the cord to the Mini) but I put it in my phone anyway.

Flew it home but it kept hiccuping and it kept going in and out of video signal and then I just got lucky and it came back when there was about 7% left and it was not going to make it back to me. I was pretty much set on a full loss when it came back and then I had the wherewithal to land it on a building's roof that I can easily recognize. Jumped in my truck, drove to that location, walked up the roof and picked up my bird (good trick if you don't have a trackimo and you think you will either crash or have to emergency land and I had to come up with that on the fly). Harder to steal from there too. :)

Just to see whats what, I flew it 3 more bats and had no MAJOR issues but it just doesn't feel the same as my other one. Is this is an issue? Bad luck? Wind? What do you guys think?

I know I threw a lot at you but I have never had a hardware error before this and it came in droves. My "just admit you lost it at first problem" to avoid fear worked and I was already ready to lose it which is why I was okay landing it on an apartment building I never saw before. I had to check the vid to see exactly because my GPS it was hard to tell.

I'll look this over and fix any errors shortly. Have to go feed the daughter.

By the way, for all the battery watchers. With my other bird, I am getting pretty good results on bats. Haven't flown this one straight through enough but it seems pretty solid. I've got one 21 minute on it with like 28% left but I had other issues to contend with.

IMG_0049_zpsagob1uav.png

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the help guys. ;)

Well just in case someone stumbles on this, I have found with very little testing that since the new firmware and I THINK the new DJI GO app, they have made the iPad Mini 2, at least NOT AS good a player than the newer and more powerful iPhones.

Everything people complain about, I never had before and always used to just think I was lucky. Maybe it was luck but I also used to like just using my phone (iPhone 6+), not because I'm cheap and didn't want to buy one, I just liked the weight of my phone. Finally I did want the larger image and I wanted to save a little money and the Apple guy said there is virtually nothing different in the 2 and the 3 other than the fingerprint so i believed him and bought the 2. The 4 had a more powerful CPU, the A8 instead of the A7 which is in the Mini 2 and the 5s.

There is something called an MX, meaning M7, M8, M9 that are also in the phones and iPads that I never even heard of before

Well I knew i had the A7 but I also have the M7 with the Mini 2.

The CPU and the A series, we obviously know why additional CPU power is good for but did you guys even know about this M (or MOTION sensor) unit in out iOs devices? Never even heard of it until now which is amazing because this is what it's for.

"The Apple M7 (codename Oscar), M8, and M9 are motion coprocessors used by Apple Inc. in their mobile devices. Their function is to collect sensor data from integrated accelerometers, gyroscopes and compasses and offload the collecting and processing of sensor data from the main central processing unit (CPU). The M7 was introduced in September 2013 with the iPhone 5S[4][5] and the updated version, M8 was introduced in September 2014 with the iPhone 6 and also processes data from the barometer that is included in the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2.[6][7] September 2015 brought the M9 motion coprocessor embedded within the A9 chip found in the iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, and within the A9X chip found in the iPad Pro"

Their whole friggen purpose is to read the gyroscope and magnetometers, and I didn't even know they had them.

So I think the combination of me having what is really almost a 2013-2014 level processor and motion processor, was too much for the Mini 2.

I had already updated the iPhone 6+ I use to fly with so I didn't even have the opportunity to trouble shoot it, the natural first way which would be just to see if it's the new software (assuming it would have let me fly with it).

But I already had upgraded and I linked and launched and flew perfectly. I flew through 2 bats and didn't have a hiccup. It was late at night and earlier in the day I had a complete disconnect so I was a little shy to just launch it a mile away in the pitch black but I sent it pretty far, never had so much as a hiccup when with the Mini 2, I was having a hard time to even see it. In reality, I had to save it because of the issues I was having and if it turns out to be the Mini, I had to use the 6 to save it from the Mini. Ha. Seriously.

My Dad is in town this week so I probably won't be able to test stuff out until Monday. If the Mini 2 all of the sudden can't run the software and the bird well, we're going to see some pissed off people climbing out of the wood work.

I'm planning on going to Apple tomorrow and getting the Pro SE or whatever the smaller Pro is. That thing is as powerful as a mediocre computer.

I have an iPad Air 2....

