Random Question about Part 107

Reaction score
So I'm a hobbyist I fly for fun, I've made a Facebook page and someone message me about doing some flying for them at a park. I don't have my commercial license and I was wondering if I can do what he wants me to do for free. I would be happy just to make a video at his location for fun and he would be happy because it wouldn't cost him anything. Is this okay? I just enjoy making videos, I'm not in need for money

Technically, if you fly to further a business, whether it's for yourself or someone else then it's falls under the part 107 flying rules. It's really a matter of intended purpose. If, say you flew the park just for fun to get a cool video and then someone saw it and asked if they could use it, well then it would not be under part 107. Wow, just confused myself.

Technically, if you fly to further a business, whether it's for yourself or someone else then it's falls under the part 107 flying rules. It's really a matter of intended purpose. If, say you flew the park just for fun to get a cool video and then someone saw it and asked if they could use it, well then it would not be under part 107. Wow, just confused myself.

Its confusing lol. Its just a one time thing, usually drones are not allowed where this person wants me to fly it. Wanting to use it for advertising and I'm just an hobbyist so I cant accept money which I dont want money I just want to make a cool video for my audience if that makes sense lol

As long as you are making the video for your personal enjoyment, the FAA has no problem - you're on your own dealing with local authorities and rules. And while the locals can't really regulate airspace, they can and do control land use that may make it possible to get to an area where you want to fly. Sounds like you might be on thin ice here since some one approached you about taking videos of this area for them. That gets you out of the 'for personal use' arena and under Part 107.

Doesn't matter whether you get paid or not. If the ultimate use is commercial, the flight op is commercial and you would have to have your Part 107 certificate.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl