Random Fly Away with vid..

Reaction score
I been flying my P2 for a few months with no problems.

I do a compass calibration prior to take off and wait for a GPS lock.
Everything has been smooth every time I fly except for this week.

It started when I was flying in reverse and let go of the stick and it kept on going. I shut the controller off and it returned to home and landed safely.

I brought it home and put it on the assistant and seen the mod for the compass was out of range ~3500, so I did a advanced cal on the IMU, took it outside and did a compass cal.
Ran a test flight and every thing was ok.

I went to fly today so I put it on the assistant and the compass was all in range.
I went to where I was going to fly.. did a cal, waited for GPS lock, took off and it flew away to the right. Did a FS and it returned home.

I moved a few hundred yards away, did another cal.
Test flew until the battery was low and landed with no problems.

Put another battery in, waited for GPS lock, lifted off.. Fly away to the right instantly .. CRASH

Found it in the woods with some damage .. put it on the assistant and everything looks in range...

Any suggestions ????
http://youtu.be/sP0FPaY4c-c

Hmm... seems like someone here had a similar issue a long time ago. Can't remember the post, but have you thought about a possible problem with your controller? Maybe there's a loose wire or connection in there that's causing these extreme fly-aways?

Recently saw a documentary about these guys filming a treehouse in the Amazon jungle and their copter randomly flew away. They discovered it was an issue with the controller (internal). One of the sticks was not making contact properly with some internal part. Just a thought.

Good suggestion... I found the problem I think . ( hope ) It was the controller.
The trim settings were turned up to 14 on the right side.
On the Futaba controller, it is easy to move the trim tabs without knowing.

I rebuilt the P2 and after my test flight, it seems ok ..

Yes on Futaba those little trim adjustment switches are easy to bump. Also when doing your IMU calibrations, I make a habit of doing stick cals first.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1