Is that the Mini 2 you're referring to?

Can I expect problems?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just launched my new P4 with iPad4 Mini . . love it! . . you do need a sun shade though or it is tough to see in full sun. I just stood in some shadows and was fine. Whole system performed as advertised. Very pleased. Recharging now for another go. Highly recommend Mini4 . . 64gig is lots and the fingerprint POWER ON is a nice touch

It's the Mini 2 I'm talking about and I am not sure it is even right.

The Mini 2 has the A7 and the M7.

I think the iPad Mini 4 has an A8 over clocked and an M8.

Not sure what's in the Air 2 or the Air for that matter or if it's even the issue. I'll find out when I can do some tests. This is just based off of using my Mini for several flights with problems and then not when I used my 6+ but it might have just been a coincidence.

Will let you know.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 383
The "M" has nothing to do with the app. That co-processor is mostly for health apps, you know, for walking and such, now I may be wrong, but I don't think it HS anything to do with the DJI Go app. Now, I may be able to test something I have an IPad 3, the first Retina display one, but I use and bought an Asus ZenPad (display PPI kills all the iPads) with Intel CPU and although I'm not an android guy, it has worked really well, especially for what I paid. But I will try out the old iPad and see if she really is out classed by processes and the older A5 I believe CPU, I'll post what I find. As I'm unsure it'll just be in backyard in case it's too much to handle

I have an iPad Air 2....

Is that the Mini 2 you're referring to?

Can I expect problems?

Read the chart I posted on post #6. I once read that the iPad Air 2 performed beyond expected well on CNET but wow, look at those bench marks.

I might have to go get myself an air 2. Was gonna get a small pro but I think the air is smaller and I would rather have something smaller than the pro se but I want enough power.

There is now no question that my iPhone 6+ has a much better communication with the software than the Mini 2.

The "M" has nothing to do with the app. That co-processor is mostly for health apps, you know, for walking and such, now I may be wrong, but I don't think it HS anything to do with the DJI Go app. Now, I may be able to test something I have an IPad 3, the first Retina display one, but I use and bought an Asus ZenPad (display PPI kills all the iPads) with Intel CPU and although I'm not an android guy, it has worked really well, especially for what I paid. But I will try out the old iPad and see if she really is out classed by processes and the older A5 I believe CPU, I'll post what I find. As I'm unsure it'll just be in backyard in case it's too much to handle

That would be great if you would do that!

I am not sure but would love to know. I just sort of figured since it's the Go App has maps and GPS and stuff that it uses from the phone, it might use the electromegnemeters and gyroscopes for some of the readings and stuff. I am not sure of it, but it would make sense right? I am not a coder at all (although I understand sdk workflows) and I would guess off the cuff that the motion chip is utilized but I wouldn't bet on it either.

Also, be careful if you test with that old iPad 3 which isn't terribly old so may work. But if it does the mini 2 is definitely not the problem.

Make sure you are up to that new look app because that's when it started with the Mini for me and only on the newer bird. Haven't even tested the other yet. Yeah, but be careful where you are flying. Make sure you can switch to ATTI and just fly it without the app if be desert because I think there is a rathe good chance it might not work well.

That would be great if you would do that!

I am not sure but would love to know. I just sort of figured since it's the Go App has maps and GPS and stuff that it uses from the phone, it might use the electromegnemeters and gyroscopes for some of the readings and stuff. I am not sure of it, but it would make sense right? I am not a coder at all (although I understand sdk workflows) and I would guess off the cuff that the motion chip is utilized but I wouldn't bet on it either.

Also, be careful if you test with that old iPad 3 which isn't terribly old so may work. But if it does the mini 2 is definitely not the problem.

Make sure you are up to that new look app because that's when it started with the Mini for me and only on the newer bird. Haven't even tested the other yet. Yeah, but be careful where you are flying. Make sure you can switch to ATTI and just fly it without the app if be desert because I think there is a rathe good chance it might not work well.

Well I DO know this jussaguy, the app AutoFlightLogic does indeed use both your device and your crafts Barometer, of course most Androids don't have a barometer but all the IPhones do. The app actually compares while in flight to reduce altitude problems and what have you. I thought that is pretty cool and became a beta tester soon after.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20