Range Anxiety - What's your comfort range?

Yes, when flying in my neighborhood this happens sometimes (behind trees, etc). However, I don't worry too much because I know that my RTH height is set correctly for the area. Biggest problem is people not realizing how tall stuff really is and once that RTH kicks in and clearly not LOS, perhaps you didn't realize there was a 90ft oak tree in that guy's back yard. Just think before you fly and it'll be easier on the nerves. And trust in the bird... these P3's are so far ahead of the P2's I rarely worry about it not coming home if I go out too far. have fun!

That is so important. You sure as hell want to make sure you have that set high enough. If in the slightest doubt, add in that 50'.

I experienced my first abrupt loss of signal the the other day. I was only out under 1/2 mile, then dropped down to get a closer look at a building where I work. No loss of bars, just instant red "Signal Lost". I think my decent put a couple, or more concrete building in my LOS. But it flew home like a champ.

Admittedly I'm still a wimp with it because I don't want to lose it our crash it and I'm not 100% comfortable with its abilities .....
Do you ever have situations where your signal goes from 4 bars to nothing and you can't get it back?
Just not sure what to expect.
RTH is a critical part of learning to fly a Phantom.
Instead of being not sure what to expect, it is important that you do know.
There are three pages on RTH in the manual.
Read them and understand.
Then go out and try RTH for yourself so that when ether you need RTH or it happens automatically, you know what is happening and how it all works.
And learn to cancel RTH as well and resume control.
You are probably better at finding a good landing place than your Phantom.

I take my p3 to the very limits. I live where there is no air traffic or neighbors within 2 miles.

Here's a recent short video of a few of my escapades....

SkyPixel

I haven't flown my P3P that came yesterday yet...spent the evening upgrading FW and reading etc. But I watched a video on YouTube of a guy flying his P3 out over Lake Ontario to check out a tanker ship at anchor. 6,000 feet plus out in wind....he got a number of weak signal then signal lost and then the signal came back....he seemed un-phased...all went well and he flew back. I was stunned that you can go that far based on previous drones I have had from Blade etc. Very encouraging. Of course, he had absolutely open line of sight and no intervening objects from beach / shoreline to ship.

44.000 ft out and back, no prob. Stock RC of course. IMG_0300 copy.PNG

Line of sight, 15-20,000 ft one way. Any more and you risk battery depletion.

The farthest I've gone is 2.12 miles. But I was nervous the whole way considering I lose visual contact about 1/10 of that distance.

I fly around my neighborhood all the time, i pre-calibrate the compass in an open area within a few miles of where I'll be flying.

I've flown out 2.7km at night. There are plenty of times I initiate RTH when the signal gets a bit low.

Always make sure "The Home Point has been set. Please check it on the map."

I just installed my new DBS Mod today easy process to be honest cannot wait to test this baby out aiming for 15,000feet out
And 15,000ft back. Height (397ft)
On my windsurfer I got around 9800 ft out and 9800ft back height 397ft but I hate coming back with signal lost. ( scares the crap out of me)

Hoping this mod I installed keep my signal coming back I will be a happy bunny.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Not feeling comfortable is fly further is not a bad thing at all. Take your time as slowly expand are you feel comfortable.

As far as RTH, I feel differently than many people. I never use RTH unless I have no other choice. When uses, toy give up all manual control and need to hope the automated system works correctly. This means the compass needs to be correct and the home spot is correct. While This is almost never an issue, why chance it if you don't need to.

Reactions: jimerb and Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31